Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
And so for antelope ( a priority species), assuming a 10 year wait, that would be
a $2500.00 in application fees before paying for your license ?
And 10 years is optimistic, the 90+ % reduction in resident tag numbers in 2011, and the slow increase in tag numbers in the following years has created a huge backlog, and the full effect has not been seen in the required draw priorities yet. A person starting to apply now, with no priority , could easily wait 15-20 years for a tag.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
This comment is a joke.
Applications should be easily affordable. If drawn, tags could double in price. That wouldnt bother me. But, tags should still be auto paid when drawn.
I like; wildlife certificate prior to applying, 'affordable' draws, and full auto-paid tags when drawn'. If necessary, increase the price of tags.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:04 PM

Default Draws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Make draws $50 per application. $250 for priority species.
$500 for lottery!

$3.65 is and absolute joke and cheapest in North America.
I’ve seen some retarded comments on this forum before, but this one takes the cake!
Old 05-26-2019, 01:14 PM

I am super excited, i may cry when the results come out, but I should have priority this season for a muley buck.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And 10 years is optimistic, the 90+ % reduction in resident tag numbers in 2011, and the slow increase in tag numbers in the following years has created a huge backlog, and the full effect has not been seen in the required draw priorities yet. A person starting to apply now, with no priority , could easily wait 15-20 years for a tag.
We could go back to the good old days where you put your draws in and take your chances. First year hunting for me I got a antelope tag and a mule deer tag.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
We could go back to the good old days where you put your draws in and take your chances. First year hunting for me I got a antelope tag and a mule deer tag.
I much prefer the priority system, even if I do have to wait, at least I know that I will eventually draw most tags.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
I much prefer the priority system, even if I do have to wait, at least I know that I will eventually draw most tags.
They could make it where your only allowed to hold two tags. One general and one draw tag with no 999ing allowed. You could still build priorities, but when you get close to drawing the tags you only put in for the tag you want while the others sit idle for that year and not build a higher priority for that year.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
They could make it where your only allowed to hold two tags. One general and one draw tag with no 999ing allowed. You could still build priorities, but when you get close to drawing the tags you only put in for the tag you want while the others sit idle for that year and not build a higher priority for that year.
The 999 is the best thing that they have done, you can actually make plans, because you can pretty much be sure of drawing if you enter with a couple of more points that is normally required.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
There has always been a way around that...by what you suggest you are going to get people pulling tags they don’t want in zones they don’t know. 999 is a good thing trust me!

LC
Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 PM
Banned

Another change that should be made. Anything that is on a random draw should be once in a lifetime.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Another change that should be made. Anything that is on a random draw should be once in a lifetime.
Goat is once in a lifetime, no bison again this year...what else is there?

LC
Old 05-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
There has always been a way around that...by what you suggest you are going to get people pulling tags they don’t want in zones they don’t know. 999 is a good thing trust me!

LC
It would make one do they’re homework, and wouldn’t have everyone putting in for every tag out there all the time building priorities.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Goat is once in a lifetime, no bison again this year...what else is there?

LC
A couple sheep zones. 438, 437 a few others

Another change that has been beat to death is no draws for non-res that res require a 3 priority or higher.

Last edited by boah; 05-26-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
It would make one do they’re homework, and wouldn’t have everyone putting in for every tag out there all the time building priorities.
You have a lot more faith than I do .

LC
Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I’ve seen some retarded comments on this forum before, but this one takes the cake!
Welcome to the real word trigger, got put in for any state. Your paying for a pricey hunting licence up front and significant cash for priority tags. This $3.65 is a joke abused by too many newfie’s and the rest.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
If you do the math. Antelope is once in a lifetime now.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
This comment is a joke.
Applications should be easily affordable. If drawn, tags could double in price. That wouldnt bother me. But, tags should still be auto paid when drawn.
Agreed. The fees should cover the costs of administrating the draw and maybe a little more. Maybe they could be more, but let the actual license fees fund the ministry.

In general, I'm in favour of increasing hunting fees as this funds wildlife management. The government listens to hunters relative to the level of funding provided.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
If you do the math. Antelope is once in a lifetime now.
Yes, unless the number of hunters drops off a cliff.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Agreed. The fees should cover the costs of administrating the draw and maybe a little more. Maybe they could be more, but let the actual license fees fund the ministry.

In general, I'm in favour of increasing hunting fees as this funds wildlife management. The government listens to hunters relative to the level of funding provided.
Ministry? All the fees are going to relm an American based company.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
The 999 is the best thing that they have done, you can actually make plans, because you can pretty much be sure of drawing if you enter with a couple of more points that is normally required.
You have just described how 999 adds to priority creep!!!!
Old 05-27-2019, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the real word trigger, got put in for any state. Your paying for a pricey hunting licence up front and significant cash for priority tags. This $3.65 is a joke abused by too many newfie’s and the rest.
Aint that the truth. Its easy to have to front over $10K for a round of applications each season south of the border if your applying in a few states. And your paying into the 4 figures for that license if drawn.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 AM

Can’t agree with a 999 app needing ur Lic , makes no sense as it does not affect any waiting time for anyone else, because it’s not really a draw app.
If it happens, no biggie, another $28 ea applicant for a 999.
Specific zone apps, sure, good idea.

TBark
Old 05-27-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
You have just described how 999 adds to priority creep!!!!
Before 999, we just applied with someone that had no priority, or that didn't have enough priority. It amounted to the same thing, but wasn't as convenient.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Aint that the truth. Its easy to have to front over $10K for a round of applications each season south of the border if your applying in a few states. And your paying into the 4 figures for that license if drawn.
100%
Draws should be more expensive here
So should tags
Would weed out at least a few guys from other provinces that apply as residents here and switch addresses before the season
The demand from residents is so high that they should restrict/remove non residents from applying for any draws
There should be a minimum 6 month til a new resident can apply for a resident hunting license
The system is far to easily abused right now
Old 05-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
100%
So should tags
Would weed out at least a few guys from other provinces that apply as residents here and switch addresses before the season
The demand from residents is so high that they should restrict/remove non residents from applying for any draws
There should be a minimum 6 month til a new resident can apply for a resident hunting license
Measurable standards for who should be considered a resident have been brought up, hopefully the new Government will act on recommendations.

LC
Old 05-27-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
100%
So should tags
There's an easier fix then raising prices, why punish the residents who pay their taxes. Have to be a resident for a year and have proof of residency and taxation for Alberta. Get rid of nonresident tags all together.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
There's an easier fix then raising prices, why punish the residents who pay their taxes. Have to be a resident for a year and have proof of residency and taxation for Alberta. Get rid of nonresident tags all together.
Draws should be more money
$20/draw min
No group entering
How often do you see guys on here or Facebook forums saying “ im a priority 15 for elk or mule deer where should I go?”
If your a 15 that means you haven’t been in the bush for a while/ever
You’ve been the 4th selection in a group draw
You can look at their profiles and see there is a decade where they haven’t even lived here.
And really, what’s $20 these days? $100 isn’t even a tank of gas
Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Draws should be more money
$20/draw min
No group entering
How often do you see guys on here or Facebook forums saying “ im a priority 15 for elk or mule deer where should I go?”
If your a 15 that means you haven’t been in the bush for a while/ever
You’ve been the 4th selection in a group draw
You can look at their profiles and see there is a decade where they haven’t even lived here.
And really, what’s $20 these days? $100 isn’t even a tank of gas
Group draws allow family and friends to get together for hunts, especially those that hat require considerable travel and planning. Yes there are people with a P15 that haven't been in the field, but there are also people with a P15 that were in the field every year, but were concentrating on other species. I was a P14 for antlered mule deer, because I was waiting until I retired, and lived closer to where I wanted to hunt. I was a P14 for pronghorn, because my partners started applying a few years after me, and we wanted to hunt together for a species that they had never hunted. You are making assumptions, that are flawed.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Group draws allow family and friends to get together for hunts, especially those that hat require considerable travel and planning. Yes there are people with a P15 that haven't been in the field, but there are also people with a P15 that were in the field every year, but were concentrating on other species. I was a P14 for antlered mule deer, because I was waiting until I retired, and lived closer to where I wanted to hunt. I was a P14 for pronghorn, because my partners started applying a few years after me, and we wanted to hunt together for a species that they had never hunted. You are making assumptions, that are flawed.
If draws were $20 each would you still enter?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
If draws were $20 each would you still enter?
Absolutely! Five draws at $20 each is still only $100, which is a very insignificant percentage of my hunting/shooting budget every year.