Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 AM
Banned

Default Guardian dogs-what you have?

Had to put our pyrenees down recently, he was great with the family and protected our property.

We are now looking at getting another Guardian for us. We dont want another pyrenees, we would constantly compare the new dog to the old, which would not be fair on the new guy, and the barking of that breed is alot.

We are experienced dog owners, so proper training and such is not a barrier.

We are looking at Caucasian Shepherds, anyone have experience with this breed?

We would only buy from a reputable breeder, there is one in Montana and Ontario. We want to have registered dogs from the non miltary line.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:46 AM

I suspect you have made your decision already... I have a friend that has 2, i believe from Rocky mountain in Eureka, they are awesome tools, we may look at them ourselves in the future, but, i would not consider anything older than 8-10 weeks in this breed.

are they guarding livestock or just property?

We have everthing from maremma x2 to german shepherd x3 to a chihuahua x1 (dont ask).

Last edited by Purple Farmer; 11-15-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
I suspect you have made your decision already... I have a friend that has 2, i believe from Rocky mountain in Eureka, they are awesome tools, we may look at them ourselves in the future, but, i would not consider anything older than 8-10 weeks in this breed.

We have everthing from maremma x2 to german shepherd x3 to a chihuahua x1 (dont ask).
I get it, we have a Golden, Newf and Leonberger.

Its job would be property and watching my back in the bush. Yeah, that breed needs at least two years of heavy socializing starting early. Tons of responsibility with getting a dog like this.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Banned

There are quite a few Bernese Mountain dog (mix?) farm dogs around here as well as Great Pyrenees (mix?). They seem to be favoured but I suppose it depends on what you want them for.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 PM
Banned

Bernese/big poodle mix. Wonderful watch dog, very easy to train, relaxed with children, eager to please. Great swimmer and loves snow. Downside is hair care.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Bernese/big poodle mix. Wonderful watch dog, very easy to train, relaxed with children, eager to please. Great swimmer and loves snow. Downside is hair care.
They said they want to buy from a reputable breeder, not roll the dice with a Bernadoodle
Old 11-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
They said they want to buy from a reputable breeder, not roll the dice with a Bernadoodle
Yeah being able track lineage and temperment is important.
And health guarantees with pure bread factors in as well
Old 11-15-2019, 01:51 PM

My brother has an Anatolian Shepherd on his quarter near Bearberry. She is an awesome dog and good with people and other dogs. She patrols that property and protects her "flock". Amazing how she stays up all night and keeps the bears, wolves, coyotes etc. off the property. Apparently they are now considered to be the same breed as a kangal and are one of the only dogs that can face down and actually kill a wolf. Not sure if that just means the smaller European wolves, but obviously a fearless and committed breed to protecting the flock.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:06 PM

I have a Maremma, amazing dog, certainly different from what I was used to before (labradors). But a Maremma may be too similar to a Pyrenees for you. I will likely get another Maremma again, but my wife likes Belgium Shepard’s though so may go that route. Too early to think about though.

Edited to say: our Maremma doesn’t seem to bark too much, not any more than previous labs. Bit of barking when he is senses something at night but that’s normal.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage3006 View Post
I get it, we have a Golden, Newf and Leonberger.

Its job would be property and watching my back in the bush. Yeah, that breed needs at least two years of heavy socializing starting early. Tons of responsibility with getting a dog like this.
For your intended purpose I would say they would be near perfect, the truth is they don’t really make great livestock dogs as they really like people ( that they know).

Out of interest how is your newf around predators, we had one that would kill any coyote he saw, the rest of the time he slept.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:32 PM

We got a king shepherd and a black lab/pitbull cross.
Friendliest mutts you'd wanna meet if I welcome you to "their" (and my family's) "territory".

But come looking for trouble, and you'll find it!

They never bit or attacked anyone yet, but total strangers, and "the unwelcome", always get intimidated by their loud barking and snarling, and just go away.
That includes prowlers at night.
Also works great on door-to-door sales pests!
Old 11-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Our family just got a caucasian shepherd this summer for the acreage and she seems to be keen on keeping any coyotes or foxes out of the yard. I was hoping she would be more unwelcoming to strangers, she seems to be a little to friendly but hopefully as she ages she gets better.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:53 PM

Bernese Mountain Dog. Great animals.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:10 PM

Default Which dog

I’d go with a Bernese. We’ve had pyrs for 25 years one is as awesome as the next. No regrets. Kita, Fargo and now Dexter. Great dogs.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:03 PM

I have a male anatolian shepherd/akbash/kangal dog. No reputable breeder, but from good working lines. Previous owner told me the litter was an accident as they meant to have the female fixed, but when they took her to get fixed, the vet said that she was knocked up.

He does a real good job keeping song dogs out of the yard. The last yote I had come into the yard, I shot, and my dog got ahold of the thing before I could get it and I heard the skull break from his bite. He really had a hard on for wanting to hurt this yote as he yanked it out of my hands a few times. I had to carry it back to the house on my head, and got yote pee on the back of my jacket in the process. Even with the yote on the top of my head, it was just a tiny jump for him to grab it.

Here's a pic of him about a year ago with my sisters heeler. He's a lot bigger now. I've had to let his collar out to the last hole.

2018-07-29_11-53-40 by wolverine00089, on Flickr
Old 11-15-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Bernese Mountain Dog. Great animals.
were on our second BMD . great temperament and very loyal but i wouldnt call the two i have had guard dogs . maybe with proper training ??? out of the box they are pretty friendly to everyone and anyone .
Old 11-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Bouvier des Flanders and a Black Russian Terrier more so for the people than the yotes and the wolf's. BRT is not for everyone and not sure I would recommend it as a family member unless you are prepared for a lot of work. Bouv is an excellent choice . These two have no trouble with the bears

B.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:45 PM

We have a Doberman, great dog but pretty useless for the outdoorsman as both the ones I have owned weren’t too good with the cold.

Not a bear shredding machine like some of you guys have but more than capable of cleaning up the local riff raff if they decide to enter the house uninvited.

Not really your need but you asked what we had, so I thought I would toss in my 2c anyway.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:51 PM

Friends of ours have 2 Turkish Kangals. There are absolutely no animals around anymore. They used to have grizzly and deer problems..... These two are friendly with people but I can’t bring my dogs when I come to visit. Lol
Old 11-15-2019, 10:06 PM

We have a Sarplaninac that I like as good as the first Pyrenese we had and better than every other Pyre I've been around. She doesn't roam as much as other gaurd dogs we've had and seems to know what belongs on the farm and what doesn't. She saved one of the kid's chickens from a hawk attack last week and has kept the foxes and coyotes out of our sheep.

If you want the name of the breeder who we got ours from, send me a PM. She runs a bunch of sheep by Leslieville.

Gerry Burnie
Old 11-15-2019, 10:46 PM

We have always had pitbulls. They've chased away people that shouldn't be there, and all kinds of animals that shouldn't be there either. Most loyal dog breed I know, regardless of what people say
Old 11-16-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post

Some people need a certificate, some don't. Dog is what you make out of it, certificate means nothing to me or to any dog i ever met or owned. Bernadoodles are much more then what they are advertised as on social media. As a guardian dog they are loyal and protective, they don't wander but keep to their perimeter. They are not gun shy, like to work with their noses, and are good retrievers.

As far as pure breeds are concerned, we'd have to go back 1000s of years to find something which would be considered pure. High price and papers guarantee nothing.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=amosfella;4056702]I have a male anatolian shepherd/akbash/kangal dog. No reputable breeder, but from good working lines. Previous owner told me the litter was an accident as they meant to have the female fixed, but when they took her to get fixed, the vet said that she was knocked up.

"He does a real good job keeping song dogs out of the yard. The last yote I had come into the yard, I shot, and my dog got ahold of the thing before I could get it and I heard the skull break from his bite. He really had a hard on for wanting to hurt this yote as he yanked it out of my hands a few times. I had to carry it back to the house on my head, and got yote pee on the back of my jacket in the process. Even with the yote on the top of my head, it was just a tiny jump for him to grab it."

They have the strongest bite of any dog breed so no surprise on the skull cracking.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer23 View Post
Our family just got a caucasian shepherd this summer for the acreage and she seems to be keen on keeping any coyotes or foxes out of the yard. I was hoping she would be more unwelcoming to strangers, she seems to be a little to friendly but hopefully as she ages she gets better.

Would you he ok with pm me about where you got your dog?
Old 11-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Some people need a certificate, some don't. Dog is what you make out of it, certificate means nothing to me or to any dog i ever met or owned. Bernadoodles are much more then what they are advertised as on social media. As a guardian dog they are loyal and protective, they don't wander but keep to their perimeter. They are not gun shy, like to work with their noses, and are good retrievers.

As far as pure breeds are concerned, we'd have to go back 1000s of years to find something which would be considered pure. High price and papers guarantee nothing.

With Caucasian shepherds its more about the lineage around wanting papers.

There are a few different lines, one being a military line that would be very unethical to get for what we need.

Tracking that is very important for us.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Noble View Post
We have always had pitbulls. They've chased away people that shouldn't be there, and all kinds of animals that shouldn't be there either. Most loyal dog breed I know, regardless of what people say
Totally agree, have a coworker that has one. That dog is such a sweetheart. We need a dog that is more adept to staying out in our winters.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
We have a Sarplaninac that I like as good as the first Pyrenese we had and better than every other Pyre I've been around. She doesn't roam as much as other gaurd dogs we've had and seems to know what belongs on the farm and what doesn't. She saved one of the kid's chickens from a hawk attack last week and has kept the foxes and coyotes out of our sheep.

If you want the name of the breeder who we got ours from, send me a PM. She runs a bunch of sheep by Leslieville.
Thats another breed we have been looking at. Thank you for the line to reach out.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
We have a Doberman, great dog but pretty useless for the outdoorsman as both the ones I have owned weren’t too good with the cold.

Not a bear shredding machine like some of you guys have but more than capable of cleaning up the local riff raff if they decide to enter the house uninvited.

Not really your need but you asked what we had, so I thought I would toss in my 2c anyway.
Dobe's are beauties! If i was a rich **** in LA and needed protection id get that breed. We need a big grunt tho haha.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 AM

have had Bouviers for going on 21 yrs, so far no late at night visitors. have a female at this time, she is awesome.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 AM

My Chessies are my guard dogs. I hunt them and they are very protective of family and home.