Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Default Lake Whitefish Tips?

Fishing Badger Saturday morning in the inlet for Whitefish.

Have taken a few here in the past while targeting pike, but hope to focus strictly on Whitefish this trip. Never had the appropriate tackle/bait with me on previous trips. I be a Whitefish Newbie

Plan is Red Wire Worms and worms/maggots under a slip bobber.

Is the plan solid? Tips for depth? Bait other than stated?

Last edited by omega50; 07-20-2017 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:13 PM

red wire worms under a slip bobber sound good to me. maybe a small lens Thompson five of diamonds spoon. haven't fished badger for whites though so i don't know what depth for u to fish in. good luck
Old 07-20-2017, 06:12 PM

In this heat I would think they will be deep. They are a cold water species.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
In this heat I would think they will be deep. They are a cold water species.
As for food, forage, would you think they would be come into the weedy shallow areas morning and night??

I keep reading about the slip bobber method but that might not be effective in deep water - ie by the time you react to a nibble and pull that line and hook set, they may already have spit the hook???

And I thought Speckles on here catches them in flys.....though that may be colder mountain fed lakes????
Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
As for food, forage, would you think they would be come into the weedy shallow areas morning and night??

I keep reading about the slip bobber method but that might not be effective in deep water - ie by the time you react to a nibble and pull that line and hook set, they may already have spit the hook???

And I thought Speckles on here catches them in flys.....though that may be colder mountain fed lakes????
I catch them in the irrigation lakes, early spring was best, but the lakes are closed at that time of year now. Fished shallow and as the season wore on they slid deeper, and fed more morning and evening. I have never fished them this late other than in the fall again.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 PM

wanted to post this last week,, caught two at keho on white wire worm about 20 inches below stick float. they were also slamming mosquitos and I mean becoming airborne.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:09 PM

If you are fishing deeper, a slip bobber or indicator is important. Yes, many times they take light but you will get good at detecting this and hitting it right. Takes practice like anything else.

Red is good, copper should be another go to and then maybe consider small and black (as in chironomid)

If you are fishing shallow and sight fishing then the indicator is optional.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM

Whitefish were no where to be found as predicted by some in relation to water temps.

Catch and release Pike were def turned on but Hammer Handles were the norm

Circled the lake and only saw 1 other group of 2 guys shore fishing and 1 boat.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 PM

Another summer strategy for lake whites is if you are fishing deeper water try deep jigging a silver 1 to 2 inch castmaster spoon. Try jigging with long jig action. 3 foot strokes. The whites will pick the castmaster up on the fall. You'll know on the next upstroke.

Oddly enough, when the whites have been close to the surface on open water I have caught a couple big whites trolling a 2 to 4 inch floating rapala.(Trolling in a canoe so the speed varies to the stroke of the paddle) The rapalas only dive 2 or 3 feet when trolling. Discovered this when I was trolling at Fickle lake. Trolling for walleye or pike with a 4 inch rapala an 7 lb. white hit the rapala.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Default Jigging a Kastmaster under a Slip bobber!!!

This is what worked at Wabamun, and at Lac St. Anne in August.

Small gold Kastmaster on a sandy bottom. Set the depth on the Slip Bobber so it is about 1 foot or so off bottom.

It has to be a sunny windy day, or at least that seems to work best.

Cast, let the bobber "stand straight", give it a good yank of a few feet, and let the line go slack. wait for the slip bob to stand up straight again.

Now you have a fluttering action through a few feet of the water column. Big whites often feed on minnows, and that is why they hit.

Drewski
Old 07-24-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
This is what worked at Wabamun, and at Lac St. Anne in August.

Small gold Kastmaster on a sandy bottom. Set the depth on the Slip Bobber so it is about 1 foot or so off bottom.

It has to be a sunny windy day, or at least that seems to work best.

Cast, let the bobber "stand straight", give it a good yank of a few feet, and let the line go slack. wait for the slip bob to stand up straight again.

Now you have a fluttering action through a few feet of the water column. Big whites often feed on minnows, and that is why they hit.

Drewski
What was the depth you were fishing in if you're ok with that? Was wondering if this might work in pigeon or buck lake.
Thx
WDF
Old 07-25-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
What was the depth you were fishing in if you're ok with that? Was wondering if this might work in pigeon or buck lake.
Thx
WDF
Not commenting for Drewski but would say the method would work on Pigeon and Buck. Buck is a hard place to catch whites the best of times. NE side of the lake near buck mountain is supposed to be the area to go. Buck has some brutes if you can connect. The Alberta record comes from south Buck at almost 12 pounds. That would be a good tug.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 AM

I would add a dropper of some sort to the spoon as a matter of habit a wire worm or a fly of some sort

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 07-25-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Not commenting for Drewski but would say the method would work on Pigeon and Buck. Buck is a hard place to catch whites the best of times. NE side of the lake near buck mountain is supposed to be the area to go. Buck has some brutes if you can connect. The Alberta record comes from south Buck at almost 12 pounds. That would be a good tug.
Thx Red
WDF