Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Default Fishing line (spincasting) <what's the best choice?

Hey guys! Ok I'm sick and tired of this braided spiderwire line that I have. I mean it's super strong but all my casts r kinda rough and bumpy if you know what I mean. Fh7 reel casts like a dream. Omg ! He uses p line, flouroclear?? It is only like $10! I think. Anyways I need a new line that is cheap. Like nothing over $15. It must sail like a dream through the air. What should I get. Probably about a 10-15 lb test. I have a r type reel and a shimano rod
Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Hey guys! Ok I'm sick and tired of this braided spiderwire line that I have. I mean it's super strong but all my casts r kinda rough and bumpy if you know what I mean. Fh7 reel casts like a dream. Omg ! He uses p line, flouroclear?? It is only like $10! I think. Anyways I need a new line that is cheap. Like nothing over $15. It must sail like a dream through the air. What should I get. Probably about a 10-15 lb test. I have a r type reel and a shimano rod
why not buy what FH7 is using then?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:14 AM

Spend the 19 dollars at wss for fireline that's all I use casts like a dream and strong. Brought in a 28.5 sturgeon on 8 pound test. Hope this helps.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
why not buy what FH7 is using then?
I use 8 pound mono trilene
Old 07-03-2011, 12:56 AM

Go like the Chubbdarter, Suffix. Never look back.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 AM

If you can find it try the new Berkley nanofil.

It is a thinner diameter then any other line and is suppose to cast really nice.

What are you catching that you need 10-15lbs test?

I would say 8 lbs super lines would be pretty much all you need for any kind of fishing in Alberta.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Go like the Chubbdarter, Suffix. Never look back.
meeting Duster at 4am...your welcome to join
Old 07-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Iused spider wire before an didnt like it i use bait caster reals an i just switch to sufix an it ccasts way nices and feels way smoother.idk if it how i put line on the real but i always get ththose twists with. Spincaster
Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 AM

PLINE FLOURO CLEAR IN GREEN=$15bucks now...
Old 07-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Nanofil looks like fire line crystal which is trash. In fact fire line has pretty bad knot strength, losses color and splinters . It's garbage , I would try the pline fluro as mentioned above. I myself have been using the elite vicious fluro and I love the stuff. Many of you may not recognize the brand but it's a major player in bass tournament fishing.

I have also used sun line sniper and suffix fluro two more great lines . Triliene fluro is great and a hidden gem lots of people are talking about is the bass pro fluro. It's the best value and the line will not let you down.

Braid has it's place but I pretty much only run braid on my flipping rod
Old 07-03-2011, 09:36 AM

If you use fluro be sure to spool up. Then dunk the spool in warm water . Or spray a bunch of the kvd line conditioner and lightly blow dry the spool...

Your fluro issues should be solved . I know alot of people hate fluro for that coiling issue but the line is transparent. It sinks faster , less stretch then mono, abrasion resist....etc
Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM

i switched from suffix 832 braid to Nanofil it is not garbage casts great
Old 07-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Banned

I like Maxima mono the best but have had good results with Trilene XT and Big Game. I dont know what the little spools cost cause I never buy them but a big bulk spool of Maxima costs about $30. At Crappy tire you can get a bulk spool of Trilene Big Game for about $10, awfuly hard to say no to that.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Banned

Hate the braided stuff, just too fussy of a line,, Maxima and Trilene all the way for me, give me good ol'stretch over that braided stuff. My Dad found a spool of older 8lb test line he picked up in Oregon a few years back,, super smooth casting and little memory, and re-spooled a few reels.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 PM

my first rod was spooled with braid it all i have ever known
Old 07-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

i use trilene XL. its cheap and casts easy with no stupid ass wind knots or anything to worry about, i use 8 pound and it holds up well enough in most situations.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM

I use those big huge spools of diawa 12lb test... super thin clear line pretty sure its trilene? if you treat it right it will outlive you.. never had a break off because of line wear, and it comes in different hues, like moss green etc etc...I still have a huge spool of diawa 12lb from the 80's.. was my friends fathers and its my go-to for any alta river fishing, If i snag up I can pretty much just pull slow and hard and bend my hook out of any snag, no matter how badly hooked. and i can cast 50-70ft using only a 6'6 rod with this diawa stuff..

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "
Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamehunter View Post
Berkley Trilene XL Fishing Line smooth casting
Old 07-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by little archer_99 View Post
Berkley Trilene XL Fishing Line smooth casting
I dont deny that Trilene XL is very nice line to fish with, but in snaggy water I've had better results using stiffer more abrasion resistant line. Maxima and Trilene Big Game line are a good compromise, easy to handle but tough as well.