Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-31-2018, 10:36 AM

Default X5(i) vs NXS

Hey just wondering if anyone has experiance with both the Swarovski X5i and the Nightforce NXS. I'm going to looking to get one of the two in the next while and was wondering if anyone has some good input on the two? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:32 PM

Dont know if this will help, but I sold my NXS and replaced it with Sightrons
SIII series 6x24. Half the weight and half the price. Never yet been sorry.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Banned

X5 hands down
Better than the atacr
Old 10-31-2018, 08:36 PM

I picked up an X5 (non illuminated) last weekend.

Take a look at your setup, and see if the big bulge on the bottom of the X5 will interfere with your rifle.
There's a good chance you'll need some higher scope rings than usual.

I won't have it mounted to a rifle for a few weeks, but if I can answer any questions, just shoot me a PM.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:17 AM

Swarovski glass is way better
Old 11-01-2018, 08:39 AM

If you’ve narrowed it down between these 2; Swarovski would be the easy choice. Just curious, what type of shooting do you plan to do?
Old 11-01-2018, 09:04 AM

Depends if you prioritize durability, or that last little bit of clarity.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Depends if you prioritize durability, or that last little bit of clarity.
Swarovski makes very durable scopes. I don't think you give up anything there either.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Swarovski makes very durable scopes. I don't think you give up anything there either.
Among people who shoot a bunch, Nightforce’s reputation for accurate tracking and durability is unsurpassed. Swarovski, not so much. I know of several guys who’ve had Swaro riflescopes fail on them. Some of them multiple samples. Swarovski makes some incredible optics- including their binos/spotters. Maybe their riflescopes even have the ‘best glass’ available, but they are far from being as durable as NF.

Like I said- it depends on your priorities.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
Absolutely true! They make many models with different price points and price ranges.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Nxs

The nxs are built extremely well, I have a top of the line ziess diavari and yes the glass is outstanding but the quality of the scope is not, I have had many issues. I also have a sightron s111 and it’s nice but my nxs is defiantly built the best and most durable. If your looking for best glass go swaro , but if you want a extremely tough scope go Nightforce
Old 11-01-2018, 09:34 PM

I have 3 NXS. They are a great scope. Lightweight they are not.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 PM
Banned

Zeiss is different from Swarovski
The x5 is totally different than the z series
I’ve had a z5 fail
The x5 is far more robust and it’s a dedicated long range optic
I’ve had a couple nightforce scopes
Still have the x5
Old 11-02-2018, 07:23 AM

I have a couple NXS,sightron 111(poor mans nightforce)! and the Swarovski X5,and I gotta say I am a Swarovski fan all the way!
Old 11-02-2018, 07:36 PM

Thoughts on kahles or vortex razor seem popular.

Anyone seen a swaro scope on gun used in the military?

No doubt swaro has nice glass

No doubt nightforce have durability
Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have 3 NXS. They are a great scope. Lightweight they are not.
They’re not featherweights but not exactly boat anchors neither.,NXS is about as light as you’ll find in a good quality,exposed turret optic with comparable features.....it is after all pushed as NF’s “compact” line.
I’ve been window shopping/flip flopping between 1/2 dozen scopes for months now and I keep coming back to the NXS 2.5-10x42,now I just need to make up my mind on the reticle,lol....but I think I’ve pretty much settled on the mildot.
Love the mil-rad but a bit too busy for most of my hunting me thinks.

Last edited by West O'5; 11-02-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Thoughts on kahles or vortex razor seem popular.

Anyone seen a swaro scope on gun used in the military?

No doubt swaro has nice glass

No doubt nightforce have durability
Their x5i is new .....2nd focal plane isn't what the military is after aND like many agencies who knows the real reasons for their decisions..... s&b has had their own issues and are used by the military. Personally s&b noty cup of tea with the defects I have seen. Thankfully we can chose what we like on the merits alone.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton Lee View Post
Hey just wondering if anyone has experiance with both the Swarovski X5i and the Nightforce NXS. I'm going to looking to get one of the two in the next while and was wondering if anyone has some good input on the two? Thanks for the help.
Both good scopes, by most people's standards. I would look through them both with your eyes. The Nightforce scopes, are tough to beat.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Follow up

So from what I'm reading a lot of people are saying the x5 glass is better, but the night force will be more repeatable and durable? I'll be using it for mountain hunting in BC mostly.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 PM

Where would you place the Vortex PST Gen 2 in terms of glass quality especially when compared to the Sightron III.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payton Lee View Post
So from what I'm reading a lot of people are saying the x5 glass is better, but the night force will be more repeatable and durable? I'll be using it for mountain hunting in BC mostly.
You've got the gist of it.

Nothing man-made is perfect, but NF has years, decades, behind their reputation for durability and repeatability. There is a very short list of scopes that even come close. Some guys may say the x5 is just as good in terms of durability/repeatability- but it hasn't been around anywhere near long enough to say that, IMO. Who knows at this point. They may turn out to be the best long range scopes ever, but... Time and rounds down-range will tell.

Best of luck with your decision.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
You've got the gist of it.

Nothing man-made is perfect, but NF has years, decades, behind their reputation for durability and repeatability. There is a very short list of scopes that even come close. Some guys may say the x5 is just as good in terms of durability/repeatability- but it hasn't been around anywhere near long enough to say that, IMO. Who knows at this point. They may turn out to be the best long range scopes ever, but... Time and rounds down-range will tell.

Best of luck with your decision.
Still think the Swarovski X5 is better value down all categories. The only deciding factor for me would be if I want FFP vs SFP, as swaro doesn’t do FFP.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylverCANADA View Post
Still think the Swarovski X5 is better value down all categories. The only deciding factor for me would be if I want FFP vs SFP, as swaro doesn’t do FFP.
I much prefer SFP in a hunting scope.If a target animal is far enough away that I’m dialing turrets or even just holding for elevation and windage,I’ve got the magnification cranked anyhow.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I much prefer SFP in a hunting scope.If a target animal is far enough away that I’m dialing turrets or even just holding for elevation and windage,I’ve got the magnification cranked anyhow.
X2. A ffp scope is useless to me as I can’t see the reticle on lower magnification
Old 11-07-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
X2. A ffp scope is useless to me as I can’t see the reticle on lower magnification
I honestly don’t see any benefit to having FFP unless you make your living in hostile environments and use it for mil-rad ranging hard targets of known dimensions......and even then you are likely only using it to confirm what your $20,000 LRF is reading.
That said,being something of a math geek,milrad reticle ranging is a kinda fun and cool skill that I practice in the field and confirm my guesstimates with LRF and/or GPS.Even with a 2FP mildot reticle I’m able to calculate surprisingly accurate range guesstimates,and with a bit of experimenting I found I was able to calculate accurate subtension values at magnifications levels less then the calibrated full power.
ie;my Trijicon 3-9x40 mildot is 2FP,so of course it’s calibrated to be accurate mils at 9x......and messing around with a target at 100m one day a few years ago I discovered that the dots are 2 mils apart @6x and 3mils @3x.....your milage may vary with your reticles(?)....misspelled “milage” pun intended,haha.
Anyhow.......point being,there’s not much that you can do with a FFP in terms of reticle ranging that I can’t do by framing a known dimension target between dots in a 2FP and some quick calculations.