Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2012, 10:48 PM

Kenetreks for me...love mine.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans;
Then had them send me a half size bigger and never regretted it. No more hurting toes
THAT right there is some top shelf advice!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM
sheephunter

Nice to see some of the stores finally carrying a better selection of Lowa boots. Wholesale seems to go through them pretty quickly though.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Just picked up a pair of these:

http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa/product...EERING/p_88004

Something about a traditional Suede boot with a good sole that I like. Yes - they take time to maintain, but in my opinion some of the gore-tex upper/rubber lower boots can't take the abuse.

My hunting boots need to double as Mountaineering boots. Crampon combatibility is a must, plus once you get used to a super stiff boot you never go back!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 PM

Kentreks are what I'm using now. They seem like pretty solid boots to me.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 06-11-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Dont drag your feet....problem solved lol
Or you could do what you did and just go on one or 2 hunts for a ram before you get one. Hard to wear them boots down then!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I ruined two pair of Kenetreks last season in the mountains. I wearing Lowa this year.
love my lowa gtx hunters (i think that is the name of model, memory fading?), the tread is very shallow now and looks like it was attacked by a pack of rabid rats and then dipped in acid...chewed and rounded etc. and the leather has seen better days but its great shape compared to the sole, i still love the crap out of these boots, i'm a part timer compared to you and sheep likely so its taken me a few seasons to get close to killing these boots but really the rest of the boot is still minty, just the vibram sole will likely be toast after this next season....g-tec leather conditioner twice to 3 times a year is what i've done for the upper

easily need 1/2 if not full size bigger in the gtx hunter i found, insulation i suspect
Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just lucky View Post
Or you could do what you did and just go on one or 2 hunts for a ram before you get one. Hard to wear them boots down then!
jerk
Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
love my lowa gtx hunters (i think that is the name of model, memory fading?), the tread is very shallow now and looks like it was attacked by a pack of rabid rats and then dipped in acid...chewed and rounded etc. and the leather has seen better days but its great shape compared to the sole, i still love the crap out of these boots, i'm a part timer compared to you and sheep likely so its taken me a few seasons to get close to killing these boots but really the rest of the boot is still minty, just the vibram sole will likely be toast after this next season....g-tec leather conditioner twice to 3 times a year is what i've done for the upper

easily need 1/2 if not full size bigger in the gtx hunter i found, insulation i suspect
It might be worth resoling your boots. I had a pair resoled this winter and they seem to be hanging in there so far.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 AM
Banned

Gronell Klondike II. Classics! All leather, traditional design. Second season in, next pair will be the same model, but likely I will resole this pair.

Last edited by V_1; 06-12-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
jerk
i meant to the guy who only went on 1 or 2 hunts and got his ram of course
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the danner pronghorns?
Awesome for upland hunting! Would not stand up to mtn hunting.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Hanwags and meindels for me. Resoled the meindels with reasonable success, but the stitching on the uppers started failing shortly after, so prob wouldn't bother resoling again. They both trash my feet after long hunts, but I switch back and forth from hunt to hunt so I don't trash the same spots. Spread out the pain a bit. I can count on having a numb big toe for 6 months after a sheep hunt. Not sure why, it's not hitting the end of the boot.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 PM

JUst got a pair of Kenetreks this year the mountaineer 400's and I am excited about using them this year for sheep hunting. Have used Hanwags Alaskans and loved them but got these for about 100 dollars cheaper ($270) and excited .
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM

Scarpa. Mine have at least a thousand miles on them and look like they will go another year before they need re-soling. They are a very stiff boot and a bit heavy but they are serving me well. I like leather boots and wood stocks! Leeper
Old 06-14-2012, 08:08 AM

Just bought a pair of HanWag alaskans yesterday. Seems like a similar design as my old Meidls but the salesman told be they fit more people than the meidls will. I was going to look at Kenetreks but the store in Beaumont will not answer the phone. Gonna have to start breaking them in.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Kenetrek montain extreme boots. Held up for three seasons already. But they have a new boot I want to look at when it comes out this summer.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Rubber Boots.............
Old 06-14-2012, 03:58 PM

rubber boots and a thick footbed with helly hanson socks.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC HUNTER View Post
Awesome for upland hunting! Would not stand up to mtn hunting.
did some more research and that's what i found out. picking up a pair of hanwags in a couple days
Old 06-19-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Meindels Alaska hikers with IQ fit.
I'm heading up on a sheep hunt in August and wanted to check out some Meindels? Are there any dealers in Calgary? I tried searching the Meindels website for dealers but it didn't work.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM

I have Kenetreks , i believe the Mountain extreme model. They are very comfortable but first trip out the rubber moulding around the outside started peeling off, beginning at the toe first . I contacted the rep and he told me to have them repaired and they would pay for the repair, i said BS they were brand new and they would not stand behind them.
After repairing them they are continuing to delaminate more again around this rubber membrane.
I saw Ricardo i believe his name is at Huntfest last year and he gave me a container of 12 dollar boot wax to make me happy. I think their customer service stinks and i will go back to Lowa's again. When you spend $450 on boots they should last a very long time.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Hanwags