and poachers would run rampant
Exactly.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Draws should be more money
$20/draw min
No group entering
How often do you see guys on here or Facebook forums saying “ im a priority 15 for elk or mule deer where should I go?”
If your a 15 that means you haven’t been in the bush for a while/ever
You’ve been the 4th selection in a group draw
You can look at their profiles and see there is a decade where they haven’t even lived here.
And really, what’s $20 these days? $100 isn’t even a tank of gas
I’m a P13 for bull moose and was born in Alberta...could easily make it a P15 but this year works for me so I’m pulling my tag.however you are correct I havnt been in the bush for a while because I live in the prairies
Old 05-27-2019, 12:13 PM
Banned

So your saying make it an elite sport for only the rich. That's pretty self serving isn't it. Get rid of priority then.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Banned

$20 bucks wont stop any legit hunter or huntress from applying
It will stop people from entering randoms, who are only added because you have space for 4 applicants per entry

I think buying your hunters certificate is huge too
People should have to declare their residency when they are applying also
That way you shouldn't get guys claiming to be residents of multiple provinces at the same time

I'm not knocking the guys who have high priorities
I'm just saying that it would be great to figure out a way to discourage people who are abusing the system and inflating priorites
If a solution can't be found, wait times are just going to be getting longer

All my complaining really doesnt matter
Unless they reduce the unregualted harvesting of animals we are all screwed
Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Absolutely! Five draws at $20 each is still only $100, which is a very insignificant percentage of my hunting/shooting budget every year.
For most people $100 is not much. There are some though that live on a tight budget. Applying should not weed out the poor. Tag prices though should go up. Then if you cant afford it, don’t apply. I do believe that there is an old law that says anyone can sustinence hunt if need be, I may be wrong.
Charge non- res a substantial amount for tags.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
For most people $100 is not much. There are some though that live on a tight budget. Applying should not weed out the poor. Tag prices though should go up. Then if you can't afford it, don’t apply. I do believe that there is an old law that says anyone can sustenance hunt if need be, I may be wrong.
Charge non- res a substantial amount for tags.
Honestly if you cant afford $100 for draws than how would you possibly get to the hunting area that you would need to go to? Or ammo for your rifle etc. I get a kick out of anyone that says its cheap meat.....
To me the bigger problem is the draw prices compared to the tag price.

You would have a heck of a time trying to convince a judge that you drove 3-4 hours in your truck to go elk hunting and that you couldnt afford the price of the license.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:07 PM

WOW. 3 goat tags for the entire province this year. Was 9 last year. Damn idiots shooting nannies....
Old 05-27-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
WOW. 3 goat tags for the entire province this year. Was 9 last year. Damn idiots shooting nannies....
How do know that was the cause? Could it not have been natural mortality, or possibly even unregulated hunters killing some goats?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
That’s a myth. We shot a 9.5yr old billy last year and it’s closed this year.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying that it would be great to figure out a way to discourage people who are abusing the system and inflating priorites
They aren't abusing a thing. In fact, they are forced to do it if they wish to hunt certain zones or species under the current system.

The system is broken, but people with high priorities aren't "abusing" anything by participating. Agreed that a solution needs to be found though. God forbid Government would look at other jurisdictions in North America and make a proactive change.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Honestly if you cant afford $100 for draws than how would you possibly get to the hunting area that you would need to go to? Or ammo for your rifle etc. I get a kick out of anyone that says its cheap meat.....

You would have a heck of a time trying to convince a judge that you drove 3-4 hours in your truck to go elk hunting and that you couldnt afford the price of the license.
Well, I do know a family that eats plenty of doe meat throughout the year because it is cheaper than beef. $3 to apply. $40 per tag. Done hunting in a day.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
They aren't abusing a thing. In fact, they are forced to do it if they wish to hunt certain zones or species under the current system.

The system is broken, but people with high priorities aren't "abusing" anything by participating. Agreed that a solution needs to be found though. God forbid Government would look at other jurisdictions in North America and make a proactive change.
Your missing the message
If people weren’t abusing it by including their moms and family members for an example, that “don’t hunt”. Or if you weren’t competing against guys hunting back home on the rock. You would be getting your draw more often.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
$20 bucks wont stop any legit hunter or huntress from applying
It will stop people from entering randoms, who are only added because you have space for 4 applicants per entry

I think buying your hunters certificate is huge too
People should have to declare their residency when they are applying also
That way you shouldn't get guys claiming to be residents of multiple provinces at the same time

All my complaining really doesnt matter
Unless they reduce the unregualted harvesting of animals we are all screwed
How do you abuse the system by gaining priority??

LC
Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Well, I do know a family that eats plenty of doe meat throughout the year because it is cheaper than beef. $3 to apply. $40 per tag. Done hunting in a day.
They should go hunt supplemental whitetail
Get 2 in some zone for $15
They can save 28 bucks
Probably save even more if you picked bottles in the ditch along the way
Old 05-27-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Isn't that the point of a priority system?
Old 05-27-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Draws should be more money
$20/draw min
No group entering
How often do you see guys on here or Facebook forums saying “ im a priority 15 for elk or mule deer where should I go?”
If your a 15 that means you haven’t been in the bush for a while/ever
You’ve been the 4th selection in a group draw
You can look at their profiles and see there is a decade where they haven’t even lived here.
And really, what’s $20 these days? $100 isn’t even a tank of gas
So your saying because I have a priority 14 for moose I’m not in the field and I can’t be from Alberta? This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in a while. Some times priorities in life change and you have to put things on the back burner. Why wouldn’t you continue to build priority points while you wait for the right time?
Old 05-27-2019, 07:47 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Lefty-Canuck;3981694]How do you abuse the system by gaining priority??

LC[/QUO

Easy
By adding wives/girlfriends/kids/parents/friends that aren’t really hunters to your group draws. Then you just partner hunt their tag
Or by claiming your a resident of multiple provinces and when you get your draw from Alberta. You just “move” here
When it’s $4 for 4 applicants, why not put everyone in
Old 05-27-2019, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
So your saying because I have a priority 14 for moose I’m not in the field and I can’t be from Alberta? This is the most ridiculous thing I’ve read in a while. Some times priorities in life change and you have to put things on the back burner. Why wouldn’t you continue to build priority points while you wait for the right time?
Read post 64
Old 05-27-2019, 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=marky_mark;3981735]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC[/QUO

Easy
By adding wives/girlfriends/kids/parents/friends that aren’t really hunters to your group draws. Then you just partner hunt their tag
Or by claiming your a resident of multiple provinces and when you get your draw from Alberta. You just “move” here
When it’s $4 for 4 applicants, why not put everyone in
An adult can only get partner licenses for moose, and the other people could get their licenses just as easily by applying on their own anyways. As for the people from other provinces, that has been addressed this year, you can't legally hold a resident license here if you hold a resident license in another province.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your missing the message
If people weren’t abusing it by including their moms and family members for an example, that “don’t hunt”. Or if you weren’t competing against guys hunting back home on the rock. You would be getting your draw more often.
I thought you had to take the hunter training course. Simple solution if you don’t like it move to a different province, because obviously money is no object for you.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:25 PM

That has nothing to do with the system, it has to do with cheaters and the enforcement of the rules.

LC
Old 05-27-2019, 08:28 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3981743]
Quote:

An adult can only get partner licenses for moose, and the other people could get their licenses just as easily by applying on their own anyways. As for the people from other provinces, that has been addressed this year, you can't legally hold a resident license here if you hold a resident license in another province.
Just wondering how they're going to enforce the resident tag law or what did they change to change that thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 08:31 PM

I am thinking it will be a declaration, and perhaps some cross jurisdiction cooperation.

LC
Old 05-27-2019, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=35 whelen;3981765]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just wondering how they're going to enforce the resident tag law or what did they change to change that thanks

With pretty much everyone using computerized systems these days, it wouldn't be difficult.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3981774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

With pretty much everyone using computerized systems these days, it wouldn't be difficult.
Well that would be nice if it works

Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
I thought you had to take the hunter training course. Simple solution if you don’t like it move to a different province, because obviously money is no object for you.
You can do a hunters training course online
Which means someone else can take it for you

$100 to enter people for draws is just enough to deter people from abusing it

In Alberta born and raised
This is my home
The writing is on the wall
More unregulated harvesting
Too many transient hunters
Our opportunities are only going to get worse unless changes are made
Old 05-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Regarding the new draws. An important change that wasn't mentioned in the 'Important Changes' section is that the 6 draws for antlerless elk at Subfield ( 3 in November and 3 in January) have been reduced to only 3 draws in January.

Here's the response to my inquiry:

"Thank you for the inquiry yesterday and yes you are correct there is only the three seasons in the draw for the elk Suffield hunt for this year. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with."
Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;3981774]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

Crazy that it took this long for our gov't to address this issue of people claiming multiple province residency, It's been known for years. I sure hope they go after the cheaters of the system asap.....
Old 05-28-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:

If you already own the rifle and ammo then it is cheaper. Last years deer cost me the tag and a 1/8th tank of gas. Lets say $100 all in with a take home of about 80 pounds of meat or $1.25/pound. Even the cheap ground beef is $3/pound not factoring in steak and roast prices. If you happen to already live on land you can hunt its even cheaper. While it certainly is an expensive hobby to get into, hunting can be relatively cheap compared to buying meat directly once you already own the gear.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-28-2019, 07:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
If you already own the rifle and ammo then it is cheaper. Last years deer cost me the tag and a 1/8th tank of gas. Lets say $100 all in with a take home of about 80 pounds of meat or $1.25/pound. Even the cheap ground beef is $3/pound not factoring in steak and roast prices. If you happen to already live on land you can hunt its even cheaper. While it certainly is an expensive hobby to get into, hunting can be relatively cheap compared to buying meat directly once you already own the gear.
So are you talking about a draw tag animal here or just shooting the first whitetail you see and calling it a season?

I’m only making suggestions and throwing out ideas that could possibly solve the problem with the ever increasing time to get a draw. I’m taking about $100 ish to enter all your draws for the season not being a financial burden for 99.9% of the population. No one would be forcing anyone to pay or forcing people to enter all of the species.
If your talking about blasting the first deer that you see to save money just so you “fill your freezer”. We aren’t having the same conversation.