Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 08:15 PM

Default Mountain hiking/hunting pants

What's everyone recommend or are using for pants for hiking in the mountains or hunting sheep. I'm looking at some Sitka or kuiu pants. Something fairly quick drying and somewhat light and warm. Just looking for other options than the standard carhartt or blue jeans.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
What's everyone recommend or are using for pants for hiking in the mountains or hunting sheep. I'm looking at some Sitka or kuiu pants. Something fairly quick drying and somewhat light and warm. Just looking for other options than the standard carhartt or blue jeans.
I like Scheoller fabric pants. Thick, tough, softshell, warm, shed snow. I have 2 pairs of MEC and one pair of Marmot. Mountain Hardware, Black Diamond and others use this fabric. Mine are either beige or grey.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:46 PM

511 tactical stryke pants, or Apex if it's real hot.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 PM

I like the ascent pants from Eddy Bauer. They often have them on sale for 40% off.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 PM

I have found most of the lightweight synthetic "hiking" pants from all major brands to be pretty comparable to eachother.

Currently have two North Face, one Eddie Bauer, two Outdoor research, and one Marmot branded pair. All work basically the same, I have mostly moved away from the zip off leg version now (never found myself using the feature enough). I'm sure there are many more brands that will function much the same as well (a major consideration is which is on sale).
Old 02-13-2019, 12:35 AM
Banned

Definitely recommend the 5.11 TacLite Pro Pant for hunting pants.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
I like Scheoller fabric pants. Thick, tough, softshell, warm, shed snow. I have 2 pairs of MEC and one pair of Marmot. Mountain Hardware, Black Diamond and others use this fabric. Mine are either beige or grey.
I have a giant MEC by my house in Calgary now and I need new hiking boots, however their support of anti-hunting groups and anti-oil/gas groups means I will never ever step in any of their stores or wear anything that comes from there.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
I like the ascent pants from Eddy Bauer. They often have them on sale for 40% off.
X2
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I have a giant MEC by my house in Calgary now and I need new hiking boots, however their support of anti-hunting groups and anti-oil/gas groups means I will never ever step in any of their stores or wear anything that comes from there.
It is not so much the brand as the fabric:

https://www.schoeller-textiles.com/en/textiles/outdoor

Schoeller is a Swiss fabric manufacturer and, like Gore-Tex, their fabric is used by many brands. There are likely other comparable fabrics out there, but Schoeller is a good example of what makes a premium softshell fabric kick butt. Think Carhart durability that feels like yoga pants.

You can always buy a pair from MEC and wear them around the house, then return them. That way you can see if you like the feel of the fabric and also add to their overhead costs.