Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 PM

Default ozone for scent elimination

has anyone used an ozone generator to get rid of scent on trapping equipment? specifically snares and the like?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:27 AM

Considering most guys myself included set snares with their bare hands I doubt it. After I boil them in baking soda, mainly to dull them I bundle them in 10s and put them in a clean milk crate where they sit in my shop until I go trapping. Grab a crate and go. A crate will hold about 120.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Considering most guys myself included set snares with their bare hands I doubt it. After I boil them in baking soda, mainly to dull them I bundle them in 10s and put them in a clean milk crate where they sit in my shop until I go trapping. Grab a crate and go. A crate will hold about 120.
x2, I set with my bare hands as well and rarely have refusal. I think people are over thinking when it comes to scent elimination for hunting and trapping. If animals were spooked by all human scent, they wouldn't be able live anywhere.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:23 AM

I don't use gloves of any kind setting coyote snares or traps and a no problem catching them. As long as you are relatively clean you will leave very little scent from your hands. Most of the scent will be from your body. Just get in, set and get out as quickly as possible and you will have little problem. Coyotes are generally quite familiar with human scent and will know that you were there; you just don't want to leave a bunch at the set.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:31 PM

i know most coyotes don't care too much but there always seem to be a few that know whats up at the snare site. i was thinking about upping the scent control for those and wolves.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
i know most coyotes don't care too much but there always seem to be a few that know whats up at the snare site. i was thinking about upping the scent control for those and wolves.
Unless those are a specific problem,stock killer, I consider them breeding stock for future crop. The dumb critters generally pay as much as the smart ones.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:52 AM

Default Ozone

I use mine in the stabbin cabin after skinning. It works great for any unpleasant odours.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:30 AM

I have used the ozone generator for every kind of odor elimination. When I skin, mold in the house, smoke odor in the truck..... it will kill any odor releasing bacteria.
It should not be used when people are around though. Up to a certain concentration, the ozone might damage your lungs.