Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-05-2012, 03:40 PM

Default Coyote Calling Igits

What can I say but I knew this would be a result of allowing electronic calls on Alberta!!!!!!
I've been calling coyotes here since being introduced to calling by an American in 1968. Mostly with home made calls and then in the 1990's few store bought calls. And when the laws changed to being ably to use electronics, I was in the US on vacation I just had to have a Foxpro.
Ive and a couple of friends hunt yotes hard every winter and have gotten as many as 300 in previous of winters. Ive noticed that the last couple of years the dogs were getting harder to call and this winter Ive only gotten about 40 which is poor and some of them were gotten over baits which Ive started to do this year.
I wondered about coyotes getting call shy or call smart but wasn't sure until today......
I was out checking various locations for wind direction and activity and ran into not one but 2 different trucks of hunters attempting to call coyotes. I saw the first truck this morning coming up a dead end road and could hear what I thought was a very noisy bearing or universal getting closer, when they got real close I couldn't believe what they were doing....Two gentlemen in the truck driving roads slowly with 2 young kids holding speakers on the roof of the truck blasting various calling sounds .....
They stopped by me and asked if I had seen any dogs around when I started to laugh and told him "Not anymore" he explained he had bough this calling equipment a month ago and was out west and north of the city for the last 3 weekends and now out this way yesterday and today and had yet to see a coyote. He wondered why people were saying there is so many coyotes this fall and how they had all disappeared....I told him I had to go and was in a hurry and left them hunt....
On the way home I thought Id check a couple of neighbors places out that I knew were good. When I got to the first place there was a truck parked in the gate going into his field and I pulled over to have a look and there was 2 guys sitting dressed in white about 200 yds out in the stubble, sitting and calling with a foxpro and they were directly up wind of the bush about 120 yard any coyote knew they were there before they got to calling.
I think I know now why I'm having a harder time calling in yotes.
I was so happy when we could use electronics and now Im kinda sorry we can, before electronics not a lot of guys would go out and work with a hand call and the yotes were less educated.
SST
Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM

with or without e-callers, there will be idiots
Old 02-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
This.^^^^

I don't think it makes a difference whether a guy uses an electric caller or a mouth call.

Is it even that much easier with an e-caller? I was out calling an hour or so ago and wondering if it'd make any difference if I went out and bought an electronic one.

I kinda like the hand call, it's part of the whole routine for me. It just wouldn't be the same if my upper lip wasn't tingling and numb from buzzin away on my calls.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
x2 and dont forget there was no shortage of people using them before they were legal. They were legal to buy but not use, and im sure nobody was buying them to study their calling sounds LOL.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Tom, what you are experiencing is the same thing basically as what happened when they allowed baiting of bears.

Things were made much easier, so those that otherwise would not consider hunting bears before, decided it was an easy proposition, set up a bait and wait.
Same as electronic calls - too much work to learn how to use a mouth call, but the electronics make it seem very easy .

However, many hunters forget ( or do not realize)that there are many other things involved in any type of hunting than just baiting or calls, and the results are what you experienced
The coyotes catch on real fast, be it to baiting, calls or whatever, and they will quit responding if one pressures them too much.

I have heard as well,that in heavily hunted areas where calling is continual, that elk will often not respond to the bugles and such.

Cat
Old 02-05-2012, 04:41 PM

I went out this morning and as I passed by a field I have permission on that I decided to give a break from calling there was a truck driving through the feild that I never drive in!!!
I often wonder who is in the feild on days when im not there...maybe they had permission....The sport of coyote hunting has exploded in the last few years!!!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:40 PM

Get out and find new land. If you hunt around any major centers where every tom dick and harry call then yes it might be tough.

Where I go I have never seen another coyote hunter. I see dogs 100% of the time I go out. I kill dogs probably 90% of the time I go out.

With the no snow we have this year guys can drive everywhere. Wait till there is snow up to your ***** and -30 then you see who the real hunters are. Once it gets to invole some effort and some cold weather all the lazy/soft bastards just stay home. Which I like.

I call with an e-caller probbaly 75% of the time and have no problem getting dogs in. I use mouth calls the odd time to switch it up.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:02 PM

I'm thinking that the popularity of predator hunting programs on tv might have more to do with the rise in coyote hunter numbers than e-callers. As hunter numbers rise and success rates drop I'm sure that the fad will pass.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Banned

Bring on the competion, more the merrier, one of the funnest types of hunting available IMO and in the end a good thing for big game too.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:48 PM

I have tried ecallers with no luck went out this morning and we took three with mouth calls. With the Grande Prairie predator derby next weekend it will be interesting to see at the end of the day what it working for who.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 PM

minus 30...sure...right....
your not a lazy bastard if your not hunting when it's 30 below...i would call you smart...
the weather is absolutely beautiful....first couple of sets this weekend,no dogs...
3rd try, a fox & a couple of yotes in the evening...i would rather hunt in the plus range of weather then minus 30...
Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 PM

I can't wait for the next -30 or lower cold snap! Those dogs come running hard to my ruffy dawg call, long after the fox pro freezes up. January has always been my favorite month for coyotes.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. View Post
I can't wait for the next -30 or lower cold snap! Those dogs come running hard to my ruffy dawg call, long after the fox pro freezes up. January has always been my favorite month for coyotes.
X2 .. cold and snow is the way to go ..
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejay7320 View Post
minus 30...sure...right....
your not a lazy bastard if your not hunting when it's 30 below...i would call you smart...
the weather is absolutely beautiful....first couple of sets this weekend,no dogs...
3rd try, a fox & a couple of yotes in the evening...i would rather hunt in the plus range of weather then minus 30...

then you are not serious about yotes, so dont whine if they are not coming to the call.

-30 and snow makes the hunt waaayyy more exciting!
Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. View Post
A hungry coyote is easier to kill than an overfed one. Present weather isn't exactly conducive to calling coyotes or wolves.

Grizz
Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 PM

the coyotes here in the north of the province don't seem to mind balmy days to come to a call...30 below or 5 above they don't mind...so i'll take the balmy days to hunt them....have fun when it's 30 below...serious hunter...
Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
A hungry coyote is easier to kill than an overfed one. Present weather isn't exactly conducive to calling coyotes or wolves.

Grizz
You said it......
Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Banned

Call coyotes all year long, Thanksgiving monday while everyone else was eatin turkey, me and my cousin called in and killed 4 dogs on one stand in under ten minutes. You can call dogs in any weather temp, you just gotta know where there at. Calling where you THINK they are and actually KNOWING where they are is all in the scouting and knowledge of an area. When you start entering competitions you will spend hours scouting and locating coyotes, just settin up where you think is a good spot without pre scouting dont work. Those who work hard at it are the most succesful. Not tootin my horn sayin im a expert, still learn from every stand we do, and if you think you know it all there will be coyotes out there that will still outsmart ya.