Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 06:44 PM

Default I suspect This Will Hurt The Calgary Economy..

Calgary man alleged kingpin of international crime network after record drug bust

CBC/Radio-Canada 7 hrs ago

Alberta police and U.S. officials have pulled off a record drug bust, seizing millions of dollars worth of drugs, cash and guns, and charging a Calgary man alleged to be at the centre of a massive drug network.
More than $15-million worth of drugs, roughly $4.5 million in cash and assets and 13 firearms were seized through Project Coyote, a two-year investigation led by Calgary officers, said Dwayne Lakusta, head of Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams (ALERT).
Lakusta said at a news conference Thursday the bust includes what is believed to be the largest fentanyl seizure in Canada.
ALERT alleges that the man at the centre of this drug scheme is Warren Lowe, 53, of Calgary.
In February 2018, ALERT received a tip that allowed them to find and seize 250,000 fentanyl pills from a downtown Calgary apartment. At the time, no one was home and no arrests were made.
Officials later identified a major cocaine distribution line and importation scheme that extended south of the border, said ALERT Calgary Acting Insp. Shawn Wallace.

© Provided by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation These fentanyl pills, stacks of cash and cocaine bricks were just some of the items seized after a two-year investigation by Canadian and U.S. law enforcement agencies.
With the help of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and the Harris County Sheriff's Office in Texas, an 81-kilogram shipment of cocaine was intercepted in Houston on May 18.
A Calgary woman, Elizabeth Fisher, 49, was arrested at the time and remains in a Texas prison. She is due to appear in court on March 2 and a Canadian warrant has been applied for her arrest.
That cocaine seizure and arrest was the catalyst for police to execute search warrants and arrests in Canada.
"We were not satisfied arresting the couriers, the mules. We wanted the financiers, the heads of the organization and the people calling the shots," said Wallace.
Wallace said the agency alleges Lowe oversaw this extensive drug network, which spanned from British Columbia to Ontario and established cocaine supply lines.
Lowe is now facing 23 charges related to organized crime, drugs and firearms.

© Provided by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation ALERT Acting Insp. Shawn Wallace says this is the most complex investigation he has ever been a part of in his 22 years of policing.
Joint agency effort
More than 30 search warrants were executed over the course of the investigation, and the most recent arrest took place Oct. 3.
Seven people have been arrested and are facing 77 criminal charges so far, according to ALERT:
Warren Lowe, a 53-year-old man from Calgary.
Elizabeth Fisher, a 49-year-old woman from Calgary.
Richard Fisher, a 44-year-old man from Calgary.
Emanuel Amha, a 30-year-old man from Calgary.
Olivier Kenge, a 52-year-old man from Calgary.
Cole Leblanc, a 30-year-old man from Calgary.
Victoria Pon, a 29-year-old woman from Vancouver.
"Never in my 22-year policing career have I experienced an investigation that rivaled this type of complexity and co-ordination," said Wallace.
The investigation was a joint effort involving the Calgary Police Service, the RCMP, the DEA, the Canada Revenue Agency, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and several regional Canadian law enforcement agencies from B.C. to Ontario.
The investigation is still ongoing, and additional arrests and charges may be forthcoming.
ALERT was established and is funded by the Government of Alberta and primarily investigates serious and organized crime.
Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
Old 11-14-2019, 07:14 PM

I think the only "economy" it will hurt in Calgary is the drug trade. Don't worry though, there are probably 10 more in line to take their place.

Mr Conservation
Old 11-14-2019, 07:27 PM

It would be nice to see a few of the big distributors hit and have the local junkies experience a dry spell, like when .22 LR ammo was as scarse as hen's teeth a number of years back.

If they don't need to buy drugs because the drugs aren't available, they might not be stealing F250's and iPads so often...
Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
It would be nice to see a few of the big distributors hit and have the local junkies experience a dry spell, like when .22 LR ammo was as scarse as hen's teeth a number of years back.

If they don't need to buy drugs because the drugs aren't available, they might not be stealing F250's and iPads so often...
Drugs will always be available. As long as there are broken homes and lost souls there will always be a market for the escape.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Drugs will always be available. As long as there are broken homes and lost souls there will always be a market for the escape.
I know the market will be there in perpetuity, but if the supply side had the occasional serious interruption here and there it would be nice.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:26 PM

Supply is low. Price goes up. Their going to be working overtime to raise the cash for the junk. Lock your stuff and let the dog out when it barks!!!

B .
Old 11-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Banned

The only economy hurt would be China’s. Which is fine by me.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:45 PM

It's a good haul but I suspect only the tip of the iceberg. Two problems: 1) The pusher's. 2) The buyer's. As long as there are buyer's the market will thrive. The number of people on drugs must be astronomical. It's all so sad.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:25 PM

Good catch. Please don't release.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2019, 10:26 PM
Banned

Wow, big numbers there.

I was north of Niton this fall on lease roads in the bush, stumbled across about 20 empty propane canisters, fans, bbqs, electronics. Thought it was just a bunch of crap left by campers. Told buddy about and he said it was a place where people cook meth. Took me a sec and kinda scared the crap otta me, would never want to pull up while a few people where cooking up meth.
I called the RC's. I dont go anywhere near there anymore.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post
Supply is low. Price goes up. Their going to be working overtime to raise the cash for the junk. Lock your stuff and let the dog out when it barks!!!

B .
I'm afraid this guy has it about right.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:59 PM

Why can't I ever trip across a hoard of cash like that at work?
Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Good catch. Please don't release.
I agree. Unfortunately, they will be back in business before long.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

I don’t think that’s how it works ... I think the Filipino president Durante logic works better no drug dealers , no users .

Last edited by fishtank; 11-15-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander B View Post

B .
have to agree well said
Old 11-15-2019, 07:29 AM

If I was them I'd call sparkle socks and ask for a DPA.
Think of the job losses if all these folks go to jail!