Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 07:35 AM

Nothing wrong with looking at different options bmj, that could be part of finding what best suits your shooting needs.

A bit more hunting, target shooting, general plinking,,, finding that comfortable medium in your ever changing needs and wants.

Some of us run into this a few times in our shooting hobbies, some folks buy once and call it good,,, nothing wrong with that option either.

The benefit to your self is what really counts.

Something that will fit the niche between good times, over all costs so you can enjoy using it when the time comes.

Keep us up todate on your findings since its nice to know the directions that shooters are heading as it benefits the shooting community as a whole.

Cheers from Don
Old 11-07-2018, 07:53 AM

I enjoy cheeper factory ammo so I would have to go with a 30-06, .270, or .308. New calibers like the 6.5 creedmoor intrigue me, but not enough to ditch my T3 Lite in 30-06 and plus I dont reload. It does kick though but is more manageable ever since I put on the Tikka style limb-saver. For me I only really feel the recoil when I shooting at the range the moose I shot with it this weekend it felt like a .22.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:01 AM

I've shot 7mm 08 and I shoot a 308 and I honestly don't see a recoil difference. My buddy has a 7mm 08 Sako and he can't match the accuracy I get from my 308 Tikka . If 308 recoil is a problem then hey, perhaps a 30 30 with a limbsaver and a couple extra coats are in order.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:20 PM

I also down graded from 300wm didn’t feel right to Target whitetail and usually just end up blowing them up and it wasn’t fun to shoot at the range. I put A brake on it and increased the weight to 8.5 lbs and it shot a lot nicer. The 30-06 270 are very similar and theres not much of a felt recoil difference for me from the unbreaked 300wm especially with light rifles. I’ve shot ultra light 7mm08 with 140gr bullets that felt like a 300 when they kicked. I settled on a 8.5 lb 25-06 and couldn’t be happier recoil is very light and it does a great job on game. If I was going to go with a short action I think the other guys hit the nail on the head with 308 7mm08 6.5 creed or even a 257 Roberts providing they wouldn’t be in one of the ultralight 6.5lb unscoped mountain setups. It would really depend on where that hold in my collection is as to what game I’m going to be chasing. There’s so many dynamite jack of all trades under rated short action caliber out there for hunting in Alberta that could easily dual purpose varmint and big game and still be fun to shoot at the range.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Recoil can be more about the platform and fit.

I have a light Savage 99 in .308 that isnt that fun too shoot from the bench. But my .300wsm and .300 Win mag are way easier to shoot from the bench. My other half learned to shoot with the .300 WIn Mag.

Calibers get blamed too much over the platform and fit.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
T3 lite is a light rifle...………….as someone else said, a 30.06 isn't much of a stepdown in recoil from your .300 win mag. Light rifle and 30.06 hurts me every time. I shoot kids and women's rifles...

7mm08
Your right, my t3 lite kicked hard so i put a Boyd’s thumbho;e on it with a limb saver, still kicks hard but not as hard lol
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM

7mm08

I love mine, its a delight to shoot and I wish I got it years ago.
it will kill anything we come across in Alberta
Old 11-07-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Whew,,, now we got all the info righ there, he is certain so there it is, flood the market with all the 7mm mags and 300Win mags because most hunters with experience agree, praise the lord the word is out, now on a serious more common sense approach, reload and lighten the recoil if thats the issue, put a new stock on it if its heavy, or get a 243 or a 7mm 08 for you, your wife and your kids to share ( had to do it sorry)
Perhaps you just skimmed through what I wrote? Or didn’t understand all of the words?
Old 11-07-2018, 02:30 PM

The quest for the ultimate rifle, caliber, cartrage and intended goal over a X amount of time.

Of course a person can add to the list that best suits this.

The option of reloading our own ammo opens a few doors.

This is dependent on the person "if" they choose this route.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:09 PM

Thank you to everyone for the input. I’m stuck between 7mm-08 and playing it safe with a 30-06.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Default Choosing rifle

Old 11-07-2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Perhaps you just skimmed through what I wrote? Or didn’t understand all of the words?
I skimmed through nothing, everything i wrote in there was a direct quote, no misunderstanding of any kind. You wrote exactly what i quoted. You put words in the mouths of other people without thought. Those are your thoughts and your thoughts alone without validation from Most people with experience, as per your statement. Lots of people with as much or more experience than you shoot magnums and love them. If its your opinion then keep it to that!!!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 PM

270 All. Day. Long
Old 11-07-2018, 09:30 PM
Banned

The 270 and 308 will be close to recoil energy in the light Tikka and it’s personally about the limit of what I’d call fun to shoot at the bench in that weight of a gun. The 6.5 creedmoor would likely be about 3 - 3.5 ft/lbs less than those two with higher bc and sd than both the penetration will easily be there to match the other two also. It’s very efficient.

I love the 270 and have owned a couple and still have one I can’t imagine getting rid of. But being a blaser k95 with barrels at 1800 a pop it’s going to stay a 270 although if shopping now it would be a creedmoor easily.

My vote is 270 or 6.5 cm (and both have great factory ammo options)

30-06 will still beat you, it’s not enough of a step down in recoil imo
Old 11-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
I skimmed through nothing, everything i wrote in there was a direct quote, no misunderstanding of any kind. You wrote exactly what i quoted. You put words in the mouths of other people without thought. Those are your thoughts and your thoughts alone without validation from Most people with experience, as per your statement. Lots of people with as much or more experience than you shoot magnums and love them. If its your opinion then keep it to that!!!
Did I offend “team magnum” by suggesting that non magnum cartridges are considered by most, to be more than enough to handle most hunting shots where shooting over 300 yards is rare. Am I now required to give back my 7 rem mag to the magnum club?
I think that you are goofy and confusing. I suspect that English isn’t your first language.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Did I offend “team magnum” by suggesting that non magnum cartridges are considered by most, to be more than enough to handle most hunting shots where shooting over 300 yards is rare. Am I now required to give back my 7 rem mag to the magnum club?
I think that you are goofy and confusing. I suspect that English isn’t your first language.
Once again you make suggestions with no foundation, you call me goofy and then be rude to people who may not be from here. You know nothing about most hunters and again speak for people you dont know. English as a second language people at least know not to open their mouth about crap they dont know anything about and certainly dont speak for people they dont know. Give your 7mm mag to whomever you want as your clearly just mouth and no shoulder so you likely just look at it in you gun safe anyway. I dont represent a team of people i dont know but do know enough about you already to dismiss your assumptions about others a pure garbage with no real knowledge of hunting calibers or cartridges or the people who use them. Maybe next time try to use your own experiences as validation rather than an imaginary group of people to support dumb statements.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM

I fear the belt around the magnum's waist may be a tad too tight.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I also down graded from 300wm didn’t feel right to Target whitetail and usually just end up blowing them up and it wasn’t fun to shoot at the range. I put A brake on it and increased the weight to 8.5 lbs and it shot a lot nicer. The 30-06 270 are very similar and theres not much of a felt recoil difference for me from the unbreaked 300wm especially with light rifles. I’ve shot ultra light 7mm08 with 140gr bullets that felt like a 300 when they kicked. I settled on a 8.5 lb 25-06 and couldn’t be happier recoil is very light and it does a great job on game. If I was going to go with a short action I think the other guys hit the nail on the head with 308 7mm08 6.5 creed or even a 257 Roberts providing they wouldn’t be in one of the ultralight 6.5lb unscoped mountain setups. It would really depend on where that hold in my collection is as to what game I’m going to be chasing. There’s so many dynamite jack of all trades under rated short action caliber out there for hunting in Alberta that could easily dual purpose varmint and big game and still be fun to shoot at the range.
I agree with most of this, a light rifle in 30-06 is probably not going to feel much different than a 300wm in a standard weight, it might even kick worse in some cases. That said, I'll take the lighter rifle over the more powerful round any day of the hunting season. Just my own observation, the animals seem to notice the difference in killing power far less than my wrists notice the difference in weight after about 9 hours.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 PM

I have the debate on which cartridge to get. Then I go hunting, shoot a mule deer at 250 yards and he drops like he was struck by lightning and all concerns I had were gone! Recoil has never been a big concern of mine. I can go to the range and fire 30 shots from my 300 win mag no problem. My main concerns were rifle weight and ammo cost. I believe I am going to explore 30-06 in a tikka t3x lite stainless. Thanks to everyone for the input.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Another vote for the 270. I put a 145gr Hornady ELDX from 220 yards into a 5x5 bull elk last weekend and he could barely make it 30 yards.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:09 PM

I own a factory Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 one of the sweetest rifles I own even with the Tupperware stock. Recoil in a Tikka is a BIG consideration as there is not a lot of rifle weight to absorb the heavy recoil some bigger rounds generate.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I own a factory Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 one of the sweetest rifles I own even with the Tupperware stock. Recoil in a Tikka is a BIG consideration as there is not a lot of rifle weight to absorb the heavy recoil some bigger rounds generate.
YUP ..... shot a Tikka Lite in 30-06 and it's punishing. I was seriously stunned.

I own a 300 win, 300 wby and have shot a 275 HH unbraked that 30-06 in that light gun was the worst mule of any of them. Seriously more of a sharper kick than any of those (albeit all heavier rifles).

Maybe it didn't fit me well - I dunno - but I'd get a good recoil pad.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:13 AM
Banned

save yourself stress find a 7mm-08.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:15 AM

If you buy a tikka t3x lite,be sure and buy a limbsaver at the same time.I recently did some load developement on a buddies 7-08 and after 10 shots you can feel the shoulder pain.It wasn't horrible.Put a limbsaver on it and its alot better.I think 7-08 is a nice hunting round but I would go with a 6.5 myself if I was only hunting deer or even something in 6mm.The 6mm Creedmoor has sparked some interest.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Since your looking to shoot factory ammo I would make a small suggestion. Now that rifle season is in full swing, go to your local store and see what ammo is currently available on the shelves and the pricing. My first rifle (.308) was bought during hunting season and ammo selection was very poor at the local stores. I immediately wish I had purchased a 30-06 because there was ammo available everywhere.
All of the calibers listed in this thread will handle any game in North America, its all a matter of your personal preference.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-18-2018, 12:31 PM

For a T3 Lite or any light weight rifle a 7-08 would be my choice if to have only one gun. Considering 95 % of animals hunted are shot within 200 yd a 7-08 will kill anything its pointed at with excellent bullet bc and with today's bullets construction. The low recoil combined with the low weight rifle should provide years of enjoyable hunts.
i have had many a friend complain of their heavy weight magnums and their recoil blast only to finally downsize. ( I own a 300 and 375 and love them!)
Old 11-20-2018, 03:01 AM

This cartridge thing is a trap. So much hype over so little real practical difference. I could just grab a #1 in 7-08, for which I have everything I need. But, I'd like a rimmed cartridge. Thinking another 30R Blaser, there is a reasonably priced 30-06 #1 around, that could be reamed to 30R, but, saw mention of a 6.5x65R RWS now being offered, and it has me intrigued, as I am a sucker for something out of the ordinary.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
This cartridge thing is a trap. So much hype over so little real practical difference. I could just grab a #1 in 7-08, for which I have everything I need. But, I'd like a rimmed cartridge. Thinking another 30R Blaser, there is a reasonably priced 30-06 #1 around, that could be reamed to 30R, but, saw mention of a 6.5x65R RWS now being offered, and it has me intrigued, as I am a sucker for something out of the ordinary.
It’s s trap sure , at “practical “ or “normal” hunting distances danged near any cartridge will do .
It’s no secret I like “obsolete” rimmed cartridge as well and single shot actions .
I had my ultimate hunting rifle built for me around both and my sanity has been questioned by some for my choice of both rifle and cartridge .
Three facts remain however .
The combination works super .
It’s mine so anybody who doesn’t like it need not fret about it .
I like it and shoot it well , which is the most important to me because no matter how much I like a rifle if I can’t shoot it well I will not hunt with it .
Cat
Old 11-20-2018, 06:26 AM

Cat;

Now I must know, what is this custom rifle? What chambering?

Mike
Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortex View Post
Cat;

Now I must know, what is this custom rifle? What chambering?

Mike
I am on my phone and don’t know how to post a pic, but the rifle is based off the Ruger single shot ( full custom from barrel to wood ) and is chambered in.303 British.
If you search my started threads in my profile I think there is a thread on it .
Bill Leeper built it fir me in 2010 but I never got it checkered until 2016, I just started hunting with it right away!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-20-2018 at 06:37 AM.