Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 09:20 PM

This whole thing is great PR for Sportsnet and it’s advertisers. They get to appear woke for getting rid of an old man they were probably looking to get rid of for years. Cherry wasn’t a polished enough turd for sportsnet. They’ll probably bring in someone like Strombo for the remaining years of their NHL deal.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
You are really grasping at straws now, just give it up
I'm not grasping at straws since I'm not making an argument.
Anyways, I choose my words advisedly and I stand by every statement that I made.
Cherry's gone just like the Canada of yesteryear. The snowflakes win!
Good night everyone
Old 11-11-2019, 09:21 PM

The patriotic men who died for this country, fought for a different Canada than we have now. I can't imagine putting my life on the line for the Canada we face today, no thanks! Cherry got canned, but the impact of his words was huge and it shows by the massive backlash, he's 85 and gets the last laugh on the way out, good for him for calling these dead beats out. He'll show up in a few months somewhere else.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
EZM, take this the right way, as I am just engaging ideas with a guy who I consider pretty sharp. You know what I care about? Peoples' right to voice their opinions without having to worry about losing their job three days later. I don't give a rat's rip what he said, but if it fits your idea of racism then that is valid for you. It doesn't fit mine. Dust off a copy of Mississippi Burning and we can then talk about what racism is or isn't.

I do care that he is able to speak his mind though. Folks if we are no longer willing to spit out the bones in search of the meat then we have taken freedom of speech for granted. We really and truly have.

It equally concerns me as to WHO defines what is acceptable in terms of speech, be it on a sportscast, a classroom, a lounge, or a dinner table.

Think on that folks. I know the answer to that question can give you a good idea where we may be headed.

I truly believe we are all brain-washed to varying degrees, but we need to know who it is who is washing our brains.
If you are truly concerned about freedom of speech then please take a look in your own back yard before criticizing your neighbors.

I would hazard to guess that there is a much higher level of freedom of speech on Sportsnet than there is on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum.

How many thousands of members have been banned from this forum for saying something that you didn't like? A hell of a lot more than the # of people who have been fired from Sportsnet.

I registered just a couple weeks ago (as "Malarkey") and my ability to post was taken away after I said one thing that someone was offended by. And I am always polite, so I did not verbally assault anyone.

I implore you, if you really care about free speech please lead by example. Only after Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum demonstrates a high level of free speech, will you be in any position to criticize other platforms without being a hypocrite.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
You're quite astute! One of the sharpest on the forum if I may say
so myself! And here I was going to edit it to "you people" to make the irony more obvious for the
less perspicacious members. Good for you bud!
Is there a pill this morning your overlooked to take?
P.S. notch'ya bud. .
Old 11-11-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
It’s pretty sad that what Don said is in the tip of the tongue of many. They sometimes can’t help themselves and they have to vomit it out like a dog that ate a rotten skunk. You people......really Don? It’s a pretty wide brush you use there.
Yes, we do enjoy your country. And yes, we are thankful for all that the soldiers have done for this country (and for other countries) And yes, it is the land of milk and honey.
But just like all gun owners are not gang members, and just like all hunters aren’t poachers, 99.9% of “us people” just want to carry on with life, raise a family, pay our taxes and contribute to society.
So Don, give those people a chance. You may be surprised.
WOW ! another Immigrant Story ! Your Good with the words ! Twist and Turn ! RJ
Old 11-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Banned

Regarding Remembrance Day, there is one thing that is stuck in my mind. The veterans that we pay homage to by wearing poppies, fought in WWII in support of communism, multiculturalism, and modern liberalism - which the Axis were trying to eliminate from Germany and Europe. All those things have now taken over and turned Canada into a completely different country, and our own heritage is now being lost. I would guess most of our veterans are rolling over in their graves watching what is happening to Canada today. I wonder if they could go back, if they would do anything differently.

Last edited by Malarkey2; 11-11-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
You're quite astute! One of the sharpest on the forum if I may say so myself! And here I was going to edit it to "you people" to make the irony more obvious for the less perspicacious members. Good for you bud!
It's pretty obvious to me that there are only 1 or 2 other members taking your side here so I have to ask.... why are you still here?
Do you enjoy the company of people who dislike you and your comments?
Do you think you are playing the part of some SJW?
Usually when people keep talking in a room full of people that don't like what they're saying, it's because they're too self absorbed to see reality. Is this the case with you?

I'm asking honestly. I find it fascinating when someone sticks around a bunch of people that seem to despise them.
It's something I've never understood.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
As I said, your personal insults are cute. Perhaps your baseball cap is on too tight or you've had one too many cheap beers?
You boy are about the biggest mouth piece I have ever seen on AO. I fear one day when you leave your moms basement and enter the real world talking like you do some one is gonna pound those fancy words right along with your lips straight back past your teeth.

Not sure why your on this forum other than to insult people and make your self feel big. Your thoughts have turned irrational and continue to be rude beyond belief.

You think your use of big words is funny and makes you sound intelligent but it does the exact opposite. You sound like a child trying to live in a mans world and you don’t fit. I feel sorry for you.

If you truly are an immigrant which I question. You most certainly do nothing to change the minds of the “ Old Stock “ as you put it. I would go as far as to say the running of your mouth would be an embarrassment to new Canadians.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
And how exactly did you guys figure that out? Did you asked everyone wearing one if they were immigrants or not? Did the ones not wearing a poppy have some kind of mark telling they were immigrants?

The fact is that everybody knows what DC meant by his remarks: the immigrants which don’t look like ME. The ones which pray to a different God than MINE.

And that’s why he got axed.
So.. You mind read now? Quit putting your fears, your words and your guilt in other people mouths. Making a shyt load of assumptions without know a damn thing. I hope don comes out and sues each and everyone who follows your "path"
Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 PM

Grew up watching him, he had a keen eye for hockey and I enjoyed his insight but I’m surprised he lasted this long. You can argue on and on about what his intent was behind the comments but the fact remains you just CANNOT say stuff like this on a national broadcast. Not anymore. It’s just a fact. He wasn’t just sitting in the local A&W talking with his buddies. I know for a fact if I go into work and start spouting off about newcomers to the country not wearing poppies I’ll find myself in a whole whack of trouble and will be meeting with HR ASAP.

I touched on this before on the thread about someone complaining about people not speaking English all the time. Walking around town it doesn’t even occur to me to notice how many people wear poppies. To take it a step further and notice that only newcomers aren’t wearing poppies IMO is a problem. Worry about yourself. Wear a poppy and be proud. If someone is not wearing a poppy move on with your life.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
The patriotic men who died for this country, fought for a different Canada than we have now. I can't imagine putting my life on the line for the Canada we face today, no thanks! Cherry got canned, but the impact of his words was huge and it shows by the massive backlash, he's 85 and gets the last laugh on the way out, good for him for calling these dead beats out. He'll show up in a few months somewhere else.
exactly
Old 11-11-2019, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
You boy are about the biggest mouth piece I have ever seen on AO. I fear one day when you leave your moms basement and enter the real world talking like you do some one is gonna pound those fancy words right along with your lips straight back past your teeth.

Not sure why your on this forum other than to insult people and make your self feel big. Your thoughts have turned irrational and continue to be rude beyond belief.

You think your use of big words is funny and makes you sound intelligent but it does the exact opposite. You sound like a child trying to live in a mans world and you don’t fit. I feel sorry for you.

If you truly are an immigrant which I question. You most certainly do nothing to change the minds of the “ Old Stock “ as you put it. I would go as far as to say the running of your mouth would be an embarrassment to new Canadians.
:sHa_sarcastic lol:
Yes.. a EMBARRASSMENT to new Canadians. Just a wannabe thesaurus. All hat, no cattle kinda guy. Loves to put down Asian folks as well. Do what I did. put his useless ass on ignore. life is better that way.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic View Post
grew up watching him, he had a keen eye for hockey and i enjoyed his insight but i’m surprised he lasted this long. You can argue on and on about what his intent was behind the comments but the fact remains you just cannot say stuff like this on a national broadcast. Not anymore. It’s just a fact. He wasn’t just sitting in the local a&w talking with his buddies. I know for a fact if i go into work and start spouting off about newcomers to the country not wearing poppies i’ll find myself in a whole whack of trouble and will be meeting with hr asap.

I touched on this before on the thread about someone complaining about people not speaking english all the time. Walking around town it doesn’t even occur to me to notice how many people wear poppies. To take it a step further and notice that only newcomers aren’t wearing poppies imo is a problem. Worry about yourself. Wear a poppy and be proud. if someone is not wearing a poppy move on with your life.

"lest we forget"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
[/b]

"lest we forget"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agreed.

“Fools”, said I, “You do not know, silence like a cancer grows”
Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarkey2 View Post
Regarding Remembrance Day, there is one thing that is stuck in my mind. The veterans that we pay homage to by wearing poppies, fought in WWII in support of communism, multiculturalism, and modern liberalism

More WWI I believe.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
More WWI I believe.
Remembrance Day started in 1918. The date is of "remembrance for the men and women who have served, and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace"; particularly the First and Second World Wars, the Korean War, and all conflicts since then in which members of the Canadian Armed Forces have participated.

Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec do not treat the day as an official holiday in any capacity.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:13 PM

We live in a country of snowflakes these days. All these clowns preaching free speech until they disagree with it, then it's offensive. Bunch of hypocrites.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:18 AM
Banned

For all the people saying Grapes should be aloud to have "free speech" and state his opinion . Should another person then not have the right to not wear something like a poppy? How many new immigrants are taught the significance of the poppy?

Seeks a bit backwards that people yell to have free speech but demand people wear a poppy.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage3006 View Post
For all the people saying Grapes should be aloud to have "free speech" and state his opinion . Should another person then not have the right to not wear something like a poppy? How many new immigrants are taught the significance of the poppy?

Seeks a bit backwards that people yell to have free speech but demand people wear a poppy.
Absolutely they should have that right. We can demand away but last time I saw, you dont get fired from your job for not wearing a poppy. Are you suggesting that should be the punishment?
Old 11-12-2019, 12:39 AM

I don’t really see this as a freedom of speech issue. Don Cherry is still free to say what he wants... just not on Sportsnet.

Rogers Sportsnet is a private business that offers a product on a national scale. If his comments do not fit their code of conduct, or are deemed detrimental to their business, then they absolutely have a right to punt him.

My opinion is that he showed poor judgment. I don’t like it when people start generalizing about groups of people. It’s messy and doesn’t work well in a modern Canada with its enormous level of diversity.

There are a lot of people all over that are guilty of not demonstrating enough respect... I believe that he could have made his point just as effective without putting down one group.

That being said, he got me thinking about respect, and how I can personally do better. Thank you for that, Don.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:29 AM

x2 FisherDan - thanks for that

Our country is built on immigrants, and some native Canadians got overwhelmed.
First they were fur traders from England and France, leading ultimately to a colonial empire. Then we got a few Loyalists from a little dustup in the US.
Then we took in the landless peasants from Europe - poor, mostly uneducated and oh so willing to work. We were not so good at taking in Jews when the world was in crisis and we were being tested. We also were not so good to the Chinese and Sikhs, implementing discriminatory policies when they landed on our doorstep.
After the second big War to End all Wars in Europe we took in the DPs, and the economic migrants who sought a better future.

For those who are ever so ready point fingers at immigrants - exactly what point in our history was the perfect version of Canada that you want to lock us into.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

This is just about you people who dont wear a poppy nor give a ratz azz about the milk and honey readily available almost like a hand out with little to no effort....

Oh and don't read into you people.....it has nothing to do with race or Color etc...it is just that....you people!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-12-2019, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This is just about you people who dont wear a poppy nor give a ratz azz about the milk and honey readily available almost like a hand out with little to no effort....

Oh and don't read into you people.....it has nothing to do with race or Color etc...it is just that....you people!
It's hard to misinterpret "you people who come here and enjoy our land of milk and honey".

As for some of the other replies directed at me - you ignominiously assume that I care for your opinions and want to impress you with "them there big words"; I hate to disappoint you, but it isn't so. I use as many words from my vocabulary as possible, for if I didn't do that I'd forget them.

Unlike the vast majority of the members on this forum my literary interests span beyond Sports Illustrated; I implore you to broaden your horizons and enrich your minds by exposing them to new controversial ideas and concepts. Otherwise you cerebral faculties are at a risk of growing stagnant and becoming callused turning you into a group of flag waving Archie Bunker replicas. A lot of you have already reached the point of no return but a faint hope remains for the few left!

I'm a member of this forum because I consider myself an outdoorsman and a naturalist, therefore I enjoy reading information pertinent to my hobbies.

PS: Jamie, please substantiate your allegations with evidence, instead of resorting to traducement. Also, if you chose to ignore me, why are you commenting on my responses to other members?

Last edited by grouse_hunter; 11-12-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:02 AM

Quote:
It's hard to misinterpret "you people who come here and enjoy our land of milk and honey".

As for some of the other replies directed at me - you ignominiously assume that I care for your opinions and want to impress you with "them there big words"; I hate to disappoint you, but it isn't so. I use as many words from my vocabulary as possible, for if I didn't do that I'd forget them.

Unlike the vast majority of the members on this forum my literary interests span beyond Sports Illustrated; I implore you to broaden your horizons and enrich your minds by exposing them to new controversial ideas and concepts. Otherwise you cerebral faculties are at a risk of growing stagnant and becoming callused turning you into a group of flag waving Archie Bunker replicas. A lot of you have already reached the point of no return but a faint hope remains for the few left!

I'm a member of this forum because I consider myself an outdoorsman and a naturalist, therefore I enjoy reading information pertinent to my hobbies.

PS: Jamie, please substantiate your allegations with evidence, instead of resorting to traducement. Also, if you chose to ignore me, why are you commenting on my responses to other members?
I'm trying to figure out if you're for real, or if this is a master class in trolling. Either way, it's pretty fascinating to watch.

The whole thing is kind of like a fish out of water comedy skit from 22 Minutes or something - The perfect caricature of the "lefty elite" from downtown Toronto goes to the Tim Hortons in Ft. Mac and talks with the locals...
Old 11-12-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'm trying to figure out if you're for real, or if this is a master class in trolling. Either way, it's pretty fascinating to watch.

The whole thing is kind of like a fish out of water comedy skit from 22 Minutes or something - The perfect caricature of the "lefty elite" from downtown Toronto goes to the Tim Hortons in Ft. Mac and talks with the locals...
That was an impeccable portrayal of our xenophobic collaborator.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Banned

My opinion doesn't constitute as trolling simply because I disagree with the people who are supporting Don Cherrys' statement. I though that this was a forum for open discussion of various topics. I guess I better conform to your views or scram!
Old 11-12-2019, 07:23 AM

Indubitably.

Very entertaining.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The perfect caricature of the "lefty elite" from downtown Toronto goes to the Tim Hortons in Ft. Mac and talks with the locals...
Here's a riddle for you. If the immigrants working in Tim Hortons aren't wearing poppies, will you still support the franchise since it's associated with an all-Canadian hockey player and is a part of our societal fabric?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:38 AM

"You people that come here, whatever it is...love our way of life....."

If you think he meant anyone other than immigrants, you have a massive confirmation bias and have already made up your mind.

I love Don, have done for years. Any time he starts to stray from hockey talk though whether controversial or not, just becomes annoying. Over the years he's used HNIC more for non-hockey ranting more than hockey related rants, it just gets old. Stay in your lane.

And for what? You think "those people" even watch him on TV anyways? It's not going to change anything.