Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 04:15 PM

Default Gun Bearer

Hi all,

Considering a Kiafru Universal Gun Bearer for the upcoming season.
Who has one? Pros and cons?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Banned

Good system
Spend the 40$
Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 PM

One of the best pieces of gear I have. Worth the money.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:16 PM

What type of hunting are you planning on doing? I've tried the gun bearer for sheep hunting and I just couldn't get used to it when navigating steeper rock sprees and such. I didn't like my rifle coming up under my arm or the barrel occasionally being in my line of sight. I also tried mounting a scabbard, though I liked it better in snowy weather carrying my rifle upside down tended to allow my action to freeze. I now use a homemade system to mount my rifle to my pack and allows me to retrieve it quickly and without removing my pack.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM

I like them. Initially they take a little adjusting to get it tight under the arm with no swing in the rifle, the scope not rubbing a buckle on the shoulder strap and the whole system not snagging on my bipod when I release it but the setup only takes a minute or two when I change rifles or fit it on my pack. After that I much prefer it to any other way of carrying a rifle.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned

It works best with a light rifle, 24" barrel or shorter without a bipod and no sling. IMO
Old 07-22-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
What type of hunting are you planning on doing? I've tried the gun bearer for sheep hunting and I just couldn't get used to it when navigating steeper rock sprees and such. I didn't like my rifle coming up under my arm or the barrel occasionally being in my line of sight. I also tried mounting a scabbard, though I liked it better in snowy weather carrying my rifle upside down tended to allow my action to freeze. I now use a homemade system to mount my rifle to my pack and allows me to retrieve it quickly and without removing my pack.
Im not a mountain hunter...not yet!
Im usually in the foothills chasing deer and elk. I have recently come to appreciate carrying a pack everywhere I hunt, so as a result I despise the rifle sling constantly sliding off. Grrr!

My hunting rifles are fitted with bipods and 24-26" barrels.
Ive tried scabbards but the rifle doesnt ride in the scabbard all the time so Im still left dealing with a rifle sling. Would like to do away with the sling all together.

Do you have any pics of your home made system?
Old 07-22-2017, 06:54 AM

Pretty basic, just strap around the pistol grip mounted to the p.a.l.s matrix on the pack. Then slip the barrel through an upper strap. I just reach back unclip the buckle and the rifle slides down and into my hands. I made a cover as well out of some 500 cordura I ordered on line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk