Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-06-2018, 08:28 AM

Default AMP Mark II annealer

Finally got to try out the Mark II yesterday. Damn life got in the way since last Thursday. The Aztec mode is cool! It seems the factory setting for Lapua brass is spot on. I tried it on four different calibres (all Lapua). This thing is really just plug 'n play. Having the original unit since the beginning of this year, there was nothing different to learn in the standard mode. (btw, I did use AMP's case evaluation service earlier this year before the Aztec software upgrade was available on the original unit)

Above, it sits next to the original machine (on the left). As you can see, the cabinet is exactly the same. But there are dual cooling fans instead of the single one on the original unit. Have a look at the size of the BMG pilot and grip/shell holder. Massive compared to even the .338LM which sits on the left of the smaller line-up. But, isn't everything with the BMG?

If you're still on the fence about these units, really....they are so easy. Pricey? Yes! But the cool factor is off the charts! So what's to report? It looks like same old, same old as compared to the original unit. With the exception of doing the BMG case and having the ability to evaluate your own brass. Choose your program number, correct pilot, and grip/shell holder combo....insert and push the button. Make sure you have a cooling tray (and don't drop a hot case on the carpet) and away you go.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

Honestly, I was looking at one of these. The price is worth it compared to the propane flame annealing. It's literally a plug and play. And I wouldn't have to worry about an open flame inside the house.

I'll probably order one once I start reloading more.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaHunter View Post
Honestly, I was looking at one of these. The price is worth it compared to the propane flame annealing. It's literally a plug and play. And I wouldn't have to worry about an open flame inside the house.

I'll probably order one once I start reloading more.
You could also check out salt bath annealing. MUCH cheaper than these unit and pretty much just as fast. No possibility of over heating cases and ruining them like with a torch.

The guy that makes these videos and sells the parts is from Edmonton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8q4ER6dyaA

http://ballisticrecreations.ca/
Old 11-08-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
You could also check out salt bath annealing. MUCH cheaper than these unit and pretty much just as fast. No possibility of over heating cases and ruining them like with a torch.

The guy that makes these videos and sells the parts is from Edmonton.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8q4ER6dyaA

http://ballisticrecreations.ca/
I have his setup. Very easy to use and does an excellent job.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM

I don't have the MarkII but I have the V2 of the first Gen. Not really sure what it does but that is OK.

You don't buy one of these units for speed/cleanliness/lack of flame. You buy one of these because if you follow the instructions you are guaranteed to correctly anneal your brass.

I had a propane unit and did the lights off test, the templaq, etc. and I can tell you that the seating feel after using the AMP is different.

AMP actually did a hardness test on pretty much all of the brass out there to determine the correct heating time for each cartridge and lot.

TL: DR - The amp guarantees you a properly annealed cartridge - all of the other methods do not.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:43 PM

One of the main reasons I bought mine was that I wanted to use it indoors. My reloading/gun maintenance room is my son's old bedroom. Very posh....carpet on the floor, etc.. A flame annealer just would not work. Also the salt bath annealing system wouldn't work well either in an indoor setting. Molten pots and liquids would not be my cup of tea indoors.

And to be able to analyze your own brass, regardless of make, to perfectly anneal everytime just sealed the deal. In fact, there is no setting in their regular/normal mode for .50BMG. When I got mine, I had to sacrifice a case and create my own custom setting. So, no matter what I load, I can perfectly anneal any case regardless of make of brass or calibre.

But the price scares a lot of people. I look at it as a sunk cost of the infrastructure of my reloading equipment. Much the same way as I look at the cost of both of my presses, case prep equipment, etc.. And at $5 per case cost of Lapua cases for the .50BMG, I sure as heck want to extend the life of these expensive pieces of brass.

Probably the most important reason to me is consistent neck tension. I've seen first hand the inconsistencies of work hardened brass when seating bullets. A fact that doesn't go unnoticed when talking about the accuracy of the finished cartridges. Most of my shooting is extreme long range when using the big calibres (.338LM and bigger). Anything that can affect accuracy and precision (read: repeatability), is something I take seriously.

(And, these things anneal very quickly.)