Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Banned

Much ado about anything...MEH
Old 11-10-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Don Cherry and his rhetoric appeal to the people who place athletes at the top of our societal pantheon, instead of individuals worthy of recognition.

Neither him, nor any other celebrity should open their mouths and make political commentary, seeing how they are unfit for the task and lack any qualifications which would make their opinions valid.

I do find all of the "old stock" whining to be entertaining...
Funny I don't see it that way? What political commentary? He has an opinion, an opinion formed through observation and is true and valid. A politician serves to win an election, to win you over by mocking their rivals and promising you the shirt off my back. Don Cherry is not a politician and is more qualified than many politicians as an champion for veterans and serving military.

It is refreshing to hear him speak as a man without fear. A characteristic lost to many politicians lest they start to grow a set of...

Your use of the terminology "old stock" Canadians is mockery, it's use is divisive. You have no idea of the face behind the posts you are replying to but what does it matter to you...….you got to use the phrase. Is that a win for you?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Banned

Dons' statement regarding the lack of patriotism in immigrants in nothing short of political commentary. As I've stated, people in his position need to refrain from addressing such subjects. He's simply appealing to the lowest common denominator, something that disgruntled "old stock" Canadians can relate to. Specifically that the country of their youth has been changed for the worse by the supposedly unpatriotic newcomers.

Harper is the one who initially used to divisive term "old stock" if my memory serves me well. A term which is meant to stratify our society even further, with a certain segment of immigrants' offspring holding the high ground of morality and patriotism.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:47 PM

Put Don Cherry into a retirement home and throw away the key! What a blow hard idiot!
Old 11-10-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I watched it live and didn’t even blink. Don is right, they paid with their lives and you look around at a hockey game and there is people that are capable of standing up sitting down and people that won’t take their hats off.
This illustrates the REAL point precisely, at a hockey game, is it the immigrants who are not removing their hats and sitting during the anthem or is it everyone? I don't often see too many immigrants at a hockey game, and rarely do I see them behaving in this way, as a matter of fact, it seems that I mostly see "multi generation Canadians" and spoiled brats of parents who's parents didn't teach them to honor our flag and honor those who have sacrificed for us.

Immigrants, for the most part, are extremely thankful for this country.

If Don did not insinuate "immigrants" in his topic .... I'd be 100% OK with what he said.

Anyhow, that's my opinion on it.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 PM

Default Don Cherry shoots from the hip

I admire Don for calling a spade a spade. He’s got the balls to call it how he sees it.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Don Cherry and his rhetoric appeal to the people who place athletes at the top of our societal pantheon, instead of individuals worthy of recognition.

Neither him, nor any other celebrity should open their mouths and make political commentary, seeing how they are unfit for the task and lack any qualifications which would make their opinions valid.

Thats what you obviously fail to grasp about Don.. He is not a Athlete or looked upon as a celebrity (As it is defined today) he is looked upon as a common sense guy who happens to have a Mic. Your "Old Stock" comment is devisive, silly and much much closer to racism than any thing Don said. He spoke his mind looking for more respect for the military. And now you snowflakes come screaming out of the wood work like your hair is on fire.

First of all, Sportsnet should never have apologized. 2nd of all, your comments through this thread are disrespectful and disgusting. The ignore button was made exactly for people like yourself.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Thats what you obviously fail to grasp about Don.. He is not a Athlete or looked upon as a celebrity (As it is defined today) he is looked upon as a common sense guy who happens to have a Mic. Your "Old Stock" comment is devisive, silly and much much closer to racism than any thing Don said. He spoke his mind looking for more respect for the military. And now you snowflakes come screaming out of the wood work like your hair is on fire.

First of all, Sportsnet should never have apologized. 2nd of all, your comments through this thread are disrespectful and disgusting. The ignore button was made exactly for people like yourself.
Please, don't twist my words into "racism"...

I come from a family with a multi-generational military background. I treat servicemen/women with respect on daily basis. My comments were directed at Don Cherry, who is a celebrity in the world of hockey, whether you want to admit it or not.

Furthermore, pusillanimous snowflakes are the ones who put people on their ignore list, simply because they disagree with their point of view.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Banned

Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:

Old 11-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please, don't twist my words into "racism"...

I come from a family with a multi-generational military background. I treat servicemen/women with respect on daily basis. My comments were directed as Don, who is a celebrity in the world of hockey, whether you want to admit it or not.

Furthermore, pusillanimous snowflakes are the ones who put people on their ignore list, simply because they disagree with their point of view.
Actually Grouse a quick perusal through your threads sees a rather high rate of Race type comments among other things. You seem to have a issue with Asians and cops. I believe you have some deep seated issues that probably should be addressed.

As for your use of BIG WORDS.... Congrats, you get a long slow golf clap. Thesauruses are a wonderful thing. Funny though. Through all my years I have noticed those that really really go out of their way to use educated sounding words are only doing so to make themselves sound way more intelligent than they actually are. It's a way of covering up for something lacking in them selfs or in their lives. Based on your posts, I can see that as tracking very true at this point.

And finally, the ignore button is not for me to run away from people like yourself in a timid fashion but more so to rid myself of the negative people that tend to show up on here from time to time. I use it only in cases of extreme classlessness. Congrats, your only the second or third in 20 years of being here.

I stand by what I said.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Gotta love grapes. Says it how it is!!
Old 11-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Banned

Jamie, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Besides, I love everyone: Asians, cops and especially Asian cops.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:

I would hazard a guess that Don Cherry has done more and knows more about our country's war veterans than you ever will.

Just a WAG though.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I really don't think he was out of line. I think the biggest thing for people is that they are so far removed from wars, they don't really reflect on it. I would like to see schools make a bigger deal of it. I grew up in the Cadets, so I learned, other youth might not. And immigrants from some third world **** hole have their own horrors to deal with. A little more time on it in schools I think would change attitudes. To bad the WW vets are getting to old to address the youngsters.

Piker, my guess is that the only place in Canada that talks about Remembrance day is schools. Every school at every level has a Remembrance Day ceremony. Kids know exactly what it is about. Every year. Other than the Legion, who else has them? None I know of.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:03 PM

It’s pretty sad that what Don said is in the tip of the tongue of many. They sometimes can’t help themselves and they have to vomit it out like a dog that ate a rotten skunk. You people......really Don? It’s a pretty wide brush you use there.
Yes, we do enjoy your country. And yes, we are thankful for all that the soldiers have done for this country (and for other countries) And yes, it is the land of milk and honey.
But just like all gun owners are not gang members, and just like all hunters aren’t poachers, 99.9% of “us people” just want to carry on with life, raise a family, pay our taxes and contribute to society.
So Don, give those people a chance. You may be surprised.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Jamie, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Besides, I love everyone: Asians, cops and especially Asian cops.
But not Don Cherry or celebs or old stocks. Cause they don’t share the same opinion as you. That’s a very narrow minded view. Just because they hold a different view doesnt make them bad people. Hypocritical to say the least.

If you really want to change opinions and create change, start with respect for others. Even if they don’t share the same view as you. Your name calling makes you sound childish.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
But not Don Cherry or celebs or old stocks. Cause they don’t share the same opinion as you. That’s a very narrow minded view. Just because they hold a different view doesnt make them bad people. Hypocritical to say the least.

If you really want to change opinions and create change, start with respect for others. Even if they don’t share the same view as you. Your name calling makes you sound childish.
I don't have to show any respect to either xenophobic hicks or their heroes.

You have no idea as to how much anti-immigrant sentiment I've had to deal with in my life.

I hear the offspring of the past generations of immigrants demean the newcomers to this land on daily basis. Often as a bystander, since my European appearance allows me to blend in with the local populace.

They make the most absurd claims regarding the advantages that the gimmiegrants supposedly get in a vain attempt to ameliorate their own ineptitude and lack of accomplishments.

It's much easier to point your finger at someone and say "It's easy when the goobermint gives you ten million bucks!" instead of looking at your own life and criticizing yourself for the small choices that were made. The choices which yielded insignificant results that make so many people envious and downright miserable.

However, that is simply a part of human nature and I have come to accept it. Therefore, I don't care to change anyones' mind on any subject. It's up to the individual to prop themselves out of the proverbial quagmire of ignorance that most people wallow in.

Last edited by grouse_hunter; 11-10-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: shpelling
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Don Cherry holds the military, police, and firefighters in as high esteem as anyone I know. He also loves this country deeply. I have no issue whatsoever with what he said. If one is politically correct to a fault, and given to being offended, then they will call for his head. I actually think Ron Maclean should keep his lips shut. He's a wealthy man for one reason, Don Cherry. He should remember that.

Boy our world is screwed up. What on earth is wrong with a Canadian saying they think newcomers/immigrants should be wearing poppies? We should all be wearing them. Is a person racist if they liked Canada better 40 years ago, and don't like the changes to our society? I fall squarely into that group. Is a person racist if they want newcomers to Canada to learn about and appreciate Canadian society and traditions? I sure as heck don't think it has anything to do with racism. I'd be more inclined to say it speaks of patriotism.

I was seriously ticked off when I heard this rainbow poppy crap too. Does that make me a homophobe?

Just stupid.

All of it.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Don Cherry holds the military, police, and firefighters in as high esteem as anyone I know. He also loves this country deeply. I have no issue whatsoever with what he said. If one is politically correct to a fault, and given to being offended, then they will call for his head. I actually think Ron Maclean should keep his lips shut. He's a wealthy man for one reason, Don Cherry. He should remember that.

Boy our world is screwed up. What on earth is wrong with a Canadian saying they think newcomers/immigrants should be wearing poppies? We should all be wearing them. Is a person racist if they liked Canada better 40 years ago, and don't like the changes to our society? I fall squarely into that group. Is a person racist if they want newcomers to Canada to learn about and appreciate Canadian society and traditions? I sure as heck don't think it has anything to do with racism. I'd be more inclined to say it speaks of patriotism.

I was seriously ticked off when I heard this rainbow poppy crap too. Does that make me a homophobe?

Just stupid.

All of it.
I echo all you said. Well put!
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
What on earth is wrong with a Canadian saying they think newcomers/immigrants should be wearing poppies?

Just stupid.

All of it.
What he did was single out a certain group, and insinuate that we don’t care and don’t respect. He generalized on national TV to the detriment of a certain group. And he is wrong!
Old 11-10-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Piker, my guess is that the only place in Canada that talks about Remembrance day is schools. Every school at every level has a Remembrance Day ceremony. Kids know exactly what it is about. Every year. Other than the Legion, who else has them? None I know of.
I don't get it, if it is being taught in school, why the lack of respect for the day?

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
What he did was single out a certain group, and insinuate that we don’t care and don’t respect. He generalized on national TV to the detriment of a certain group. And he is wrong!
What group???? EXACTLY WHAT RACIAL GROUP?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
If you wear a poppy then you shouldn't be upset at all.

I've never taken note, but my guess is that new Canadians are less likely to wear a poppy. Maybe I'm wrong.

Is it wrong to want newcomers to Canada assimilate to things Canadians hold dear and are passionate about?

Just asking.

Canada has very little in terms of societal distinctives, but our historical, sacrificial, and out-sized contributions in wars that have preserved western ideals and democracy are damn important. If a Canadian cultural icon gets fired up over it, then I say good.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
What group???? EXACTLY WHAT RACIAL GROUP?
I never said racial....anywhere.
He singled out Immigrants.....”you people that came here....”
Old 11-10-2019, 08:49 PM

I think Cherry was trying to exert some peer pressure on immigrants to conform. I'm not a huge fan of his, I think he mostly rambles on, but on this I agree. I am tired of immigrants bringing their culture here and not trying to fit in as a Canadian. Just as I am sick of the sexual deviants trying to ram their lifestyle down Canadians throats. Fit in or get out. Being tolerant of others is one thing, bringing your baggage from the old country is another. When I see what this country has become from even 25 yrs ago it sickens me. Now I'll retreat to my safe place and suck on a snowflake shaped soother.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-10-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I don't get it, if it is being taught in school, why the lack of respect for the day?
Elaborate. You are generalizing.

Did you listen to everything your teachers taught you? Just asking.

Last edited by sns2; 11-10-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:59 PM

Canada.
Where hockey commentators are held to a higher accountability than prime ministers.....
Smh.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Canada.
Where hockey commentators are held to a higher accountability than prime ministers.....
Smh.
Bingo
Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Even schools are lacking. They are more worried about installing a new special bathroom for those with gender dysphoria. Literally what our shop hand who is in highschool said. He even said its BS.

I taught my kids about November 11th and what it means. One of my kids (10) gave an adult Sh*@ for talking about putting up xmas decorations before November 11th and told them why it was wrong lol