Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I'm trying to figure out if you're for real, or if this is a master class in trolling. Either way, it's pretty fascinating to watch.

The whole thing is kind of like a fish out of water comedy skit from 22 Minutes or something - The perfect caricature of the "lefty elite" from downtown Toronto goes to the Tim Hortons in Ft. Mac and talks with the locals...
Those are my thoughts exactly.
Except I see it more as one of the old SNL skits - "Daily Affirmations With Stuart Smalley".
Old 11-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Default I feel guilt every Nov 11th that I didn’t serve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Don Cherry holds the military, police, and firefighters in as high esteem as anyone I know. He also loves this country deeply. I have no issue whatsoever with what he said. If one is politically correct to a fault, and given to being offended, then they will call for his head. I actually think Ron Maclean should keep his lips shut. He's a wealthy man for one reason, Don Cherry. He should remember that.

Boy our world is screwed up. What on earth is wrong with a Canadian saying they think newcomers/immigrants should be wearing poppies? We should all be wearing them. Is a person racist if they liked Canada better 40 years ago, and don't like the changes to our society? I fall squarely into that group. Is a person racist if they want newcomers to Canada to learn about and appreciate Canadian society and traditions? I sure as heck don't think it has anything to do with racism. I'd be more inclined to say it speaks of patriotism.

I was seriously ticked off when I heard this rainbow poppy crap too. Does that make me a homophobe?

Just stupid.

All of it.
I agree with every word.
The song show some respect is quite fitting here.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
"You people that come here, whatever it is...love our way of life....."

If you think he meant anyone other than immigrants, you have a massive confirmation bias and have already made up your mind.
Even if he did, I don't understand how telling people to wear poppys is racist, wrong, offensive, hurtful, etc.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Even if he did, I don't understand how telling people to wear poppys is racist, wrong, offensive, hurtful, etc.
Agreed.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Banned

Another thing to consider.
Again, I work in an area that has a lot of new immigrants from North Africa (specifically Somalia). These people have recently arrived from a country where the military is most definitely not your friend. Where if you say something against the ruling regime the police or military (in essence both gangs of thugs) would hurt or kill you or your family.
Give them time to realize just how different things are here.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
It's the fact that he singled out immigrants specifically - which whether you think is racist or not (I don't believe DC is a racist) is just silly because I see many many 'non-immigrants' (we're all immigrants) not wearing poppies.

He's singling out a group and making sweeping generalizations about them and their values - which he has no data to support.

Instead of forcing people to wear poppies (specifically new people to Canada) - how about educating them more on the history of Canada, why November 11th is so important, and what poppies symbolize.

You think people who come over from 3rd world countries spent any time in junior high learning about a very western tradition?

A great opportunity to educate people blown because of a grumpy old guy who just needed to vent.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Everything is considered racist /hurtful these days. Especially if it is uttered by an old white conservative it seems. I've seen people on here get triggered because someone yelled praise the lord in the background noise of a video.

I hope sportsnet loses significant viewers over this, but they won't . We take what the media is feeding us and say please can I have some more of that gruel.

Probably hurt someones feelings by posting this .
Old 11-12-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
It's the fact that he singled out immigrants specifically.
Sorry man, I still don't get it. If he'd singled out millennials, of which I am, I wouldn't have gotten all fired up demanding his removal because his comment was wrong/hurtful/offensive.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Everything is considered racist /hurtful these days. Especially if it is uttered by an old white conservative it seems. I've seen people on here get triggered because someone yelled praise the lord in the background noise of a video.
Starting to make sense now......

I'm also learning it's very, very wrong and offensive to look at the camera instead of the reporter while being interviewed.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
x2 FisherDan - thanks for that

Our country is built on immigrants, and some native Canadians got overwhelmed.
First they were fur traders from England and France, leading ultimately to a colonial empire. Then we got a few Loyalists from a little dustup in the US.
Then we took in the landless peasants from Europe - poor, mostly uneducated and oh so willing to work. We were not so good at taking in Jews when the world was in crisis and we were being tested. We also were not so good to the Chinese and Sikhs, implementing discriminatory policies when they landed on our doorstep.
After the second big War to End all Wars in Europe we took in the DPs, and the economic migrants who sought a better future.

For those who are ever so ready point fingers at immigrants - exactly what point in our history was the perfect version of Canada that you want to lock us into.
1985 was funnest year of my life. So I say 1985
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 AM

Both of my Grandfathers immigrated to Canada. One married a Canadian girl, the other married a woman from the U.S. That makes my father, mother and all my uncles and aunts first generation Canadians. My father and every Uncle on both sides served in the Military and most served during WW2 and/or Korea. My mother and most of my aunts worked in one way or another for the war effort.

You bet your sweet pettutie I agree with Don Cherry. New Canadians need to celebrate the great country these people built and they need to show respect for what they sacrificed to do it. It is their job to learn the history of the Country they have come to and to help work to keep it from becoming the crap pile many of them have left. If they aren't willing to do even that much then they can boog off!
Old 11-12-2019, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Absolutely they should have that right. We can demand away but last time I saw, you dont get fired from your job for not wearing a poppy. Are you suggesting that should be the punishment?

Private companies can do whatever, fire whomever, over whatever they can justify.
It this day and age what Cherry said was pretty stupid, we all knew he would go out one day from saying something stupid. This was it. He brought it on himself.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage3006 View Post
Private companies can do whatever, fire whomever, over whatever they can justify.
It this day and age what Cherry said was pretty stupid, we all knew he would go out one day from saying something stupid. This was it. He brought it on himself.
Exactly, and as consumers, we can do the same, I cancelled Sportsnet and e-mailed them to tell them why. I know several other people that did the same.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I bet that the Natives were having very similar conversations among themselves when the European settlers were arriving! How dare they not wear a specific article of clothing on a day that is our holiday?! Oh the humanity...

As some people have speculated, perhaps many of the newcomers do not understand the significance of a poppy, but who is to say that their Canadian born children wont?

As I said on the first page of this thread "Thang damn gimmiegrants ruined Canaduh!" Grab the pitchforks!
"You people"
"The Natives"
The hypocrisy of YOU liberals really is something else.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
That is who Cherry has always been. He always says controversial things. I suspect his $1 million/year contract may be what they wanted out of.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Banned

Cherry should have waited a day before responding like he did.

He made this November 11th all about him....
Old 11-12-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Cherry should have waited a day before responding like he did.

He made this November 11th all about him....
They fired him on November 11th! He didn't make anything about him.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
They fired him on November 11th! He didn't make anything about him.
He could have waited a day to RESPOND.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
He could have waited a day to RESPOND.
Wasn't much of a response so not sure how he made it about him. Said he wouldn't apologize and he supports our veterans. Nothing would have happened if he didn't get fired on November 11th.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Don’t really see how Cherry wanting citizens to wear a Poppy and to remember those who gave their lives along with those who serve now is political commentary. It’s respect !!!! Which I feel you sir know very little about.
Very well said and right on the money, thank you!
Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Wasn't much of a response so not sure how he made it about him. Said he wouldn't apologize and he supports our veterans. Nothing would have happened if he didn't get fired on November 11th.
He didn't have to say much it seems.

Look what happened on here. All talk about him.

How many about our vets?
Old 11-12-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
He didn't have to say much it seems.

Look what happened on here. All talk about him.

How many about our vets?
All talk about him was due to him being fired and people be outraged over something so stupid.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Don Cherry holds the military, police, and firefighters in as high esteem as anyone I know. He also loves this country deeply. I have no issue whatsoever with what he said. If one is politically correct to a fault, and given to being offended, then they will call for his head. I actually think Ron Maclean should keep his lips shut. He's a wealthy man for one reason, Don Cherry. He should remember that.

Boy our world is screwed up. What on earth is wrong with a Canadian saying they think newcomers/immigrants should be wearing poppies? We should all be wearing them. Is a person racist if they liked Canada better 40 years ago, and don't like the changes to our society? I fall squarely into that group. Is a person racist if they want newcomers to Canada to learn about and appreciate Canadian society and traditions? I sure as heck don't think it has anything to do with racism. I'd be more inclined to say it speaks of patriotism.

I was seriously ticked off when I heard this rainbow poppy crap too. Does that make me a homophobe?

Just stupid.

All of it.
Very well said, I agree 100%

I am very proud that Don Cherry stood by his comment and refused to apologize. I am sure he doesn't really care as he is as done with the political correctness crap as the rest of us. He is in his 80's, he stuck to his opinion and will go out as a patriot! Along with his nice buyout.

Last edited by abhunter8; 11-12-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Default Warning

Fellas, this topic is one that brings about strong emotions. Let's not let emotions morph into insults as has been happening. Smart people can express emotions without being ignorant. Carry on.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:10 AM
Banned

Part of me agrees with him, part of me for the reasons I stated previously doesn't.
But one thing...the fact that he isn't backing down and holding to his beliefs...we need more people like that.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Sorry man, I still don't get it. If he'd singled out millennials, of which I am, I wouldn't have gotten all fired up demanding his removal because his comment was wrong/hurtful/offensive.
Millennials aren't a race of people.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:19 AM

I will give a little background on why I was a little concerned/disappointed in what Don said. It is not something I am going to debate and argue over. It is my personal perception of the world I find myself in.
What he said, on it's own, is probably insignificant, but in the scheme of things he threw another log on the fire, or another piece of straw on the camels' back.
Here are a few examples of my life in Canada:

I was head hunted by a company, and the first morning in the coffee room, a guy stood up, in front of at least 15 other people, and said "You're and immigrant right? So you stole another job from us!. Nice....real nice!"

I went to the bank to get a mortgage at the bank - had 35% cash to put down, bank manager says "we don't give mortgages to immigrants". I went across the road to another bank and got what I needed.

Went to the dealership to buy a new sled. Buddy bought exact same one yesterday at $xyz all in. My price is substantially higher, I ask why, and to great laughter of the salesmen i am told "immigrant tax"

I politely refuse a guy hunting privileges on my land because my kids ride their quads and motorbikes on that 1/4. The guy, clearly mad and upset that an immigrant told him "no" says "you immigrants are pretty ungrateful you know. If it wasn't for "us" you would have had nothing"

My wife and I have a private conversation and some stranger leans over and tells us to "speak English"

I had numerous screw ups with my recent renovation and when the contractor were confronted with it he said "you're not even from here, what do you know"

A guy on national TV makes a sweeping statement and says "you people....that came here....don't wear poppies" insinuating that we don't appreciate and don't respect. He does't rebuke the "other people "that don't wear poppies, just "you people that came here"

Now when a guy like Don, that has many viewers and great social influence says something like that, it gives some people (like the above examples) more ammunition and confidence to treat us immigrants with disdain. It somehow legitimizes their behaviour towards us. It gives them confidence to make jokes like "immigrant tax". They get braver in their behaviour because "If Don can say it, then I can say it".

Fortunately the above behaviour are a small portion of the population, but that small portion does have a loud voice.Immigrants only make out 20% of the Canadian population. We can't be blamed for all the problems.

I agree, everyone should pay respect on remembrance day. There may have been immigrants that were not wearing poppies, just like the were old stock Canadians not wearing poppies. Don should have not singled out a specific group. it has nothing to do with PC, his statement is simply not true.
In Don's defence, he never mentioned race, so any comments in news articles regarding that is unfounded.Should he lose his job, probably not. He could have maybe explained himself a little better after the fact if he did get misinterpreted.

Judge the individual, not the group. Many immigrant families do a lot of good in their community. They respect Canadian traditions and culture. They integrate and assimilate. When a popular social figure make a comment like that it nullifies all the positive contributions they make.

Please, I am not going to debate the above. I just thought I would give an honest immigrant perspective of what has happened the last 2 days and why some people reacted the way they did

Last edited by Immigrant; 11-12-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:26 AM

I’ve watched and went to my last hockey game...
Old 11-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Immigrant, great post. Thank you for telling us your experience(s). They are all dead wrong, and I don't think you would get any disagreement from members on that.

You know that I have nothing against immigrants, and that like you, I go out of my way to help them. Thank you again for your generous contributions to my efforts to bless immigrant families and show them Canadian hospitality at Christmas time.

The emotions over this are because it is Remembrance Day. Someone really needs to explain the significance of this holiday to all newcomers to Canada. What little identity we have as a nation beyond hockey, comes from our out-sized contributions to the great wars of the 20th century that preserved our democratic freedoms. They were literally paid for with Canadian blood. Thus the strong reaction from Don Cherry, and a large number of people across the country.

Secondarily, many, dare I say most, of us are also tired of the political correctness that has swept over us in recent years, almost stifling public debate over issues. This has been defined by the left to which many of us don't belong.

I don't see Canada as a racist country at all, though racism of course exists. I'm also sorry that you have had to experience it.

Our gov'ts of the day really need to explain to people as soon as they arrive that there are some things that are necessary in Canadian society, with one being wearing a poppy to show respect to the soldiers who have given their lives, and those currently serving to protect our freedoms and ideals.

If immigrant populations are not wearing poppies to the same extent, then I actually blame gov'ts for not making it clear to them. I highly doubt there would be any resistance at all to the idea of wearing a poppy to show respect to our fallen.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

And one last comment. I was at the Remembrance Day ceremony at the Alberta Aviation Musuem.
Lot's of new Canadians there showing their respect.
Imagine a lot here don't want to hear that though