Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Do you know what equity is?......

It sortof means equal opportunity.... that's as basic an understanding as I can get.

Do you REALLY understand and have a knowledge of Canada's history?

Human societies ARE INHERENTLY UNEQUAL...... but modern societies... ALL of them.... tend to try for some type of equity.

Why.....? Cause in my opinion the human potential to improve all of our lot rests in random humans.... not in an elite group.... not a 'special minority group'.... or any other group.

Huge contributions have been made to our society by
"cripples"
"Jews"
"Crazy Whops"
"Japs"
"red men"
"pinkos"

etc.... etc.

They just pop up. Give them a decent change to thrive and contribute. Where you and I differ is that I believe that, on balance, any given 'peoples' that are granted a decent chance will more than contribute to our world/society...... most here see the opposite. That's cool... I can respect your opinion. But i'd like to engage it as well man.

If individuals are slackers or leeches.... then nail em.

Elk you're feeding into a simple narrative of frustration that simply has no justifiable basis in fact short of the odd anecdotal bud. Study Canadian History...study american and European history.... you'll see the truth of things possibly.

Research the 'canada first' party from our history..... this set of narrative tools has been used before. Our own history is a hell of alot uglier than we know. Maybe we should come to terms with a little of it.

Your common sense isn't. It's operating on a 'super wayyy tooo short' data base.

ps.....
I've met Don Cheery.... interviewed him in the '90's when I was a student. He sells populism... its a great business model. Its' always easy to sell blame. Always has been. Damn good sales person too.

There's some awesome business models for selling Alberta Nationalism based on 'common sense' as well. I honestly am going to start selling stuff and running a podcast for Western Nationalism.

I need a cool name....any ideas?

pps...... gotta go werk. Again... I'd gladly take you for wild pheasants next year as I think your an ok guy. Hope I didn't pee on the wheaties.

ppps.... If dat BC case goes against the Cristian kids.... then yea.... I could be totally wrong and I agree with ya possibly.
I am well aware of the meaning of both equity, and equality. And I spent 35 years of my career working with people of all races, and religions from all parts of the world. The industry that I worked in was a big reason for having such a diversified workforce and community. The most successful of these people, are the ones that don't ask for special treatment, they go out and succeed because of their hard work and intelligence. Some of my best friends came from Brunei, where they were not even citizens, and couldn't own property. When they came to Canada, they didn't ask for special treatment of any kind, they earned the respect and the friendship of many people, including myself. They were thrilled at the opportunity to be able to become citizens, and to own their own homes. Other friends of mine are aboriginal, but they also worked hard, and became successful, rather than asking for special treatment. The people that did expect special treatment, were the ones that usually ended up causing issues, and they usually did not excell either in the workplace or elsewhere. The company that I worked for gave special preference in hiring and promoting people of certain races, and that caused more issues, and more division than there would have been without such policies. Certain people were allowed to miss work, and to violate corporate policy, without fear of being disciplined or fired, and it created the same division that our racist charter and policies cause every day in our country. Hiring or promoting based on race or religion didn't work any better when our PM chose his cabinet. You can promote unity, or you can promote division, but one goes against the other, so you can't promote both. You can't unite Canadians by giving some people special rights or privileges, all you do is foster an every group for themselves atmosphere, with every group trying to get more than the other groups. And this doesn't just apply to race and religion, Quebec is a prime example of what happens when one province is treated differently than others.
But regardless about how you feel about equality, things would be much different in the world, had people from so many nations not fought together to win the world wars. And paying respect to all of those people that fought and died, was what Don Cherry was promoting, when the incident occurred.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Leftist cancel culture...it’s the new way.

LC
Old 11-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am well aware of the meaning of both equity, and equality. And I spent 35 years of my career working with people of all races, and religions from all parts of the world. The industry that I worked in was a big reason for having such a diversified workforce and community. The most successful of these people, are the ones that don't ask for special treatment, they go out and succeed because of their hard work and intelligence. Some of my best friends came from Brunei, where they were not even citizens, and couldn't own property. When they came to Canada, they didn't ask for special treatment of any kind, they earned the respect and the friendship of many people, including myself. They were thrilled at the opportunity to be able to become citizens, and to own their own homes. Other friends of mine are aboriginal, but they also worked hard, and became successful, rather than asking for special treatment. The people that did expect special treatment, were the ones that usually ended up causing issues, and they usually did not excell either in the workplace or elsewhere. The company that I worked for gave special preference in hiring and promoting people of certain races, and that caused more issues, and more division than there would have been without such policies. Certain people were allowed to miss work, and to violate corporate policy, without fear of being disciplined or fired, and it created the same division that our racist charter and policies cause every day in our country. Hiring or promoting based on race or religion didn't work any better when our PM chose his cabinet. You can promote unity, or you can promote division, but one goes against the other, so you can't promote both. You can't unite Canadians by giving some people special rights or privileges, all you do is foster an every group for themselves atmosphere, with every group trying to get more than the other groups. And this doesn't just apply to race and religion, Quebec is a prime example of what happens when one province is treated differently than others.
But regardless about how you feel about equality, things would be much different in the world, had people from so many nations not fought together to win the world wars. And paying respect to all of those people that fought and died, was what Don Cherry was promoting, when the incident occurred.
I couldn't agree with you more. We will never have a united Canada while we have a Prime Minister that openly promotes tribalism and panders to special interest groups.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. We will never have a united Canada while we have a Prime Minister that openly promotes tribalism and panders to special interest groups.
And yet the PM is never accused of being a populist but just about every right of center politician is. Trudeau is a populist in the worst sense.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Well said! and spot on.

Personally I think Don is a self centered, egotistical blow hard and I never listen to his commentary or broadcasts and I really won't miss him. That does not mean he should lose his job for the things he said the other day. What we are seeing is right wingers and snowflakes running amok and a whole raft of idiots going along with them. Some are even fomenting the dissention because it works in their favor, "Sparkle Socks".
Old 11-14-2019, 04:04 PM

It is truely amazing how certain races, nationalies or religions can speak against Whitey ,Christians,Catholics etc..Then if Whitey,Christians,Catholics etc.. says something there are rules and laws set up to charge So called Whitey,Christians,Catholics etc..
Old 11-14-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield303 View Post
It is truely amazing how certain races, nationalies or religions can speak against Whitey ,Christians,Catholics etc..Then if Whitey,Christians,Catholics etc.. says something there are rules and laws set up to charge So called Whitey,Christians,Catholics etc..
Only whitey can be racist.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Leftist cancel culture...it’s the new way.

LC
Yup ...... Look who's intolerant now.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:31 PM

All Canadians should grow a pair. No more multiculturism,diversity,special interest groups! Let us try something amazing. Let us build on what we are famous for. Being nice and FAIR. How's about calling it Fairism. Pick a name. Most people around the world want what us as Canadians had from the 40's,50's,60's until Turd senior.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
And yet the PM is never accused of being a populist but just about every right of center politician is. Trudeau is a populist in the worst sense.

I can understand all of the hate towards the Liberals, NDP, Trudeau and the leftists in this country but why is it when Mulroney/Harper and the PCs were in power they couldn't do half of the stuff you guys wanted to happen in this country...…??????? Or is that Trudeaus fault as well...…

I didn't vote for him either so kill the personal attacks, am asking honestly.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Banned

don cherry.jpg
Old 11-14-2019, 10:10 PM

https://youtu.be/60EYR2_-VNI
Old 11-15-2019, 12:02 AM

This Don Cherry thing is where all this PC cr*p is currently snowballing to.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The red green alliance has now scored a direct hit against Don Cherry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irHG...ature=emb_logo
Old 11-15-2019, 01:03 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 03:04 PM

I never read the whole thread because its just too long after I found it.

Here's my take on it:

Whether Grapes is right or wrong is irrelevant.

There's tens of thousands of graves out there of those who sacrificed their lives to protect our Freedom of Speech; as well as all the other other Freedoms.

Now the perpetually offended want to destroy that Freedom, as well as all the others.

That's pretty disrespectful in my mind.

Are we living in a combination of "1984" and "Atlas Shrugged".......?

I sure hope I'm wrong!
Old 11-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Default Bobby Orr

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...ng-disgraceful

For me Bobby says it the best it is disgraceful how Don Cherry was treated. Whether you like him or do not like him it is still disgraceful.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield303 View Post
All Canadians should grow a pair. No more multiculturism,diversity,special interest groups! Let us try something amazing. Let us build on what we are famous for. Being nice and FAIR. How's about calling it Fairism. Pick a name. Most people around the world want what us as Canadians had from the 40's,50's,60's until Turd senior.
I could support this!

However there is no way any liberal could. They are to needing and wanting for themselves to practice any sort of fairness.

BW
Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
What we are seeing is right wingers and snowflakes running amok and a whole raft of idiots going along with them.
Right on Dean.

I agree. Both those on the right and those on the left are using Don Cherry's firing to espouse their own particular political and social views. Neither side is trying to consider who Don Cherry is or what he actually meant. There is no kindness or understanding shown anywhere. Canadians are becoming almost as divided along right/left lines as the United States. I am glad that I can at least throw in the "almost" as long as it doesn't get any worse.

Last edited by sk270; 11-15-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2019, 07:10 PM

So I haven’t listened to the Fan 960 for a week
I quit drinking Budweiser
I only support Bell not Rogers
All few little things but if we all did little things maybe it would become big
Don gets fired November 11 for what many men and women fought for
Freedom of speech
Old 11-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Banned

I’d say I’m going to boycott ctv, but I haven’t watched it in well over a decade!
Old 11-16-2019, 02:05 AM

I didn’t want to post in this thread, but I feel like ought to.

You all understand that this is about wearing a red flower on your clothing and not about how one actually feels about those who gave their lives for us to enjoy what we have today, right?

I came to this country with my parents when I was 17. I have now lived here most of my live though and I am Canadian, in spite of my heavy accent. Both of my grandfathers fought in the Second World War from the begging to the end and lived only to not tell the stories because of the horror they saw. They just didn’t want to talk about it aside from a story or two they thought was “funny” or ironic. I don’t know much about what one of my grandmas did during that time, but the other was also actively contributing to the cause behind the front lines. In fact, where I came from, I don’t know anyone whose family members weren’t actively participating or weren’t severely affected by the events that took place in the darkest part of the last century. At least one of my great grandfathers participated in the First World War as well. I know nothing about it, unfortunately. All I have is a picture of him wearing officer’s uniform.

For anyone to tell me that I don’t have respect for those who fought in those wars because I am not wearing a flower on my jacket in November is at least ignorant. None of you here or anywhere else on this planet can tell me what I should or should not wear on any given day to show my respect for those fallen in order for all of us living to enjoy the life we do today. It would be ridiculous to say otherwise. That’s what freedom is all about! Some of you seem to be confused about what freedom really is. Any individual should be free to choose what to wear and how to pay their respects. Sure, I understand it is a tradition, which is definitely not cultural because (my observation) most Canadians don’t wear a poppy today, but it doesn’t have to be mine even if I live in this great country.

Having said that, I have been wearing a poppy since my first November in Canada because I educated myself on what it represents. I can honestly tell you that I haven’t been wearing one every year and there were a couple of times when I just took the poppy without dropping any “coins” into the box because I didn’t have any. I also pin my poppy to the sun visor in my vehicle most of the time and have it there year round.

Here is another perspective for you, a real life story. In the year 2000 (+/- 2) I was riding a bus when an old man came in wearing an ushanka (those Russian hats, you can google) with soviet symbolics on it. I could see it was an old one, a really old one. I thought it was cool and asked him what’s the story and where he got it from. His answer was that he took it off a soldier he shot. Gave me a shake, literally. He was wearing a poppy though, a good citizen who pays his respects, right?

Anyway, these are my thoughts. As for Don, it had nothing to do with free speech. He was expressing his thoughts on public television while working for a particular company. Moreover, he is the face of a show connected to a particular company and his personal opinion has more weight than anyone’s on this forum. That is why you all wrote what you did and no one gave a ****; you all kept your jobs and weren’t even asked about your comments. He said what he said and he meant it. In spite of his excuse in the link someone posted above or the page before, where he said that he meant everyone and not just immigrants, he is guilty as charged. I am far enough from being a snowflake and he didn’t get my feelings hurt, not even close. However, I think his termination was fair. The guy outlived his air time a while back and what he said was that straw. Also, quite genuinely, if you are dumb enough to say something like that on national tv, your time expired long time ago.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:13 PM

I’m personally turning off HNIC today. Especially when Ron Mac comes on. Who needs a pal like that!
Old 11-16-2019, 05:13 PM

Watching HNIC, Ron MacLean comes on and I wasn’t sure how I would now respond to his presence on tv. I now have a significant amount of disdain for him.. Tossed his partner.
It’s time for you to go Ron!! What a ****ty week..
Old 11-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Ron, I sure wouldn’t want you in my fox hole. You snake.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Came here to learn about hunting. Didn't think my first post would on this.

Tough situation.

Maclean obviously very conflicted. You can sense that. Sometimes when a friend is an *******, you need to admit they were an *******, to them and to yourself, and hope they take the time to reflect. Blind loyalty aids no one.

Cherry's clearly a xenophobe, loads of comments down the years, ample evidence.

His legacy in hockey shouldn't be forgotten, he was massive for those he wanted to be massive for. I firmly believe he would back you to the hilt if you were one of his people. Everyone was clearly not his people though, and thats unfortunate.

Canada is one of the best countries in the world and is better due to its diversity.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:38 PM

Ron MacLean is an urban corporate survivalist,,,I found no solace in his soliloquy- Ron’s turn to go. Low Ron low.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovers View Post

Tough situation.

Maclean obviously very conflicted. You can sense that. Sometimes when a friend is an *******, you need to admit they were an *******, to them and to yourself, and hope they take the time to reflect. Blind loyalty aids no one.

His legacy in hockey shouldn't be forgotten, he was massive for those he wanted to be massive for. I firmly believe he would back you to the hilt if you were one of his people. Everyone was clearly not his people though, and thats unfortunate.

Canada is one of the best countries in the world and is better due to its diversity.
Great first post. You are here again short term?

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-16-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Tough situation.

I thought Canada was one of the best Countries in the world because of it's unity and freedom?
Do immigrants come here because they want 'diversity'?
No. They come here for freedom and economic opportunity. That's what my grandparents came here for. Not for 'diversity'.
Instead of preaching 'diversity' we should be preaching unity. Uniting all Canadians of all backgrounds.
Not punishing people for 'wrong think' and 'wrong speak'.

I will go out of my way to never watch another Sportsnet broadcast again.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Tough situation.

Conflicted over what? His own hypocrisy?

-Billy Molls