Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 PM

Thumbs up 2019 Midway movie. (no spoilers, we know how it ended)

I have watched all the WW2 movies I could, and the way they all tie into Midway is just excellent.
I told the Theatre Manager that was the best movie I have seen in a decade, possibly ever.

My friend and I were talking about when we went to Pearl Harbour on the way home.
I told him I was told you can not sit through the presentation with crying. They were right. My wife, kids and I were all extremely red eyed when we walked out of the theatre and into the displays.

Watching that movie took me right back to standing on the Mo, I can not imagine what it will do for people that have served.
He said 'can you imagine if the draft was brought back into Canada today? Half the snowflakes would kill themselves rather than defend their home, the other half would be so high on anti-depressants they couldn't hold a gun'. He is in his mid-20's, the generation sickens him too.

I gotta give it a 10 out of 10, I will watch that one a few times. I wish I had waited until I could have seen it at iMax, but I can go again.

Anyone else go?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2019, 10:56 PM

Haven't seen Midway yet, but there are quite a few out there I'd like to watch such as Ford vs Ferrari, Rambo, Terminator, and The Joker. Surprisingly enough, Midway hasn't gotten very good reviews, 42% on Rotten Tomatoes for instance.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Haven't seen Midway yet, but there are quite a few out there I'd like to watch such as Ford vs Ferrari, Rambo, Terminator, and The Joker. Surprisingly enough, Midway hasn't gotten very good reviews, 42% on Rotten Tomatoes for instance.
I read the reviews on IMDB and they were also rated this movie quite low.

Although I check every movies rating before I watch it, I have been surprised by a few of the lower rated ones in the past.

Lookin forward you seeing it regardless.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:09 AM

I saw it, it was good.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:22 AM

I was hoping it was good, but the trailer didnt do much for me as I saw the dogfights looking much too fake, planes turning way too fast etc. But, a trailer isnt the movie and if it was good I will check it out. Even wife wants to see it, surprised me.

Ps I know we have the benefit of hindsight but the Japanese blunders during ww2 were mind boggling, Midway being a great example.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:12 AM

I’ll have to watch this version of it. I watched a old movie about midway I think Charleton Heston is in it and it was a good movie. I do enjoy ww2 movies I like history and I get Hollywood is in the US almost all movies are about there battles or battles on western side of ww2. One day but there is probably no money in it I would like to see a well done movie on the Soviet Union of ww2. The scale and sacrifice of this part of the war was on such a great scale almost unimaginable.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I’ll have to watch this version of it. I watched a old movie about midway I think Charleton Heston is in it and it was a good movie. I do enjoy ww2 movies I like history and I get Hollywood is in the US almost all movies are about there battles or battles on western side of ww2. One day but there is probably no money in it I would like to see a well done movie on the Soviet Union of ww2. The scale and sacrifice of this part of the war was on such a great scale almost unimaginable.
“Enemy at the Gate”, kinda touched on the realities of the soviet army. I thought it was quite a good movie.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Banned

I don't really trust critics or the review sites too much.
A good example...Ford vs Ferrari is getting slagged because it supposedly has to little racing footage and has too much 'backstory'.
Yet the movie LeMans gets poor reviews because they said it had too much racing and not enough of a story to keep the audience interested.
There is an old saying in the arts. 'Those who can...do. Those who can't critique'. Pretty much sums up my feelings about review sites.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
“Enemy at the Gate”, kinda touched on the realities of the soviet army. I thought it was quite a good movie.
Great movie!

I’m sure most of you Netflix subscribers have watched WW2 in colour, but they just released a new version of it with new images that’s just as good as the original.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I don't really trust critics or the review sites too much.
A good example...Ford vs Ferrari is getting slagged because it supposedly has to little racing footage and has too much 'backstory'.
Yet the movie LeMans gets poor reviews because they said it had too much racing and not enough of a story to keep the audience interested.
There is an old saying in the arts. 'Those who can...do. Those who can't critique'. Pretty much sums up my feelings about review sites.
I don't read specific reviews, but look at the average. Ford vs Ferrari is getting 91% or Rotten Tomatoes, 4/5 on Common Sense Media, 8/10 on IMDb, and 93% on Google, averages 86%.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I don't read specific reviews, but look at the average. Ford vs Ferrari is getting 91% or Rotten Tomatoes, 4/5 on Common Sense Media, 8/10 on IMDb, and 93% on Google, averages 86%.
That right there is why I love streaming movies, I can watch it the day it comes out at home, and if it is real good catch it in the theatre. If it flops, no harm no foul. It is as easy as 123

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2019, 12:45 PM

I watched Midway earlier this week with a few other people. We all agreed that it was much more like the movie "Pearl Harbor" than "Saving Private Ryan", meaning it was on on the low end of the scale for us.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 11-15-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I watched Midway earlier this week with a few other people. We all agreed that it was much more like the movie "Pearl Harbor" than "Saving Private Ryan", meaning it was on on the low end of the scale for us.
Because it was made to be as true to the events as possible and not as sensational? What terrified me the most was the sheer wall of fire coming up at the bombers, can you imagine? Horrifying.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:36 PM

you can not sit through the presentation with crying.

Not Pearl Harbour, the Love story , revisited ? Nothing ruins a good war movie like somebody super imposing a romance On it .

Grizz
Old 11-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
I was hoping it was good, but the trailer didnt do much for me as I saw the dogfights looking much too fake, planes turning way too fast etc. But, a trailer isnt the movie and if it was good I will check it out. Even wife wants to see it, surprised me.

Ps I know we have the benefit of hindsight but the Japanese blunders during ww2 were mind boggling, Midway being a great example.

Major blunder for sure!!!! I own the original and love that movie. I think it is Tora Tora Tora

How about Hitlers blunder running the allies back to the channel and then pulling back???? Thanks god for the screw up!!

I just hope the new movie is not hollywoodized !!!
Will go watch but wife dreads these.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:01 PM

Have not seen a movie I liked in a very long time. Was it perfect? No. Was it true to history? Yes. Couple of spots that were ah meh but for the most part it was a movie I felt good about going to.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
you can not sit through the presentation with crying.

Not Pearl Harbour, the Love story , revisited ? Nothing ruins a good war movie like somebody super imposing a romance On it .

Grizz
Without crying.

Typo.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:38 PM

Just watched Ford vs Ferrari. Best movie I’ve seen in quite awhile. I’d say it’s about 80-90% historically accurate too.

Went to the 4DX theatre as that was the only one we could make it to. Paid extra for moving seats and strobe lights and smoke and what-not. Hated it. I wouldn’t do it again even for half price of a regular theatre seat.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I often wonder if people truly understand how many people were lost and how difficult it was to stop the Nazis. So often they are portrayed as mindless buffoons who can barely hold a rifle yet it took almost half a decade of non-stop fighting to stop them.

If a large budget, western produced movie regarding the eastern front was released, it would make American audiences drop their popcorn as they realized the US alone didn't win the war. Yes, like all the Allies, they played a major part in the defeat of Germany (and bore the brunt of the fight with Japan obviously), but it was the Soviets who really paid the price. 75% of German military casualties were on the eastern front, and the numbers like you said were staggering.

KIA: (varying debatable numbers but scale is obvious)

Canada - 45,000
Britain - 380,000
USA (Europe) - 276,000
Germany (vs USSR) - 4,000,000+
Soviets - 9,000,000+
Old 11-16-2019, 06:23 AM

This version of Midway does have some pretty spectacular special effects in the battle scenes. Diving on a carrier or any other ship with the AA coming at you like that takes some kahunas. Always liked the codebreaker part, that must have been a scary period to see if they could pull it off after they confirmed the AF message. And the pilots flying over the ocean, no GPS, no radar, just by the seat of their pants, finding the fleet going out and coming home. They say they had homing beacons on the carriers, but most of the pilots didn't know how to use it. This movie is a bit different than the old one, I think i liked the old one better, maybe because of Charlton Heston, but, Woody did well as Nimitz in this. There have been a few new things discovered since they got hold of the actual Jap battle reports a few years back, a few things that weren't the way it was said on the Japanese side, by some of those survivors who did write about it.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:42 AM

If you want to see a good series on the Soviet side, look up Soviet Storm. The Rzhev Meat Grinder is a good episode. It's on Daily Motion. It lasted 3 yrs before the Germans started retreating out of there well after Kursk. There are a lot of stories out that area and that battle. Another one is about the Courland pocket, that was another nasty fight, there are a couple of good documentaries around on that.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:04 PM

I saw Midway last night, I would have liked to have seen more of the backstory during the battle. things like the indecision on the Japanese carriers about the bombs vs torpedo debate and the key role that played. Also they kind of left out the Japanese attacks and successes against the American Fleet during the battle. They did recieve considerable damage including the sinking of the Yorktown. Also during the actual events the first couple of waves of American attack resulted in zero damage to the Japanese fleet and almost 100% American losses of Aircraft due the really outdated aircraft and equipment the Americans had at the time. The movie did touch on it a little bit but the Japanese fighters were so much better than what the US had that it wasn't really a fair fight.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
92% on rotten tomatoes if you look at the reviews that matter.

Too many critics will go see and comment on a movie they felt no interest in seeing to begin with.

The audience is much more reliable because they are going to movies they want to see.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:39 AM

I streamed ford vs ferrari last night, decent movie well played by the actors. Not as good as I had hoped but the price was right.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:45 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Midway. I thought to original was pretty good for it's day and time and I expect the new one should be too. Especially with modern CGI.

I'm well versed in the history of WWII and as long as they're reasonably accurate historically, I won't be upset.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Netflix has an entire series of WWII remastered in color on, I watched Pearl Harbour, Midway and Hiroshima yesterday. Had to ff past a few things, too gross when I am feeling sick to begin with.

Old 11-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Netflix has an entire series of WWII remastered in color on, I watched Pearl Harbour, Midway and Hiroshima yesterday. Had to ff past a few things, too gross when I am feeling sick to begin with.
It is series like that one and others that have turned me off theatrical war movies entirely.

Seeing real footage, and historical accounts, blows anything hollywood can produce out of the water. Having said that, there are a few movies I admire, but being a bit of a history nut, the real thing is sooo much more compelling and accurate.

Not least of all because there were actually other armies involved in WW2 besides the Americans. Not to discount anything they did, especially in the pacific theatre, but after watching 100 american centered movies, and maybe only 10 that show that the Brits, Russians, the Poles etc etc were actually in the war too. And heaven forbid anybody actually mentions that CANADIANS were in the war and punched hundreds of pounds above their weight....
Old 11-18-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
Also they kind of left out the Japanese attacks and successes against the American Fleet during the battle. They did recieve considerable damage including the sinking of the Yorktown.
Not showing the loss of the Y was inexcusable. Its not like portraying this event would diminish the success the US had during the battle. It WAS quite one sided, but now the casual viewer will think the Japanese didn’t do anything, which wasn’t the case.

For some these movies are the only history lesson they get, and they must think with all these complete victories how did it take 4 years to crush the empire.

The US pretty much rolled over Japanese forces from mid 42 on, but they did take some lumps along the way, and this should be portrayed. Besides, it gives another excuse to add explosions on screen.