Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Geese are smarter than me

Hi,

Fairly new member, looking for some insight into geese hunting. I have been duck hunting for the last 5 years and can knock down ducks fairly regular. But have no luck when it comes to geese. Where I hunt it is mostly pass shooting, mostly ducks but enough geese to keep me interested. I have cover hiding in the reeds and covering myself, making sure I don't look up. The geese are lining up on me for a shot, but at the last minute they flare off. I can't figure out what they might be seeing. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 PM

If they are pressured geese they will flare from obvious hiding spots.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM

Never thought of that. Forgot to think about of all the different setups that have already seen.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Smile Goose hunting on the roost.

In the west, this is frowned on because it can drive the geese out of the country.

You are ready for the next step, you need hunting buddies and try to set up for a field shoot.

I'm passing on the following tips because the men who told them to me are all gone and I'll follow soon. (Not imminent, I'm 73)

1. Find out where they are landing and be there tomorrow in the dark
2. Wind will do more for you than anything else.
3. Geese always land up wind EXCEPT when the stubble is long.
4. They can see movement, don't move
5. If you have a big spread you need more guys calling.
6. You'll need a dog to find the cripples
7. Obey the gun captain, (see point 4)

Have fun, you can get very good at this.

I remember when we dug pits with 1/2 stick of 60% forcite out near Hanna.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 PM

Thank you, I know I am not on the roost. I haven't found out where that is yet. Lol. I have found the fields they land in, problem is it's a grass sod farm so it's a no go. Reading what you guys have said and thinking about what I do, I believe I am over anxious and need to wait that extra second longer for them.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:34 PM

Default Like a magician, slight of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorRed View Post
Hi,

Fairly new member, looking for some insight into geese hunting. I have been duck hunting for the last 5 years and can knock down ducks fairly regular. But have no luck when it comes to geese. Where I hunt it is mostly pass shooting, mostly ducks but enough geese to keep me interested. I have cover hiding in the reeds and covering myself, making sure I don't look up. The geese are lining up on me for a shot, but at the last minute they flare off. I can't figure out what they might be seeing. Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you.
Buy three floater decoys and set them in the edge of the pond a bit to your left if your right handed or vice versa if your left handed. The attention of the geese will be more often focused on the decoys.
We added three floaters to our duck pond sets and have killed many doubles and singles no goose call required.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:09 PM

I do have some floaters, i will have to give that a try this year.

Much appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 03:15 PM

Do you wear glasses? On a goose hunt we were having the same problem you are describing. I walked out to pick a cripple goose,and when I looked back at my hunting partner, his glasses were flashing like two spot lights. After he removed them the geese came right to our decoy spread.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 PM

Smile More tips from hunters long gone.

The one about wearing glasses is right on, wear a hat with a peak and keep your head down.

When you get up to shoot, don't pick the bird closest to you, he will be dodging around, pick one back in the flock, it will fly straight because he thinks he is safe.

If they are coming straight at you show yourself to make them commit to one side or the other then swing on the head.

And finally the best advice and I hope it is passed on in the brotherhood of hunters. The authour was Cam McKay from Winnipeg and was the best shot I've ever seen. 3 geese at a time was par for the course for Cam. He was a giant of a man, 6'6" red haired and about 300 lbs. He always shot a model 12 Winchester full choke (no vent ribs in those days) he used #4 Imperials for everything because they patterned great in his gun and he liked the MV, I think it was 1340 fps.

Final tip;
"You are always welcome on a goose hunt if you bring a shovel and your own lunch" Cam RIP