Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
270 win or 6.5 creedmoor...the creedmoor will equal the 270 with about 4 lbs less recoil energy. Not sure what’s available but those would be the top two choices for cartridge imo. Weather vanguard or Howa 1500...same action...Howa 1500 action. You can get McMillan stock in classic sako down the road...seen a lot of Macmillan stocked vanguard stainless that are pretty drool worthy rigs that shoot. Tikka another fave of mine, the laminate stock is 3/4 lb heavier than synthetic which makes recoil that much easier as they are light rifles! Little bit lore money for laminate stainless though...worth it? Another one I’m curious about is x-bolt in creedmoor, I’ve never been a browning guy but have to admit there is some curiosity on the xbolt platform, look into it. Good luck
He said he is interested in elk and moose hunting. 270 would be the smallest he should go. There are smaller cartridges suited to recoil sensitive shooters, and those are adequate performance for deer, but striving for minimal recoil shouldn't precede having proper knock down energy for on a bigger animal like elk and moose.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
He said he is interested in elk and moose hunting. 270 would be the smallest he should go. There are smaller cartridges suited to recoil sensitive shooters, and those are adequate performance for deer, but striving for minimal recoil shouldn't precede having proper knock down energy for on a bigger animal like elk and moose.
Pretty certain “back in the day” before magnumitus swept over the hunting community there was probably a couple dozen moose at least fell to the ol’ 30-30Win....not to mention a few more since then taken with modern archery tackle that delivers how much energy on target(?)....jest sayn....shot placement,shot placement,shot placement.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:38 PM

I’d recommend a Remington 783 chambered in 7-08 or 308
Old 11-12-2018, 12:55 PM

I would buy the best 30-06 that you can afford and you would be set for life. Start with a Nikon scope and upgrade later if you would like to.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks again for all the responses. Definitely a lot of food for thought.

I am definitely interested in the bigger game as I’ve eaten a lot of moose/elk and they’re two of my favourite proteins. I’ve been doing a bunch of reading and the 7mm-08 round is beginning to look very appealing. From what I’ve read Federal seems to make several rounds that should be effective on elk within 300yds.

Reading and numbers are obviously no replacement for experience though and that’s why I’m here! There have been some supporters of that cartridge here so curious about peoples’s experience with it. Particularly on elk/moose.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:07 PM

Default Gun

Buy a browning xbolt or a tikka T3, both are great rifles. Can find used ones for 600-800$ all the time and go with a Nikon scope if your on a budget
Old 11-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Pretty certain “back in the day” before magnumitus swept over the hunting community there was probably a couple dozen moose at least fell to the ol’ 30-30Win....not to mention a few more since then taken with modern archery tackle that delivers how much energy on target(?)....jest sayn....shot placement,shot placement,shot placement.
30 cal with a proper weight bullet is an excellent choice if used at the appropriate distances for the cartridge velocity.

An archery arrow approximately 475 grains with 1.5 inch cutting diameter penetrates and causes damage in a different manner than bullets, and doesnt have much value in comparing rifle cartridges.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
30 cal with a proper weight bullet is an excellent choice if used at the appropriate distances for the cartridge velocity.

An archery arrow approximately 475 grains with 1.5 inch cutting diameter penetrates and causes damage in a different manner than bullets, and doesnt have much value in comparing rifle cartridges.
I am a bit old school when it comes to hunting cartridges for big game, mostly because of the averages distances that deer and moose etc are taken at.
I like a heavy for caliber style of weight, and a 30 with 180 grains works well, but so does 165 grains.
My custom built hunting rifle uses bullets fro 174 to 215 grain bullets and although slow when compared with many of today's modern cartridges, it drops stuff with authority.
A 308 or 708 would be a good choice IMO.

Cat
Old 11-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
You clearly got swept up in magnumitus lol. My recommendations meet his criteria very well. My bull moose went 15 yrds with a Grendel, so did my whitetail. Anyway, all I’m hearing so far is how much further everyone else’s stuff is going before it goes down...all of em magnums. There’s no replacement for placement lol.✌️
Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I am a bit old school when it comes to hunting cartridges for big game, mostly because of the averages distances that deer and moose etc are taken at.
I like a heavy for caliber style of weight, and a 30 with 180 grains works well, but so does 165 grains.
My custom built hunting rifle uses bullets fro 174 to 215 grain bullets and although slow when compared with many of today's modern cartridges, it drops stuff with authority.
A 308 or 708 would be a good choice IMO.

Cat
Bang on no pun intended,a 30.cal 165 is very versatile round for anything with hooves,my go to with.30-06 since forever.

Quote:

Not to argue how archery tackle effectively kills vs the shock and awe of bullets,but even a .223 at typical archery range <50 yards will deliver far more trauma then any broadhead.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
You clearly got swept up in magnumitus lol. My recommendations meet his criteria very well. My bull moose went 15 yrds with a Grendel, so did my whitetail. Anyway, all I’m hearing so far is how much further everyone else’s stuff is going before it goes down...all of em magnums. There’s no replacement for placement lol.✌️
I agree ^

I can put a 129 grain sp 6.5 creedmoor straight through a 5/8" mild steel plate at 100 yards

There's no animal in Canada that's going to take that kind of energy and not die.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
I agree ^

I can put a 129 grain sp 6.5 creedmoor straight through a 5/8" mild steel plate at 100 yards

There's no animal in Canada that's going to take that kind of energy and not die.
So will any number of cartridges ,it means nothing in the big scheme of things.
There are two schools of thought when it comes to hunting cartridges - light and fast and slow and heavy
There is no right answer to either school , either ., it has been argued since spear chuckers sat down around a campfire.
I have been very successful with both types , even in the 6.5x55 between the
Lighter weight 127 classes and the big 160’s everything died fast with no difference compared to my 45/70’s
I simply prefer to hunt with bigger weight bullets with a bigger meplat these days .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-12-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:28 PM

No replacement for placement, I love it! I have taken a lot of game over the years and elk hunting I was always glad to have a .300 or 30-06. As discussed above, placement and bullet suggestion goes a long way towards filling the freezer too. You can always find quality ammo no matter where you are in those 2 cals too. Remember, when you are hunting, it will most likely be parka weather and you won't even notice the recoil to your shot.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:45 PM

I posted earlier but forgot my scope choice. If I was buying a starter rifle or a budget rifle is get a 783, I’d then buy a Nikon scope for it. Prostaff 5 or 7 but they’re really a great optic and track better then vortex. Glass clarity is pretty up there too, I only buy Nikon or Leupold.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:22 PM

For a first rifle, I would look for something used, and given you have a shoulder issue, if you are generally hunting deer, the 25-06 is a great flat shooting cartridge. A limbsaver or dedelerator recoil pad will also really make a difference with fekt recoil, and there are some slip on pads, that may not be aesthetic, but they work well. Of course a 30.06 is a great all round cartridge, factory ammo is available everywhere and tbere are numerous bullet types and weights for different purposes. In addition, there are some factory reduced recoil rounds in 30.06, 7mm etc that offer the flexibility to lower recoil dramatically for hunting under about 250 yards.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:50 PM
Banned

As you’ve probably noticed, there are dozens of different cartridges that will do the job effectively. I’d say keep your eyes open for a good deal on a Tikka T3, as mentioned they can be had used in the $600-$800 price range. On a side note, I just picked up a Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40 for the Tikka I just bought and I have to say I’m really impressed with the generous eye relief even at 10x, it will make an excellent hunting scope. Cabelas is the cheapest I’ve found them @ $630 which is an excellent deal imo.

6.5 Creedmoor
260 Rem
6.5x55 Swede
270 win
270 wsm
7mm-08
280 Rem
7mm mag
308 win
30-06
300 mag

That’s just a very short basic list of a few cartridges that will all do what you’re looking for. Choosing the right platform will be more important than what cartridge it’s chambered in. I guarantee if you grab a Tikka T3, slap a limbsaver recoil pad on it and you’ll be tipping over game left and right. I’ve got a bunch of guns more expensive than the Tikka but it’s still one of my favorite guns to use.

I’ve seen used Tikkas go for as little as $650 and the Leupold vx3i 3.5-10x40 go for $450 used. $1100 and you’re in business!
Old 11-12-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanks a ton guys for all suggestions. Any used gun sites to pay more attention to? I’ve stumbled across a couple but wondering if there’s any that I’m missing.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryDan View Post
Thanks a ton guys for all suggestions. Any used gun sites to pay more attention to? I’ve stumbled across a couple but wondering if there’s any that I’m missing.
Townpost
Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 PM

CGN, Townpost, GunPost and of course here on AO
Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 PM

I deer hunt with a Tikka M695 25.06 w/Leupold Vari X II 3-9*50mm that I am have been using for years. I took a 10 year hiatus from using it, if you weren't a lefty I would see if you would be interested.

If you can find a M 695 lefty I would strongly consider it
Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks again for all the responses. Definitely a lot of food for thought.

I am definitely interested in the bigger game as I’ve eaten a lot of moose/elk and they’re two of my favourite proteins. I’ve been doing a bunch of reading and the 7mm-08 round is beginning to look very appealing. From what I’ve read Federal seems to make several rounds that should be effective on elk within 300yds.

Reading and numbers are obviously no replacement for experience though and that’s why I’m here! There have been some supporters of that cartridge here so curious about peoples’s experience with it. Particularly on elk/moose.
I took a pretty large cow elk last year with my 7-08 shooting 140 grain Federal Fusion bullets. The range was just over 300 yards (ranged distance) and it was a good broadside shot. She went about 5 yards and a nicely mushroomed and intact bullet was on the far side under the hide.
I really like my 7-08. My 308 and 270 spend more time in the gun safe than the 7-08 does. Great caliber.

The setup probably meets your specs too:
Remington 700 SPS around $700
Vortex Diamondback 2x7x32 less than $300
I also have a Boyd's stock on it.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Subaru297; 11-13-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:30 AM

Just chucking this out there as something to consider. You can get a Browning BLR lever action with iron sights in 7mm-08. This will be around $1000 and you can always scope it later. I never owned one, but it looks pretty sweet and I would love to try one to use in the bush to compliment my scoped Vangaurd.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Matt, My Father-In-Law found a Belgium Browning BLR .308 at a garage sale in Oregon 7 years ago, still wrapped in the cosmoline paper it came in. He picked it up for $400. It shoots sub MOA and is one of my favorite rifles. I put a Nikon MONARCH 3 2-8x32 BDC scope on it to keep it streamlined. The only bad thing I have had happen with the rifle is that is does not want to shoot in sub 20 deg F temps. Yes, all the grease is gone, I sent it back to Browning after it wouldn't fire in the field on KS winter. The could find no reason why this is an issue. Needless to say, it is a 40 deg and above rifle but fun to shoot. We did a deer management hunt years ago and my son took 16 doe with it in 1 afternoon. All the meat went to a food bank in N. TX. It is a warm weather shooter for sure!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Hey everyone and thanks in advance for the advice and apologies for the long read.

I’ve been trying to get into hunting the last 5 years but getting married, moving a couple times and having a kid have all knocked it down the list. I’m hoping next year is the year and am already starting to plan things out for next fall. First step is getting a rifle!

Budget is on the smaller side, looking at around ~$1000 for gun and optics.

I want something that’s fairly versatile as deer, elk and moose are all on my wish list and at least for the first couple years I’ll likely only have the one rifle.

I’m a lefty (also left eye dominant) and my experience with firearms is restricted to a lot of .223 and 12 gauge shooting. I’m fairly small framed (5’10” - 160lb) and ideally would like a rifle on the lighter side.

I’ve had a recent shoulder injury and, while hopeful that everything will heal up as good as new, ideally the cartridge would be lighter on the recoil side.

I’ve done a bunch of reading on various calibers but would love some recommendations from people that actually hunt where I live!
As others have said, it doesn't take a magnum or a bruiser of a round to kill an elk or a moose - don't fall into this trap. They're not wearing body armour, and thousands upon thousands of large ungulates have perished quickly and effectively with smaller calibers and lighter kicking rounds. You're gonna be better off hunting with a .243 you can shoot well than a .300 mag that you can't shoot very well.

I'd echo the suggestion of options such as the 7-08, .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, or .308. Ammo for these are available in many options and are not overly expensive.

Used might be the way to go for that budget, however if you're set on new, I love Tikkas, and if you're looking to keep it cheaper, I'd probably go with a Ruger American and either a Nikon, Bushnell, or Vortex up top. One of the best budget scopes I ever ran was a Bushnell Legend HD (although I believe they're discontinued now).
Old 11-13-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Matt, My Father-In-Law found a Belgium Browning BLR .308 at a garage sale in Oregon 7 years ago, still wrapped in the cosmoline paper it came in. He picked it up for $400. It shoots sub MOA and is one of my favorite rifles. I put a Nikon MONARCH 3 2-8x32 BDC scope on it to keep it streamlined. The only bad thing I have had happen with the rifle is that is does not want to shoot in sub 20 deg F temps. Yes, all the grease is gone, I sent it back to Browning after it wouldn't fire in the field on KS winter. The could find no reason why this is an issue. Needless to say, it is a 40 deg and above rifle but fun to shoot. We did a deer management hunt years ago and my son took 16 doe with it in 1 afternoon. All the meat went to a food bank in N. TX. It is a warm weather shooter for sure!
Thanks for the heads up! A new rifle is a few years away for me, but it needs to work in cold temperatures for sure given how cold in can be here end of November! They sure feel beautiful shouldered in the store.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Matt, My Father-In-Law found a Belgium Browning BLR .308 at a garage sale in Oregon 7 years

The only bad thing I have had happen with the rifle is that is does not want to shoot in sub 20 deg F temps.

Theres a handy attribute for an Alberta hunting gun to have.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:39 PM

Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Left-Hand Bolt Action Rifle w/ Scope
7mm Rem Mag, cant go wrong with this set up.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM

Default caliber decision

Ya, first maybe see what you can get in Lefthand. As for calibre, I would suggest .270 for something universal, if you want something more unicorn like maybe the .280. As for brand, can't argue with Tikka, great rifles. I know my sister inlaw has a 6.5X55 and it downed a moose this season no problem! Also a cool little calibre, not entirely different than a .270

also... you can get a limbsaver recoil pads that are pretty slick and do help! I use them on all my guns and why not!

Tikka has got my vote. Buy slightly used better quality vs. brand new it is always worth it.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Default I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Theres a handy attribute for an Alberta hunting gun to have.
I know, crazy. I have had it looked at, worked on, pieces replaced and nope. Obviously, I will never take it cold weather hunting again because I can't trust it.I had a BAR .300 Win that froze up on me on my first elk hunting trip 35 years ago. I banged it against a tree because it wouldn't fire, after doing that it did get the job done, but it was minute of pie plate accuracy. Sold it and replaced it with a bolt gun. A buddy has a 3-year-old BAR .243 that shoots .75 MOA. They have come a long way! These days when I am frigid weather-bound and there may be ice, snow, sleet, and rain, I know a bolt gun will get the job done.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone and thanks in advance for the advice and apologies for the long read.

I’ve been trying to get into hunting the last 5 years but getting married, moving a couple times and having a kid have all knocked it down the list. I’m hoping next year is the year and am already starting to plan things out for next fall. First step is getting a rifle!

Budget is on the smaller side, looking at around ~$1000 for gun and optics.

I want something that’s fairly versatile as deer, elk and moose are all on my wish list and at least for the first couple years I’ll likely only have the one rifle.

I’m a lefty (also left eye dominant) and my experience with firearms is restricted to a lot of .223 and 12 gauge shooting. I’m fairly small framed (5’10” - 160lb) and ideally would like a rifle on the lighter side.

I’ve had a recent shoulder injury and, while hopeful that everything will heal up as good as new, ideally the cartridge would be lighter on the recoil side.

I’ve done a bunch of reading on various calibers but would love some recommendations from people that actually hunt where I live!
Keep your eye open for a used tikka t3 or browning xbolt in 7-08 or 308 in the buy and sell on this forum. They both manufacture left hand models and sell on here fairly regularly. Regarding your shoulder I would consider staying away from really lightweight as they will thump you more.