Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Default The future of classic muscle cars ?

With all the buzz about climate change and the evolution of the electric vehicles, where do the classics fit in our future ?

Will the value hold true and the real classics still be in demand ?

Personally I think they will retain the current values, but won't appreciate much...
Old 11-20-2019, 04:54 PM

The big market for old muscle cars is baby boomers with money...

As the boomers fade away so will these cars, there will still be a market to a degree, just like people still buy model T’s but the market is going stagnant and they will depreciate in value some.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:17 PM

I think it will always be a strong market and value will go up if anything. Supply and demand.

Lots of people who weren't around in the years these amazing muscle cars were brought out still have an interest in them.
It's not just about what you had when you were younger or what was rolling off the line at the time. My Corvette is 10 years older than I am and was a 26 year old car when I first got a licence my Nova was even older yet.

I think the real market with be in original untouched cars then the next will be in restored to original. Lots of guys (myself included) enjoy the building up of cars and I wouldn't want to start with someones completed restoration.

As time goes on there is less and less of these cars around. Rusted away, parted out or wrecked then the ones that are completely disassembled with good intentions never to be rebuilt.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:28 PM

I was at barrett jackson with my dad. When he married my mom my grandfather was very well off, my dad said if he had a crystal ball he would have borrowed $40,000 boought 10 69 challengers and parked them.

That day in scottsdale a 69 numbers matching plum purple with likee 500 original miles went for nearly a mil!!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
The big market for old muscle cars is baby boomers with money...

As the boomers fade away so will these cars, there will still be a market to a degree, just like people still buy model T’s but the market is going stagnant and they will depreciate in value some.
I know of several cases where owners couldn't recoup their investment in old cars, to some of us that's all they are. They require special storage, that's not always easy to come by, Jay Leno being the exception .

Grizz
Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 PM

I love the hobby as much as anyone else, spend lots on my c10 parts, but I think it is going to falter somewhat as the money dries up to overpay for this stuff. Its too expensive, and the next gen are already behind he 8 ball with stupid housing prices etc.. Buyer pool will shrink.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:14 PM

My son is in grade 11. He likes The Beatles. He makes me take him to Little Lot to look at muscle cars and drool. They will be just fine.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:58 PM

They’ll continue to increase in value as supply dwindles. Expensive hobby. I can clearly imagine my old vehicles stripped to the chassis, on there way to revival. Ain’t going to happen though (sigh).
Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
My son is in grade 11. He likes The Beatles. He makes me take him to Little Lot to look at muscle cars and drool. They will be just fine.
My son is in grade 11 too and all he or his friends want are souped-up civics and sports cars, not old hot rods or muscle cars.

I would agree there will always be a market for old iron, but I see the value of them going down a bit once the baby-boomers pass on. That generation had a connection to those cars because they grew up looking at and wanting them. Owning one brings them back to their youth. I’m a gen-x’r born in ‘72. I could see my generation still wanting one, as I do, but I don’t see most people my age having that connection to the point where they would pay just about anything to have one, like some boomers would.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
With all the buzz about climate change and the evolution of the electric vehicles, where do the classics fit in our future ?

Will the value hold true and the real classics still be in demand ?

Personally I think they will retain the current values, but won't appreciate much...
Hard to know for sure.

I see quite a few muscle cars re-fitted with modern power brakes, power steering, better handling suspension, better performing calipers and even some go as far as crate engines and transmissions. These are really no longer classics are they?

I'm not sure where the "line" is between "original classic" versus "modified and improved".

For me I'd be adding power steering and brakes to keep the car safe, and maybe look at tightening up the suspension and handling. The rest might be re-upholstered, re-painted, re-built.

Certainly the more you do to it, the more you take away the character of the classic vehicle.

And at some point further down the line, you might as well buy a modern corvette or mustang.

I think there will always be a market for vehicles like these - it's just along what lines .... original classic, or something in between, or a modern version of the muscle car.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:35 PM

Hindsight is 20/20 and if you bought the right cars at the right time you wouldn’t have a worry in the world. IMO the real classics and established valuable muscle cars will only appreciate with time. Most high value collector cars are not being driven anyway.... so gas being expensive, or greenhouse concerns I don’t think will impact much. At least in the next 10-20 years. More on more old guys will be realizing they have boat loads of cash sitting around and might as well treat themselves.

Also people are still buying these cars strictly as investments. I think it has stabilized and increased the market as the cars get bought and hidden away! Major issue with the really special old cars. If anyone had a numbered company, I hear we can collector cars now as investments!! So keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2019, 02:23 PM

Miss my '55.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk