Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2019, 09:27 PM

Default Harold Creek Well Road Access

Hi, I was on the Harold Creek road last weekend. I saw one well road I thought about going down - there was a downed tree right next to the gate. The gate was wide open but I decided not to drive down (didn't want to return to a locked gate). There was a sign on the gate saying something along the lines of "for access, call XYZ phone number". I wish I wrote down the phone number but I didn't.

Does anyone happen to know what access is like on these well roads on the Harold Creek Road or what the phone number is to call for access?

The road is roughly here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...4d-114.9660667

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 PM

They used to always be open then they closed them, then they were open then closed. Seems the last couple years they lock them in the summer and hunting season and leave them open in winter. Best to call to get a firm answer.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 AM

Yeah that seems to be my experience as well. The gate was open this time around, but you wouldn't want that to change halfway through the day! Now if I had only written down that phone number....
Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Most gates are by F&W, just call nearest local office. The oil company installs gate at request of F & W, the telephone number is their office.
Old 11-13-2019, 12:52 PM

been down a few of the road the last couple of weeks. They are either dummy locked or opened. I talked to a operator and he said they wont be looked during the winter. haven't seen any white tails in the area just a ton of moose.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Thumbs up Well Road

Always prefer them locked myself because it means if you are willing to go for a walk your chances are that much better on connecting.......
Old 11-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
Always prefer them locked myself because it means if you are willing to go for a walk your chances are that much better on connecting.......
You can also go for a 3 mile walk after reaching the end of a lease road. Gate or no gate really has nothing to do with it.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:09 AM

They started locking a few yrs back some hunters from Sask. came with trailers and would drive the road and harvest all species and take them back to Sask. Needless to say they did not need a license to hunt any time during the year. That is about the same time they put the restriction on how far from Harold Creek road you had to be before you could shoot. 400 yards if I remember. The first to close the roads was Shell.