Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Hope you have a full recovery bud.

Great buck!
Old 11-12-2019, 09:05 PM

Great buck but ow!!!

Hope you get back at er n heal up!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM

I almost completely severed my left thumb in an accident this spring. Cut bone and joint and nerve damage. Had a pin in my thumb tip for a month.
Full recovery now and back to doing normal things.

I wish you a speedy recovery. Make sure you keep going to the doctors regularly to keep the dressings clean and have them inspect it often.

On that note, can anyone recommend some extra hand protection for the cold months? To prevent this from happening?
My thumb tip gets really cold now compared to the rest of my fingers and my surgeon told me to keep it warm as its more prone to frost bite
Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 PM

A fine buck and great story with a sad third chapter. Thanks for sharing the gruesome pictures. I'm sure there are a few folks, young and old, that don't realize the consequence of not being prepared or being determined beyond the safety factor. Let your pain be their lesson.

Best wishes for a good and speedy recovery.

While you heal might be a good time to invent a heated butt stock grip and heated trigger guard for the future. Or a trigger guard that is big enough to allow a gloved trigger finger.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the comments Red.

“Determined beyond the safety factor”. There mate a bit of truth in that comment and with all the safety training I’ve been provided over the years it pains me to admit it. You also can’t underestimate the power a bit of adrenaline has and there is no doubt I was pretty focused on that wide-racked 4x4 to the point of having tunnel vision.

Believe me, I’ve had a lot of time in the last week to think about what I did wrong that morning. That’s pretty much all I’ve been able to do.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your fingers, that really takes away from the whole experience. Hope youre doing and feeling better.

Congratulations on your buck.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 AM

I’ve had a few PM’s lately asking how the fingers are doing so I thought I’d throw up an update. 2 weeks now since they got frost bite. All the blisters went down on both hands other that the two most affected; my right hand thumb and index finger. The thumb is fine but my trigger finger has a ways to go to heal up. I’ve been getting bandages changed every two days and the doc is confident of a full recovery barring any infection setting in.

I think my dream of being a hand model have come to an end though...

Old 11-20-2019, 08:23 AM

I'm looking into electric glove liners and have found a Calgary Company (Power in Motion, Eau Claire Market) that; supposedly makes their own electric glove liner and other accouterments for electric vests, socks etc. Their web site says (of course it says) developed for cyclists etc. and now used by police, outdoor workers etc. I like the Liner idea, thin, flexible and I should be able to keep right hand free of outer glove some of the time. Does anyone have experience with their product?
Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 AM

I got frostbite that looked similar to your index/middle/ring fingers about 10 years ago. I can only imagine how your thumb felt...

Got nerve damage as a result of the frostbite and now they get cold and lose feeling even in moderately cold weather. Real pain in the tush when you work outside most of the year...
Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Wow , that looks way better / worse than it first did . Hope there isn't any long term damage . Good to hear your healing up !
Old 11-22-2019, 02:27 PM

AJ your hands sure look rough hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:32 PM

The human body is amazingly resilient! All things considered, it looks to be healing up remarkably well. Chin up, my friend!
Old 11-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Great Buck, great story on how something small can go bad fast. Good reminder about cold temps and to be aware.

Thanks for posting, glad your not losing some digits.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Well, I’d have to say I ended up extremely lucky. 4 weeks to the day since I received severe frost bite and my fingers are looking great! The doc can’t believe how fast and how well I healed. Just a bit of redness but there does not appear to be any lasting repercussions. I have full function and all feeling has come back to them. I’ve been told to expect they will get cold much easier than before but I can live with that...

Old 12-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Man that’s gonna suck on the trigger finger. Perhaps you may have to look into a breath activated trigger (like some handicapped shooters use) if any problems arise. Glad recovery went well.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 AM

They look like they healed up nicely! I am happy they did. Don't give up on your hand model dreams!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
They look like they healed up nicely! I am happy they did. Don't give up on your hand model dreams!
x2, LOL!! Glad to hear that you'll be able to get out next year with no serious side effects. Good reminder on keeping an eye on yourself in cold weather, glad it all worked out for you!
Old 12-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Good news