Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2023, 05:54 AM

Default Flinch

Since large magnum pistol primers became available locally I have tried them in my low power rifle plinking loads. They work well in 303 savage but when I used them in place of large rifle magnum in 30 06 they resulted in consistent hangfires.this load was 28 grains 4227 with a cheap armscor 110 grain bullet. Anyway I found that when offhand shooting I would drop the muzzle right off the paper by the time the bullet came out the barrel resulting in misses. I had a built in flinch which I had learned to beat most of the time with normal ammo but it is still there. Offhand shooters, are you also beset by problems you can't beat?
Old 11-24-2023, 09:29 AM

Start by using the proper primer.
Pistol primers are not as thick as rifle primers or as tall.

Constant hang fires should be a warning that something is up.

For flinching, practice with snap caps.
Have someone load the gun for you, dummy rounds and live rounds, until you no longer flinching when pulling the trigger.
Old 11-24-2023, 06:33 PM

100% focus on the target. Will the bullet where you want it to go. Focus so hard on where you want the bullet to go that you barely know the gun goes off.
Start with a rim fire.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-24-2023, 07:07 PM

I used to do that with the bow if my mind wasn’t focused. Fix is to tell yourself to follow through until you hear the impact.

Digging arrows out of the dirt tends to annoy me enough to focus on the next round. Eventually the right way became habit.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:39 PM

Dropping the barrel is one of two things.
You are either lifting your head at the shot( poor follow through)
Or you are over anticipating the recoil and thrusting yourself forward to compensate for the recoil.

Get a side lock muzzleloader(flinter is best) and shoot it lots, your bad habits will be to huge to not notice.

Then practice practice practice.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-24-2023, 08:22 PM

I work on it but I think for some people it's something that can't be banished. I see that the puny 6br which doesn't even knock over all the targets in silhouette is all the rage and in the winner circle in h.p. silhouette, I suspect flinch is rearing its ugly head even among very good shooters
Old 11-24-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
I work on it but I think for some people it's something that can't be banished. I see that the puny 6br which doesn't even knock over all the targets in silhouette is all the rage and in the winner circle in h.p. silhouette, I suspect flinch is rearing its ugly head even among very good shooters
Get a buddy to load for you, with some dummy rounds at random.
It really does work and is a proven training system for several internationally recognized coaches I know- or knew.
Cat
Old 11-24-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Get a buddy to load for you, with some dummy rounds at random.
It really does work and is a proven training system for several internationally recognized coaches I know- or knew.
Cat
I think I will try it