Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM

Question Channel Cats in Alberta???

So we were headed to PCR the other day, when we stopped at the Nanton gas station i took a look at the book called "Fish of Alberta", now i've got the same sort of feild guide book for reptiles of alberta, birds of alberta, and trees of alberta, so i figured it's a decent guide right? but it said there were channel catfish and 3 other species of catfish all the way up the rockies to northen alberta! now i've never really tried fishing catfish at all but really?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 512FNN77TZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (21.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 PM

channel cats are not unheard of... but your more likely to find them closer to Saskatchewan... never up in the head waters

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 PM

If there was... I'd be in heaven.... I love fighting those big buggers in the Red River
Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 PM

the slow, lazy rivers near the sask border can hold cats depending on the year... its all very rare and there nothing like the red river... but like i said... there not unheard of.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 PM

i have only heard of the catfish in the Milk river i think near the border to montana.i would also love to catch these guys too.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM

That would be great to have a catchable population in southern alberrta.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:51 PM
sheephunter

There is some evidence to suggest that there were a few channel cats in Alberta over 200 years ago but presently the only species found here are stone cats according to Paetz. Channel cats have been recorded in eastern Saskatchewan but are anything but common.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There is some evidence to suggest that there were a few channel cats in Alberta over 200 years ago but presently the only species found here are stone cats according to Paetz. Channel cats have been recorded in eastern Saskatchewan but are anything but common.
X2
Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
excellent in depth book by paetz. anyone serious should read "fishes of alberta".
Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
excellent in depth book by paetz. anyone serious should read "fishes of alberta".
If I remember correctly, the book shown in the original post makes many references to the Paetz. It seemed more of an "updated" version of the Paetz to me. Not really different in content, but better illustrated. But again, only if I remember correctly.