Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Default Sheep hunting boots what are you using?

Just wondering what sheep and moutain hunters are using. I have been wearing out a new pair of good boots once a year and was wondering if any other members are having the same experience or have been getting really good life out of their boots. The wife thinks they should be lasting longer but I keep telling her thats just how it goes when you do lots of hiking in the mountains. Help me get out of the doghouse!!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
sheephunter

Typically two years for me. Lowa Tibet GTX
Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Meindels Alaska hikers with IQ fit.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Thanks, I've been wearing Hanwags and I tried getting them resoled but they started coming apart after the first walk. I end up wearing the toe and front of the sole down to nothing on the original sole. Are they a thicker sole or do you expect the same wear in your opinion.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM

Hanwags.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Thanks, I've been wearing Hanwags and I tried getting them resoled but they started coming apart after the first walk. I end up wearing the toe and front of the sole down to nothing on the original sole. Are they a thicker sole or do you expect the same wear in your opinion.
Dont drag your feet....problem solved lol
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 PM

hanwags
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 PM

I use an Asolo brand mountaineering type boot I don't remember the name but it is similar to the higher end model boots they have on their webpage. I have had them for 4 years and they have held up well, very well considering the amount of scree i have descended over the years. They have a hard rubber coating all around the bottom of the boot which I think helps them not to get all torn up. Best of all never had a blister, in fact I never broke them in. I purchased them and the first outing with them I was sheep hunting. Probably the most comfortable boot I have owned!

Last edited by hardy; 01-05-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Default boots

Meindel
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Meindels Alaska hikers with IQ fit.
Are these as good as the reviews? I've been looking at these for my next pair.

bdub, currently using Asolo Power Matic 200GV. Like them, but definitely took some breaking in. Holding up well and I have worn them for 2 seasons.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:57 PM

I use asolo boots. Had them 2 seasons and no wear issues, just find they have a very hard insole. Gonna be putting a nice pair of gel insoles into them for next year.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Yeah Drake the wife usually complains as well that I drag my feet when there is stuff she wants done!!!!! I had a Pair of Asolos a few years back as well and really liked them. I switched to Hanwags after a tried on a pair of a friends. We were in Ft. St. John at the time and it was hard to get boots so I ordered them out of Edmonton. I have gone through four pairs now, the tops are still in great shape but the bottoms go. If the soles are about the same thickness maybe you only can get so much out of any brand?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Anybody ever had any luck getting boots resoled?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Hanwags
Old 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Anybody ever had any luck getting boots resoled?
Yep (Lowa Tibet), at Alpine Boots in Kensington in Calgary.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=89261
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Are these as good as the reviews? I've been looking at these for my next pair.

bdub, currently using Asolo Power Matic 200GV. Like them, but definitely took some breaking in. Holding up well and I have worn them for 2 seasons.
They are Awesome! I'm hard on equipment and these things haven't torn split leaked or anything. The only thing is I have high arches so I needed a different insole. But I do for every boot I wear.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 PM

I used to use Hanwags but found after several yeaars of use I would start getting blisters on my heels. I now use redwing hiking boots and for me the fit is perfect.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM

i use kenetrek mountain guides. they are an amazing boot, and out preform the meindl and danners i have had in the past.....
Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 PM

Up until I got a new job a couple months ago I would go through a set of boots every six months. Worn right out, all the ankle support gone, tread rounded into nubbies and the inner liner of the boot worn through, boots just aren't made to support 260 pounds plus 30 pounds of gear daily. The best boots are what fit your feet well. I have had kenetrek, scarpa, asolo, miendle, raichle, zamberland, koflak, Lowa, viberg, white and solomin.

The best boots I had were Lowa's either tibet gtx or crystalo gtx and scarpa cerra torre (discontinued long ago) fit me well and lasted a bit better than the rest. The worst were the meindle canada bought from cabelas in the US, they were floppy within a week, and fell apart after about two weeks. The model the cabelas sells is a discount version made specially for them, not the same as the $500 boots sold up here.

Here was my old office:

Wearing my Lowa tibets:
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 PM

Default Hanwags

Hanwag Alaskan GTX with GoreTex. I've never worn another boot because I haven't needed to.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Default Lowas

Currently into a great pair of Lowa that I wear day-in and day-out. I wear them at work, for upland, elk (and for me that means right up along the rocks in the early season), and everything in between. These could possibly be the most comfortable, easiest break-in pair that I have ever purchased.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Kenetrek, the price is higher but they last and they are the best boot i have ever used.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Lowa Tibet's here aswell. 3rd season with them and still lots of boot left, granted, I may not do much more than 25-30 days in them a year.

Only complaint I have with them is that they haven't got me onto a legal ram yet!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM

Default boots

for the last 5 yrs i have been using North Face Rundle Peak boots for early season (get 2 yrs per set) many guys will laugh becasue they are only $90 boots but they have been on 2 goat, 1 stone sheep, 8 bighorn and numerous other Mule Deer and Elk hunts without fail. I have had multiple pairs of $400 boots and the North Face just seem to work best for me...that said boots are like packs, everyone likes different ones.

I tried all the other big name boots but I really hate heavy boots and these fit my feet well. They also have ZERO insulation or Gortex which I like as well for early season because you can just use different thickness socks to regulate your temp and with no gortex I don't have to worry about having wet feet the whole trip . that may sound backwards but the problem with gortex is that if and when your boots do get wet they stay wet forever because the goretex locks the moisture in and wont dry out.

For later season i use Danner Canadians and they have been good so far, I will be switching to Kenetrex Grizzlies this year though for late season stuff, need a bit more warmth and i like being able to change out the liners so you always have dry boots in the morning.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM

I've been using hanwags since 1999 and will be purchasing my 4th pair this spring.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I've been using hanwags since 1999 and will be purchasing my 4th pair this spring.
Which model?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:08 PM

while unconventional in look these boots have gotten great reviews from guys on another forum. A plastic shell may be the only option for the durability you require.

http://www.koflach.com/en/parsepage.php?tpl=tpl_index
Old 01-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Hey Drake I did have a pair of hard shell Koflachs quite a long time ago. I remember them as being very hard to break in and noisey as well. They may be a lot better now.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM

ive found matterhorn boots very hardwearing
Old 01-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Which model?
Alaska GTX