Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Default Want to borrow my horse?

Hey guys i thought I would post this up and see if there are nay ideas out there. My Dad is leaving the country for 3 years and has 7 horses. He is talking about selling them or taking them to the meat factory as he won't be around to feed them. I thought if anyone would want to borrow some horses for their sheep hunting and had some land they would be able to feed them with then it may be an idea and my dad could keep his horses as they all work well together. Just thought I would throw it out there as an idea and see if anyone might be interested
Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM

Hope ya find a place for them critters nube. Hate to see em go to Fort MacLeod. My father took truck loads there. Sad.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 PM

Ya me too. They work good as a team and that would be last resort. They are not highly trained horses but they get to go to the mountains on a couple trips a year. We only keep them for a sheep hut or 2 in a season and they don't get rode much the rest of the year. Lucky lifestyle they have. No use feeding them if you are not going to use them Me thinks though
Old 12-23-2009, 03:37 PM

Dang you got to take em nube.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Crap seven of them, I'm having a hard time sneaking one more by the Bride.
PM sent.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM

I know you want to keep them as a group, but as a last resort if you find that this is not possible I may be able to help. I board my horse across from a kind rancher that has a soft spot for horses. He buys a few each year from the auction that he thinks can be usable. Some of them he trains himself and others he lets us work with. He has quite a bit of land to put them on, so that would not be an issue. I think if he takes them in and feeds them he would not want to just give them back to you, though. I'm sure he would let you take them for hunting for how ever long you needed them.

If that option didn't work out... I am looking for a nice loud colored appaloosa for my husband to ride. If any of this might interest you please send me a pm and I will get you the rancher's number. I would hate to see more horses going down to the plant if they are good, sound usable equines.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Hey Nube, where are the horses at now?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Might be able to help you out on that one!
Can you tell me anything about them? Are any or all of them saddle broke?
Merry Christmas
Rob

Old 12-23-2009, 04:59 PM

They are near Tofield right now. We have to figure things out before June so I have some time. I thought i would check to see if someone had acces to some land that i could keep them on and if they wanted to use them to feel free to them. i won't use them as I don't have time to sheep hunt much and the places I do go I walk into. They are not great tame horses and not good for kids but like I said before they all go to the mountains and have been on quite a few adventures. They just don't get a lot of riding the rest of the year is all. I am not going to give them away and I do want them back but for the guy our there with access to some land that always wanted some horsses to hunt with I thought it wwas a possibility to work something out by chance.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Ya me too. They work good as a team and that would be last resort. They are not highly trained horses but they get to go to the mountains on a couple trips a year. We only keep them for a sheep hut or 2 in a season and they don't get rode much the rest of the year. Lucky lifestyle they have. No use feeding them if you are not going to use them Me thinks though
So, they're a team, broke to drive? Always bugs me, when good horses end up the Ft. Mc Leod route

Grizz
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 PM

Well if no one will take em nube your better off to sell them Ya say the are pretty much green so they ain't worth much. Costs may out weigh heart. Hope ya find a home for them.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Yes, you are right they are not worth much and I would rather sell them before I decide to take them to the slaughter house. Another problem is that they were also bred and who knows how many will be later on. Too bad in a way but things came up rather sudden and it would be nice to keep them around esspecially if someone wanted horses to use for free and had some pasture land so it wouldn't cost anything to feed them. I am sure we will figure it out. Maybe I will hit it rich and buy a quarter or 2 soon enough after I win the loto coming up this month.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Last horse sale in Bonnyville broke horses were selling for under $500, meat horses were under $100. Hopefully you can find someone to borrow them cause they aren't worth anything.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 PM

you gotta be kidding? good horses for dog meat? someone better take them soon, i wish i lived at the cabin year round or id take the whole lot. ft mac blows arse some days.......and in a good life theres no such thing as a friggen "meat horse"
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 PM

had to comment again, i guess i turn a huge blind eye to what happens to horses , but its friggen gross. i grew up with horses being even with a good hunting dog and somedays far better. this is a friggen gross conversation and really is starting to turn my stomach. i really hope you get a home for them.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
you gotta be kidding? good horses for dog meat? someone better take them soon, i wish i lived at the cabin year round or id take the whole lot. ft mac blows arse some days.......and in a good life theres no such thing as a friggen "meat horse"
The fact remains jaylow its reality. Most horse meat is exported to foreign markets for human consumption not dog food. What do ya do with unwanted horses? I ain't talkng about a few here but hundreds. Ain't to many options.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-24-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylow? View Post
Maybe people should just let them go like they are doing in the States because they have no place to market them anymore because people think like you do.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Maybe people should just let them go like they are doing in the States because they have no place to market them anymore because people think like you do.

well i dont think people should just let them go. and im no animal right activist here, i just see eating a horse a lot like eating a dog.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
WRONG. We don't need any more feral horses running around out there, for Henderson to lay claim to. Furthermore, you'd probably just doom them to a slow death, from starvation, predation, or agression, by feral stalions.

Grizz
Old 12-24-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
WRONG. We don't need any more feral horses running around out there, for Henderson to lay claim to. Furthermore, you'd probably just doom them to a slow death, from starvation, predation, or agression, by feral stalions.

Grizz
Think redneck was talking bout the shut down of horse processing south of 49 due to government restrictions, Think they all go to Saskabush now. Yup we take there horses but they don't take our beef. Go figure. Its just money.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-24-2009, 07:26 PM

The shut down of horse slaughter houses in the State started just after the 1971 legislation that was passed to protect wild horses and burros. Now they find themselfs knee deep in unwanted horses.