Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Default Landowner gifts for access.

Another thread got me thinking about this. Is it acceptable to give gifts for access ? If so what is appropriate ? How do you sweet talk or help the landowner ?

I have one friend who shows up with a tin off coffee at the door and tries to make a friend before asking for access. Seems to work and seems reasonable.

Also have another friend that used to buy a landowner a bottle every year. One year he shows up hands over the bottle here this is for you. Asks for permission and the answer is no not till ( new guy is out at end of week ). New Guy what the hell ?!?! Seems to be he had a better gift 🤣. He lost the bottle and had no access for his week off.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:13 AM

Yes you can give gifts, as long as those gifts are not conditional on gaining access. It’s illegal to pay or “gift” for access. Showing appreciation is just fine.

LC
Old 11-11-2019, 08:23 AM

In my eyes a gift is a gain and therefore I will not accept a gift for allowing hunting access.I prefer a big thank you and hope that you enjoy being on my property...thats all I want out of the deal
Old 11-11-2019, 08:40 AM

You can give a gift to a friend, but it can't be a condition of being allowed access.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:03 AM

If I am going to give a gift, I will typically give a bottle or two of wine after the season has completed as a thank you for access on the finished season. Has no bearing on future access but is a small token of appreciation for the fortune of being allowed to hike around that year.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Personally, I like to give a small gift after the season is done. I also like to stop in for a visit.

On the other hand. I have had people either imply or straight up say that they want something in return. Those people don't get anything from me because in my eyes that is crossing a legal/ ethical line.

The people I give small gifts to are ones that I know without a doubt will give permission unconditionally. Not dependent on getting anything in return.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:28 AM

I like the idea of returning after Hunting season to bring a gift. Shows you truly appreciate the opportunity.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Landowner gifts for access.
every year someone ask's this question You asked so i would say it never hurts to give a x- mas gift to a buddy or friend .
Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
every year someone ask's this question You asked so i would say it never hurts to give a x- mas gift to a buddy or friend .
Well then consider it your yearly reminder to tip your local land owner 👍
Old 11-11-2019, 11:21 AM

yup always do if i drop an animal on his land or do if i camp on it .
Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 AM

The landowners I get permission from get a thank you card, a Timmies card inside and something for the sweet tooth, gourmet cookies, DQ gift card( families with young kids like this one) etc. A couple like wild game so they get some sausage and a roast or steaks added in to the package.

All get an offer to come back and help with some sweat equity or trail clean up if they need it. It always after the season, I like to go in December and thank them for that year & wish them a Merry Xmas.

We know things change and start fresh with the permission by the time summer rolls around. If a yes, we can go in and see whats changed, put up cams, start clearing trials. If it's no. That's ok too.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Those who grant me permission I consider my friends as we have built strong relationships over many years. During the holiday season, I personally deliver a nut tray and warm wishes in the form of a Christmas card.

Though-out the year, I will stop by and chew the fat so to say, have a cold one and see how their families are doing. If any of my friends need help, well they have my number and I will do my best to assist where possible.

Brides are for politicians, warm wishes are for good friends.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Those who grant me permission I consider my friends as we have built strong relationships over many years. During the holiday season, I personally deliver a nut tray and warm wishes in the form of a Christmas card.

Though-out the year, I will stop by and chew the fat so to say, have a cold one and see how their families are doing. If any of my friends need help, well they have my number and I will do my best to assist where possible.

Brides are for politicians, warm wishes are for good friends.
Well said.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Well then consider it your yearly reminder to tip your local land owner 👍
Hell no if you want to go ahead give .
Old 11-11-2019, 05:08 PM

I knock on a half dozen doors every year, and I have my favorite places to drop in to. I always show up empty-handed and chat for a bit, and when we get to hunting, the answer is usually always yes for the upcoming season, and I say thank-you very much, appreciate it.

But if I drop something on their property, I show up again during the xmas holidays with a gift of wine/home-canning jam/something, to say thanks again.

Any landowner who expects a gift before-hand, for private access to hunt a public resource...well, that's not the sort of person I want to know.

This year I have two gifts to drop off.

My two cents.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:47 PM

Mine dont ask but I'll usually drop off a Hutterite chicken/duck or 2 and some sausage made from animals I've taken on their property just to say thank you.

They have my number and know I'm available any time to help with fencing, clearing and cutting wood, haying, etc
Its a privilege to help them and because they're good people that have become friends I'd help them with or without permission to access their land.

I see what they go through every year with hunters/quadders/snowmobilers, etc so it's my way of making up for some of the idiots.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Yup I have some that grant access, they get fresh jerky almost every time I do a batch, they love it

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:35 PM

So what exactly are you showing "appreciation" for, after gaining access to hunt from a landowner, that you see once a year, right around hunting season?

May not be conditional, but that is what it is for, no?

Hmmmm,
Old 11-12-2019, 06:41 PM

I have left an enlarged photo of something special no their land
Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 PM

I usually bring a few packs of pepperoni and smokies after the season in the spring been working pretty good for me

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Banned

Default Access To Information

Hunting is more and more a commercial enterprise. Many land owners are aware that very high scoring antlers are worth big dollars. The top mule deer buck sold for more than $325K (I don't know the exact amount). I have heard that the owner of the Hanson buck gets around $30K to bring the mount to wildlife shows.
Land owners own trail cams and know what high scoring deer look like.
Do you think a land owner with a high scoring animal is going to give you access for thankful gestures ?
Information about high scoring trophies is big money !
Old 11-13-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
Hunting is more and more a commercial enterprise. Many land owners are aware that very high scoring antlers are worth big dollars. The top mule deer buck sold for more than $325K (I don't know the exact amount). I have heard that the owner of the Hanson buck gets around $30K to bring the mount to wildlife shows.
Do you think a land owner with a high scoring animal is going to give you access for thankful gestures ?
Interested in hearing more of this $325K deer!
I find that very few hunters actually know what a high scoring deer is. Very few landowners, unless they are very active hunters know what a high scoring deer is. The thread is about showing appreciation. Like others have said if the gift is a condition for access then there is an issue.

Last edited by KBF; 11-13-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:33 PM

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Alberta...765/story.html
Old 11-13-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshtinov View Post
Absolutely not relative to the thread title.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:15 PM

You said you were interested in the 325k deer.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshtinov View Post
You said you were interested in the 325k deer.
True. I already had a pretty good idea which one it was. When you read the story behind it, it’s not relevant to the thread. Which made me wonder why he brought it up.
It is a real specimen though.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post

I find that very few hunters actually know what a high scoring deer is. Very few landowners, unless they are very active hunters know what a high scoring deer is. The thread is about showing appreciation. Like others have said if the gift is a condition for access then there is an issue.
I'd agree with this most local landowners I know when they see a big deer they show me 140s

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
Land owners are more aware and concerned of citidots driving on and damaging crop and pastures than they give a crap about some some fantasy of the next record book buck.
Unless they are hunters themselves, they do not own trail cameras.
What you have "heard" is worthless information that is not worth repeating.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
He is referring to the Broder Buck, world record non typical mule deer that was sold to a collector in the States - and
and yup $325,000.00!
Cat
Old 11-14-2019, 08:39 AM

One couple I have permission with don't drink booze or eat meat. Last year they asked if I could take a look at a few electrical problems they had on the farm. Little bit of help goes a long way.