Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I don't have to show any respect.
And you don’t. My point exactly. You are extremely disrespectful.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Even schools are lacking. They are more worried about installing a new special bathroom for those with gender dysphoria. Literally what our shop hand who is in highschool said. He even said its BS.

I taught my kids about November 11th and what it means. One of my kids (10) gave an adult Sh*@ for talking about putting up xmas decorations before November 11th and told them why it was wrong lol
Why is it wrong?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Canada.
Where hockey commentators are held to a higher accountability than prime ministers.....
Smh.
Well said
Old 11-10-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Elaborate. You are generalizing.
Why is there such a general lack of respect for the day. For most people it is just another holiday, it's an inconvenience that stores are closed in the AM. I did not know it was being taught in schools. When I went I cannot remember anything being said about it in school.

I guess for me it is hitting home because my father was an adolescence in Germany during the war. He never spoke of it until his dementia became advanced. The things he talks about and sees (in his mind) are truly frightening. He finally had to go on anti psychotic drugs to clear and reset his mind.

I have an older gentleman friend that was a war baby. He tells me stories of families that lost loved ones, and of the loved ones that made it and came back. It is surprising to hear about PTSD in men back then. They never had a word for it, but going by his description it was very common. I often think about how lucky my generation was, probably had and I would guess for a long time will have had the highest standard of living that has ever happened on this planet. We owe this to brave men and boys. I wonder if this train of thought is really being imparted to the young generation. Anyway I am in a full ramble so I better cut it short. lol

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2019, 09:08 PM

There is also the argument that many immigrants come to Canada and know very little English and very little of our history to start with.

We need to help educate everyone in this country not just our children.

Think about it. If you went to the Philippines and didn't know how to speak their language and 30% of the population was wearing a pin for 2 weeks, would you go out and get one? Who knows what it could mean. I know I would be weary about putting something on as a symbol without knowing what it is. Most 1st generation immigrants don't know enough English speaking people to even ask what the poppy is for in the first place.

In my experience immigrants want to assimilate as quickly as possible and be apart of this great country. Education about remberance day would help.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Why is it wrong?
Why is it wrong to start decorating for a holiday BEFORE November 11th?

A day of remembrance to honour those who gave there lives so we can celebrate these holidays and have the freedoms we have? It is only respectful to honour those who fought and died for our freedoms before we start going crazy for Christmas.

You really have to ask why that is wrong?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post
There is also the argument that many immigrants come to Canada and know very little English and very little of our history to start with.

We need to help educate everyone in this country not just our children.

Think about it. If you went to the Philippines and didn't know how to speak their language and 30% of the population was wearing a pin for 2 weeks, would you go out and get one? Who knows what it could mean. I know I would be weary about putting something on as a symbol without knowing what it is. Most 1st generation immigrants don't know enough English speaking people to even ask what the poppy is for in the first place.

In my experience immigrants want to assimilate as quickly as possible and be apart of this great country. Education about remberance day would help.
I know a pile of immigrants. All pretty much know basic English. Very few are brand new in downtown Toronto.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Why is it wrong to start decorating for a holiday BEFORE November 11th?

A day of remembrance to honour those who gave there lives so we can celebrate these holidays and have the freedoms we have? It is only respectful to honour those who fought and died for our freedoms before we start going crazy for Christmas.

You really have to ask why that is wrong?
Would veterans feel disrespected if I left my lights up all year?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshawn View Post

In my experience immigrants want to assimilate as quickly as possible and be apart of this great country.
Freudian slip of the day.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Why is there such a general lack of respect for the day. For most people it is just another holiday, it's an inconvenience that stores are closed in the AM. I did not know it was being taught in schools. When I went I cannot remember anything being said about it in school.
I learned about it in every grade of school. My daughter is learning about it. Let’s not blame this on the school system.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
My Grandfather was a WW2 vet and he thought so. Guess it depends who you talk to.

Do whatever you want, I will do what I want, you have the right to have lights on all year round because our veterans fought for those rights, dont forget that.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
My Grandfather was a WW2 vet and he thought so. Guess it depends who you talk to.

Do whatever you want, I will do what I want, you have the right to have lights on all year round because our veterans fought for those rights, dont forget that.
And that is exactly what every vet has said when the silly debate on Xmas lights was brought up to them.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
And that is exactly what every vet has said when the silly debate on Xmas lights was brought up to them.
A simple nod of respect isn’t a bad thing. They fought for us to have that freedom. We are using our freedom to say thank you and show a little respect. You can put your lights on. That’s your choice.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Not if you turn them off on Nov 11th. I’m kinda of the mind that yeah I don’t like it before the 11th. I tell my kids the same thing. Just want them thinking about the sacrifices that we’re given before getting all hopped up on ol’ Santa clause.

I am also proud to say they specifically asked to go get a poppy and pay for it themselves. My young patriots have respect.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
That’s what an unsung hero says. But inside they think ......
Old 11-10-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post

I guess for me it is hitting home because my father was an adolescence in Germany during the war. He never spoke of it until his dementia became advanced. The things he talks about and sees (in his mind) are truly frightening. He finally had to go on anti psychotic drugs to clear and reset his mind.

I have an older gentleman friend that was a war baby. He tells me stories of families that lost loved ones, and of the loved ones that made it and came back. It is surprising to hear about PTSD in men back then. They never had a word for it, but going by his description it was very common. I often think about how lucky my generation was, probably had and I would guess for a long time will have had the highest standard of living that has ever happened on this planet. We owe this to brave men and boys. I wonder if this train of thought is really being imparted to the young generation. Anyway I am in a full ramble so I better cut it short. lol
As a student, and now as a teacher, I cannot ever remember a year without a Remembrance Day Ceremony. Ever. We even refer to it as a solemn ceremony. I am also always proud of the way our students are so respectful too.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:30 PM
Banned

Sports commentators getting into politico-social subjects on camera? it happens probably way too often.

Don Cherry singling out the immigrants ( all of them ) and forgetting about the majority of ‘real’ Canadians not wearing a poppy for Remembrance Day? Stupid! I think there’s a similar percentage of immigrants and ‘real’ Canadians wearing a poppy.

Should he be canned from wherever the hell he is right now? For speaking his mind up? Heck no!! I thought this is what Canada was all about: having the freedom of speaking freely, as well as being free to not wear a poppy, for whatever reason one would have.

But wait, I thought a certain prime minister said the was no ‘canadian identity’.
Getting complicated here...

CC

P.S. edit:
Learned the term ‘real canadian’ from my next door neighbour which calls herself a ‘real canadian’. Not wearing a poppy either.

Last edited by RO CC; 11-10-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I love it when he speaks to things that most news won't touch. Which part of what he says is wrong? NONE, IMHO.....

What Canada has here is why the newbies come. They don't dare speak out like that in their own country for fear of the retribution and this is why they came here in the first place. Combine this with the rainbow poppy issue; it is never a good time to discuss that but even less at this time of year.

I had several members of my family serve; one injured by shrapnel, one killed and another injured.

They ALL volunteered to serve to protect our country and our beliefs....I will NEVER surrender the protocol in remembering what the poppy represents to me and my family.....

Even my g-kids ages 4-10 wear a poppy to school and bow their heads on November 11......Bless them...

I stated in another thread that I would like to see "stick-on" poppies that I could hand out at Halloween. If for no other reason than to have parents explain to the child, the importance of that flower.....I agree, More education is needed......

As for Cherry's comments serve to alienate and divide us is already practiced daily by Trudeau.
^^^^^^X2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So true way to go Don
Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Banned

Highly doubt he will get fired. Sportsnet needs him for ratings.

I love how he says what the majority think.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:32 PM
Banned

A serious question to people saying that Grapes said what most people were thinking. Is what he said really representative of what’s going on in Toronto? I have no idea of what immigrants are or aren’t doing in Edmonton let alone there. I honestly don’t know and never even thought about it up until now.

I watched it live last night and I immediately knew that Don stepped in it big time. What he said was so wrong to say on national tv.......wow. At the bar with buddies or whatever, but on national tv? You just can’t single out minorities for something like this whether it’s immigrants, Natives, Asians, people of colour, Jewish, gays, etc, etc, etc. Of course there’s going to be backlash......big surprise!

I remember after another “bozo eruption” the CBC put him on a five second delay.......lol. His filter is broken and if he’s not fired, I think that it would be prudent for Sportsnet to do something similar.

I really like Don’s support for the Military and Veterans but when he’s wrong, he’s wrong.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
I agree with old Don!
Yup....too many people leave thier country for all the right reasons then get here, settle in and set thier ways based on where they came from but they always should respect what it took to get to this country true north strong and free....the bigger centre loose the Canadian indentity faster based on this....all Don was saying was to wear a poppy, pay respect and carry on living in this country that accepted you.

On the other hand when I saw Ron's apology etc man he dropped a few notches in my book....almost like a puppet...sad.

Sometimes you gotta make a stand and stop going with the flow...Don does but in today's society there are way too many snowflakes etc....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Don Cherry holds the military, police, and firefighters in as high esteem as anyone I know. He also loves this country deeply. I have no issue whatsoever with what he said. If one is politically correct to a fault, and given to being offended, then they will call for his head. I actually think Ron Maclean should keep his lips shut. He's a wealthy man for one reason, Don Cherry. He should remember that.

Boy our world is screwed up. What on earth is wrong with a Canadian saying they think newcomers/immigrants should be wearing poppies? We should all be wearing them. Is a person racist if they liked Canada better 40 years ago, and don't like the changes to our society? I fall squarely into that group. Is a person racist if they want newcomers to Canada to learn about and appreciate Canadian society and traditions? I sure as heck don't think it has anything to do with racism. I'd be more inclined to say it speaks of patriotism.

I was seriously ticked off when I heard this rainbow poppy crap too. Does that make me a homophobe?

Just stupid.

All of it.

Well said sns2

BW
Old 11-11-2019, 07:17 AM

I work side by side with a fellow that brought his family from Germany 3 years ago. His relatives fought for Germany, my Great Uncle was in an RAF Lancaster over Germany in operation Brunswick and his last day was May 23rd 1944. My coworker from Germany wears the poppy.

I have yet to see anyone and I mean anyone from Syria, Lebanon or Packistan in the last week or the Middle East in general, wearing a poppy and that is the absolute truth. I work in a truck shop and we have a lot of customers from the Middle East.

Ironic that my German coworker shows the respect. I ponder that often..

But there will still be clowns on here that defend this choice to not honour or respect the sacrifice s people made for this country so that others can prosper here.

I’m very sorry my Great Uncle and others never got to live the life they fought so hard for. While others still to this day get a choice to enjoy this life here in Canada.

Thank you to all, past and present who chose to serve...

Last edited by 1899b; 11-11-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:44 AM

Default Mess

Our country is in a mess. Lots and lots of people especially politicians forget who made this great country.
Don Cherry reminds me of the vets from the second world war I used to work with when they were respected senior workers and Don also remembers them.
There are too many people who want to give our country away let Don remind them it is still our country.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Our country is in a mess. Lots and lots of people especially politicians forget who made this great country.
Don Cherry reminds me of the vets from the second world war I used to work with when they were respected senior workers and Don also remembers them.
There are too many people who want to give our country away let Don remind them it is still our country.
Well said....
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 AM

Here we go again. Political correctness BS garbage.

I am a Don Cherry fan. He is known for being patriotic, and I commend that. He is also known to call a spade a spade. He is also known to be a loose cannon on beliefs he is passionate with.

I agree with what he was "trying" to say the other night. He appeared very wound up over this topic, to say the least.

If he would have chosen his words more carefully (ie. excluding the word "immigrant"), we would not be here today. I believe his intent was to shame all the people who are not wearing poppies, or oblivious with this very important day. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was out shopping with my wife yesterday in different stores. I made a comment to her in regards to the fact a large amount of what appeared to be Canadian people not wearing poppies. Each his/her own...

Well, I wear one, and always will. I call it "respect".
Old 11-11-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
One just has to look at the demographics of where a lot of our politicians come from to see why now. Slowly but surely it’s happening. Give it 30 to 50 years and Rememberance Day mostly likely will be just a memory or it will be mandated that other wars from certain other countries be “remembered” as well....
Old 11-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Don Cherry holds the military, police, and firefighters in as high esteem as anyone I know. He also loves this country deeply. I have no issue whatsoever with what he said. If one is politically correct to a fault, and given to being offended, then they will call for his head. I actually think Ron Maclean should keep his lips shut. He's a wealthy man for one reason, Don Cherry. He should remember that.

Boy our world is screwed up. What on earth is wrong with a Canadian saying they think newcomers/immigrants should be wearing poppies? We should all be wearing them. Is a person racist if they liked Canada better 40 years ago, and don't like the changes to our society? I fall squarely into that group. Is a person racist if they want newcomers to Canada to learn about and appreciate Canadian society and traditions? I sure as heck don't think it has anything to do with racism. I'd be more inclined to say it speaks of patriotism.

I was seriously ticked off when I heard this rainbow poppy crap too. Does that make me a homophobe?

Just stupid.

All of it.
Well said, agree 100%

LC
Old 11-11-2019, 08:19 AM

Good job Don.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:24 AM

CTV just posted a piece about “What Canadians think about what Don Cherry said”. Every tweet and snippet they posted was against Don...every last one. Seem like they sure did not grab a representative pool to show what Canadians think.

LC