Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 PM

Default Sylvan Lake Float Tube White’s & some Rainbows - Season End'r

Oct 17th, went out for a couple hours this afternoon, Bty day light south breeze, +24C, summer/fall is here.

Pre-spawn Whites are active, had the most success in rock/sand/gravel bottom in 12-14 fow, using my favorite mini Mr. Twister with a 1/32 oz head. Was surprised when one big pike took my micro jig, she fought & fought and dragged me around for a bit, wouldn't fit in my net, I was lucky to get her to swim up on my lap to remove the hook and take a pic. Don’t forget all Pike are C&R this year in Sylvan.

Fishin Tip … drifting with the south wind & jigging was non-productive. I had most/all of hits/hook-ups casting out and slowly worked/swimming/jigging my presentation & occasionally bouncing bottom back toward the float tube. The fish were hugging the bottom, you can feel them inhaling it & need to be quick setting the hook otherwise they’re gone.

A few pic’s …. enjoy.

David

Our new sign.

Lighthouse area close to home.

Wasn’t the only one enjoying the day.

Got a bunch of these.

Upper Lip Hook-ups are the Best.

Mouth full of Teeth!

Big Pike like Micro Bait!

Mrs was happy to get some Whites.

No Monsters all nice size.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up

Nice good job
Old 10-18-2018, 05:41 AM

For the life of me I cannot catch a lake white in open water. Zip-in-Z you have posted many pictures with the little jig with a twisty tail. Are you just casting and retrieving or is this under a slip bobber?

Help an old dog learn a new trick !

Thanks, Dodger.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
For the life of me I cannot catch a lake white in open water. Zip-in-Z you have posted many pictures with the little jig with a twisty tail. Are you just casting and retrieving or is this under a slip bobber?

Help an old dog learn a new trick !

Thanks, Dodger.
Mr. D .... as mentioned in the post, no bobber, using an ultra-light outfit & 6lb floro leader I can only cast the 1/32 oz jig about 20-25 feet, then let is float/sink to bottom & slowly retrieve while jigging and picking up the slack. The Whites inhale it when the jig falls/drops and if you hit bottom occasionally I believe that's the trigger.

I tried the bobber thing numerous times, it's easier to cast out but for me not much success.

Yesterday, with the light south wind my float tube was drifting too fast. It was important to keep my presentation down & near the bottom, by casting out and holding my float tube in one position I was able to hook a number of them as well lost a few as they sure are quick.

Trust this helps.

David

Side note ... the largest one was a female with eggs developing the others were all males.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr. D .... as mentioned in the post, no bobber, using an ultra-light outfit & 6lb floro leader I can only cast the 1/32 oz jig about 20-25 feet, then let is float/sink to bottom & slowly retrieve while jigging and picking up the slack. The Whites inhale it when the jig falls/drops and if you hit bottom occasionally I believe that's the trigger.

I tried the bobber thing numerous times, it's easier to cast out but for me not much success.

Yesterday, with the light south wind my float tube was drifting too fast. It was important to keep my presentation down & near the bottom, by casting out and holding my float tube in one position I was able to hook a number of them as well lost a few as they sure are quick.

Trust this helps.

David

Side note ... the largest one was a female with eggs developing the others were all males.
Mr D thanks you. Keep enjoying the open water !!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 PM

Nice work Zip! Looks like the weather should hold for some more white fish days
Old 10-18-2018, 10:23 PM

didn't catch what lake?
Old 10-18-2018, 10:49 PM

It’s a secret lake
Old 10-19-2018, 12:01 AM

Great catch and feast. Sylvan whites are perfect size for the smoker too. One fish per serving. Nice to see open water whites. I think open water whites are an overlooked opportunity in October and November.

I have ice fished right about where you were in the picture, NE of the lighthouse, and always caught a few perch. Did you catch any of them?

The water must have a little bite to it now. Are your flippers and lower legs insulated or maybe the water is still tolerable?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-19-2018, 11:37 AM

Mr. Snap, surprised you didn't mention getting out for some fall action, weather is looking good for the next week??? I haven't put anything away might get out again this afternoon.

Guess C-bait hasn't seen our new sign off Lakeshore Drive, yet!

Mr. Bullets
, yes the water temp is dropping, I have insulated waders, long johns & 2 pair wool socks. My knees are above the water, you need to keep the feet warm/dry, working the flippers helps do that. I haven't caught any Perch nor Walleye fishing at this time of year off the Main Pier or Light House, but have caught them there ice fishin, too. I don't bother with bait, no need for Whites, they can't resist my micro Mr. Twister.

Side Note:
The Mrs cooked up a number of fillets yesterday, she commented that the texture of meat isn't as firm as when I get some ice fishin. I can't eat fish, due to allergies, so can't confirm, but found her observation interesting ... have others experience this with Whites ?

I was waiting for someone to comment on how I handled that big Pike, had to put it in Khabib leg hold to extract the hook, that said, no issues with a clean release.

See ....

Old 10-19-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Mr. Snap, surprised you didn't mention getting out for some fall action, weather is looking good for the next week??? I haven't put anything away might get out again this afternoon.
Nice!!
I've been there and done that already at Sylvan
Made mine into fish burgers and they were just plain awesome.
I'm into exploring new water this fall and have been having a great time of it. I think I'll continue on new water while the weather holds.

On the texture, there is probably something to that. I haven't really noticed the change from Winter for Sylvan. Where I do notice it is Talbot lake. So much so I don't fish Talbot in the summer or fall for whites. Their taste and texture goes downhill pretty quick towards the end of June.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:58 PM

Oct 19th .... Went back out this afternoon, no wind which wasn't all that great for fishin, caught two Whites and my first October Walleye in 3 years ... slow but a nice day. Had a slow leak in my left float tube bladder, needed to pump it up every 15 minutes, then my right side was loosing air, my azz was wet, went home early. Will try to repair it, called Scott (bwackwabbit) he says he has a repair kit if not I can use his float tube next week.

Mr. Snap ... tks for the feedback on the taste/texture of Whites.

A few pics from today .....

D.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:03 PM

Oct 23 …. My float tube is in dry dock getting repaired both the air bladders are leaking, I must of over inflated them and the seams let go, no big deal, they're repairable. Borrowed Scott’s, his has oars, much easier getting out to deep water and back, still used my flippers to maneuver around while fishin/casting.

Went out at 3:00 pm, bight sunny day +16C, very little to no wind (not ideal) got a couple of Whites for the neighbor and to my surprise 3 walleye’s smacked my micro Mr. Twister in 8 -10 fow not far off the Lighthouse land mark.

I find it very peaceful on the water with no other boats around, hoping the warm weather continues until the season ends here on Oct 31st.

A few pics.

D.

Old 10-23-2018, 10:42 PM

Awesome photos as usual Zip!

Where abouts do you get in with the float tube? I was wanting to go this week with my 10' pontoon and since the marina boat launch is a pain to use and expensive, I need to find a place where I can drag all my gear and set it up on a beach without getting told off that I should be using a boat launch.

I see that there's a little dock in your photos and that seems like a perfect spot as long as it's not real far away from parking. I don't have my pontoon setup with wheels yet so I'd be humping it all in pieces to the beach.

It kinda looks like you are around here? https://goo.gl/maps/JWDtLVo19B32 Or were you by the waterslide?
Old 10-24-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
Awesome photos as usual Zip!

Where abouts do you get in with the float tube? I was wanting to go this week with my 10' pontoon and since the marina boat launch is a pain to use and expensive, I need to find a place where I can drag all my gear and set it up on a beach without getting told off that I should be using a boat launch.

I see that there's a little dock in your photos and that seems like a perfect spot as long as it's not real far away from parking. I don't have my pontoon setup with wheels yet so I'd be humping it all in pieces to the beach.

It kinda looks like you are around here? https://goo.gl/maps/JWDtLVo19B32 Or were you by the waterslide?

S-shotz .... the town purchased the old water slide property, you can drive into the parking lot and I back into the area were the asphalt walking path starts towards the lighthouse & unload my gear on the picnic table then move my vehicle. It's about 20-25 paces down the bank to the floating dock that's pulled up on shore. I get organized and depart from there.

Trust this helps & wish you all the success.

D.

See ....

Old 10-24-2018, 10:09 PM

That helps a bunch! I didn't know about the waterslide and thought it was still private property and $$ to park there.

Looking forward to getting out there on Friday one last time as the weather looks decent, just hope it doesn't get too windy. Either way, still better than spending my birthday at work in a boring office
Old 10-25-2018, 09:19 PM

Oct 25th …. I’m sure your tired of seeing my pic’s while I’m enjoying another bty day out on Sylvan, well too bad!

Scott (bwackwabbitt) had to work today but I bet he was thinkin of fishing. It was the day after a full moon & my best day of past 2 weeks, was fishin in 6-8 fow & almost every cast I had a White on or chasing my jig to the float tube. I tried to identify any females and released those immediately and ended up catching 9 Whites and kept 4 males and 1 was a small female that was still developing eggs. You ask how ? Males were milking on my waders. Also had some Walleye action in deeper water, no pike today, went home after 2 hours. Looks like the weather is going to change over the next week & up to the end of the month.

It’s been fun out on the lake with this incredible warm weather. Wish you all the success on Friday .... Slingshotz.

A bunch of pics from today …. Enjoy!

David

Lighthouse … not a breath wind.

Scott’s Pumpkin mine’s still broken.

Norglenwold shore line.

Main Pier

N. West towards Sunbreaker.

1st White in less than 5 minutes.

Aggressive today all upper lip hooked.

Bonus …. a couple nice walleye.

They also like the Micro Mr. T.

Neighbor was happy to get more fish today.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:30 PM

Love the pictures Buddy, and no I'll never tire of seeing your posts..very entertaining, awesome pics, great scenery, what's not to like...glad your having some late season fun!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-26-2018, 04:53 PM

Great Pictures thanks for sharing them with us. D.H.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:41 PM

Slingshotz was that you today?

Nice set up, looked like you were using a fly rod, trust you had some success!

D.H. & Zip .... pleased you enjoyed the pic's & I'm sure Scott did, too.

Cheers

D.

Old 10-27-2018, 01:02 AM

Yup that was me!

At the beginning of the day I actually met Fishmonger out on the water and we were both out further and deeper in 9-12 fow. I didn't get anything out there but it got really windy and choppy. Fishmonger said he got a couple walleyes.

Once I retreated to calmer waters in 7 fow I really dialed them in Caught 5, lost 3 or 4 all within 3 hours. Great fights on the 4wt fly rod, lost one larger one when it took off like a freight train screaming my reel.

I then went out with my son and the lake got glassy calm and fishing died off for about an hour. Once the wind picked up again and the chop started to jig the wireworm and micro jig, he managed to land two whites. Unfortunately he missed a bunch more as he's only 5 and still gets too distracted to watch the indicator intently

Thanks again for the info for that great parking location. It wasn't too bad to assemble and haul the pontoon over to the water.

All in all, a great way to spend my birthday
Old 10-27-2018, 08:43 PM

Slingshotz .... pleased to read you had some fun/success fishin on your B-day, as well spending some quality time with your son & him catching a few fish, too.

Priceless!

D.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:48 PM

Oct 27th .... repaired the Float Tube air bladders following the mfg’s recommendations, they held air pressure for the past 2 days, installed them this morning and went out ready for sea trials. Not a great day, WNW wind blowing close to 30 KMH my tube has no oars it’s 60+ hp flipper driven, had to quit after about 1 hour, got too tired. It was tough trying to control/hold the tube and fish, however, they were still active, had a number of hits but had difficulty setting the hook due to slack line. Managed to catch 2 Walleye and ended up keeping 3 Whites for the Mrs. The sea trials were successful no loss of air pressure the air bladders held up, my lesson learned “don’t over inflate them”! Monday looks like another promising day, hopefully the wind will be down.

A few pics of today’s adventure, as well, I’ve included a few pics of the air bladder seam repair process, in the event someone has similar future issues & did a search they would find this post/thread.

Cheers

D.

She floats!

Bit windy today.

Still active in wind.

No leaks, called it a day!

Keywords = Float Tube Vinyl Air Bladder Seam Tear Repair Type B Patch Successful

I had some Goop and inserted the applicator into the seam to bond the inside of the tear, I used a teaspoon to work it back into the damaged area. Used some sandpaper to rough up the vinyl area I was going to patch, then clean it with acetone, or use alcohol wipes, now you’re ready for the repair. Scott gave me some of his “Tear Aid” he got it from Princess Auto, I used a small amount to patch the initial tear in the seam. I found the Stanley Vinyl Repair at Cdn Tire, it’s used for swimming pool seam repairs, I used it to make a large patch to cover the entire seam. In other words I made a double patch. After the repair I inflated the tube to 60% and allowed the goop & seam repair material set for 24 hours then filled the bladder to 90% and let it sit overnight, no leaks.

Trust this helps.

First Patch = Tear Aid it come sticky 1 side.

Second Patch = Covering Initial Patch/Repair & Entire Seam

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-27-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:23 PM

Oct 30th … end of the season, cool +6C light NW wind, got my limit of Whites in less than 1 hour & 1 Walleye was a bonus, it was a fun couple of weeks, my little micro Mr. T’s produced a number of fish, I’m sure others here will be checking out Cdn Tire looking for the 2” brown/black spotted Mr. Twister bodies. Yesterday, I ordered a set of aluminum oars, oars locks & 30” molded kayak seat to customize my float tube with a few minor modifications, the Z-z Tube will be retrofitted over the winter …. looking forward to next year!

Scott & I are headed for Troutville were looking for some Browns, Brookies & Bow’s before the ice forms, never ending fun!

A few pic's from today .... enjoy!

D.

Cool day ….

Inhaled it down deep!

I keep catching the same Walleye!

Nice Ride.

Had some company today.

Bag of trick & treats!

Mrs enjoyed another fish dinner .... until the next adventure.

Trust everyone enjoyed this season's pic's & perhaps a few fishin tips, too!

D.

Edit .... close up of Mr. Twister body with 1/32 oz jig head that I used in this thread.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-30-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:02 PM

I’m the company in the light blue pontoon.

Garry
Old 10-31-2018, 12:07 PM

Cool post overall Zip. Glad to see you were killing it for the end of season. We sure got lucky on Oct weather.

Now, tell it freeze damnit FREEZE!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Cool post overall Zip. Glad to see you were killing it for the end of season. We sure got lucky on Oct weather.

Now, tell it freeze damnit FREEZE!!!
Mr Snap .... we sure did enjoy the last 2 weeks of fine weather, today, Saturday, Nov 03rd was a bonus, it's time to put the float tube away, now it can get cold.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Finally got Scott out on his float tube, we had a great day the sun came out around noon, light South wind +11C fishing was a bit tough, you had to work for them.

This was our open water “Season End’r”.

Were both from Sylvan but it’s not Sylvan Lake today.

Caught a bunch of nice Rainbows not Whites, they all got released.

A few pic’s to close out this thread.

Cheers

David

Old 11-03-2018, 09:59 PM

Nice pict CONGRATS
Attached Images
File Type: gif thumbs_up.gif (7.3 KB, 234 views)
File Type: gif fishing.gif (1.0 KB, 230 views)
File Type: gif fish12.gif (11.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: gif fish11.gif (2.3 KB, 230 views)
File Type: gif envy_fishing.gif (393 Bytes, 231 views)
File Type: gif gone_fishing.gif (3.8 KB, 234 views)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Mr Snap .... we sure did enjoy the last 2 weeks of fine weather, today, Saturday, Nov 03rd was a bonus, it's time to put the float tube away, now it can get cold.

Cheers

D.
Change over is here. Other than today, only 2 days in the next 14 are forecasted to make zero. Ice prediction time!