Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2017, 07:19 AM

Default Gas / Propane

Hear Propane is cheaper ?

ie: no goofy fees, admin fees etc , which have to be added into the gas costs.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 AM

I was told by the propanator at Costco that even with their rediculously low price they still make 15 cents a litre. An acreage owner I met filling tanks there said it was much cheaper for him to fill 100lb propane tanks and invert them to fill his ”pig" than having a bulk propane company come out and fill it with a truck.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Gas gas gas. Been there rode that train. Propane is never the cheaper option.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Not clear if you are asking for automotive propane or heating your home. Propane was quite cheap few years back when they reversed Cochin pipeline to bring condensate to Alberta. However my favorite corner store is now charging $25 to fill 20lb tank so now cost gone way up for auto and heating buildings.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 AM

You obviously have not discovered Costco yet. Could pretty much fill 3 30 lb tanks for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Not clear if you are asking for automotive propane or heating your home. Propane was quite cheap few years back when they reversed Cochin pipeline to bring condensate to Alberta. However my favorite corner store is now charging $25 to fill 20lb tank so now cost gone way up for auto and heating buildings.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
Gas gas gas. Been there rode that train. Propane is never the cheaper option.
X2
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM

It costs me about $500 dollars a year for propane to heat my house and hot water. I do have a wood stove that I use. If I were to use gas the delivery charges alone would be more expensive than the propane.

The trick to propane is to buy it in the spring or summer if one is filling a big tank.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
You obviously have not discovered Costco yet. Could pretty much fill 3 30 lb tanks for that price.
Your bang on. Costco is the cheapest by far.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM

House, hot water & shop.

Too late..... installed.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:10 PM

Been on propane 7 years, no regrets, no BS fees. I also burn wood, I can look at the gauge on the tank and I know I am paying for what I use and no fees. just filled tank yesterday for .32/litre, will last till Christmas. Drove me nuts when I was in Red Deer, burning wood to heat the house, furnace turned off most of the winter and still huge gas bills with BS fees and being billed for gas I DID NOT USE!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Been on propane 7 years, no regrets, no BS fees. I also burn wood, I can look at the gauge on the tank and I know I am paying for what I use and no fees. just filled tank yesterday for .32/litre, will last till Christmas. Drove me nuts when I was in Red Deer, burning wood to heat the house, furnace turned off most of the winter and still huge gas bills with BS fees and being billed for gas I DID NOT USE!
exactly

i heat my house and my water with only propane and i fill my tank twice a year. it cost me a touch over $800 last year.

if i ever install my wood stove i bet i could cut that in half
Old 07-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

Propane

Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 PM
Banned

Dynamite !!!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:14 PM

used to have propane it was right by the house so it stayed warm. wouldn't recommend it though. neighbors would gel off below -40. right when you need heat the most you lose it. then all the water pipes freeze. not a fun situation.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:26 PM

I heat with propane. Here in bc propane is double the cost I used to pay in Alberta. My last house cost me average of 100 a month. More in winter less in summer and that was heating 2500 sq ft. I always liked the idea of paying for what you get and not all the additional charges.
never had any issues with cold weather.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman93 View Post
used to have propane it was right by the house so it stayed warm. wouldn't recommend it though. neighbors would gel off below -40. right when you need heat the most you lose it. then all the water pipes freeze. not a fun situation.

At -39c I think you can pack propane in a pail like water. Wonder if a heat tape under tank would do enough in extreme cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM

I have been assured the big tank I have will not freeze off.

Guess I'll find out !

I've seen well shacks using Propane as well. Don't see them having troubles & they have small tanks......
Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 AM

Do the propane companies charge to deliver, if so how much?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:16 AM
Banned

Tank won't freeze but it might freeze off in the line.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Bush camps used a light bulb under tank in extreme cold weather. Propane companies deliver gas with no extra charge for trucking but like to restrict you to use their company so unable to shop around for best price.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Tank won't freeze but it might freeze off in the line.
Being that propane does not solidify until about -188 C, 'freeze' would not be the correct terminology to use. The issue with propane at colder ambient temperatures where it will remain liquid without being pressurized is two-fold; firstly the vapour pressure in the airspace above the liquid in the tank is significantly reduced so there is little to no pressure to propel the propane out of the tank and secondly the propane being discharged needs to absorb heat to be able to transition from its liquid state to a gaseous state. This is where some form of heat comes in to aid in the vaporization process, some systems will even include a component called a vaporizer which will use a small pilot flame to provide the heat required for the phase transition.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Being that propane does not solidify until about -188 C, 'freeze' would not be the correct terminology to use. The issue with propane at colder ambient temperatures where it will remain liquid without being pressurized is two-fold; firstly the vapour pressure in the airspace above the liquid in the tank is significantly reduced so there is little to no pressure to propel the propane out of the tank and secondly the propane being discharged needs to absorb heat to be able to transition from its liquid state to a gaseous state. This is where some form of heat comes in to aid in the vaporization process, some systems will even include a component called a vaporizer which will use a small pilot flame to provide the heat required for the phase transition.
Finally someone with the facts,,,

I hope you don't get banned for it
Old 07-26-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
At -39c I think you can pack propane in a pail like water. Wonder if a heat tape under tank would do enough in extreme cold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are things called 'belly blankets' that are essentially heat tapes in an insulated pad for this very purpose, though they'll have different thermostat setting than for protecting water lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Finally someone with the facts,,,

I hope you don't get banned for it

Yeah but what do I know, I'm only a licensed gas fitter........ Surely someone will chime in with a counterpoint backed up using alternative physics and anecdotes from their life experiences in Sunnyvale.

I wonder if anyone in either mainstream or social media has come up with an alternative periodic table of the elements

Last edited by CaberTosser; 07-26-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah but what do I know, I'm only a licensed gas fitter........ Surely someone will chime in with a counterpoint backed up using alternative physics and anecdotes from their life experiences in Sunnyvale.

I wonder if anyone in either mainstream or social media has come up with an alternative periodic table of the elements I
I did propane conversions on vehicles for 8 years , in the greeter Vancouver area, thousands of conversions, and certifications,,

Let me tell you the Auto propane fables and fairy tales and homegrown perversions I have witnessed,

lmfao
Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
I did propane conversions on vehicles for 8 years , in the greeter Vancouver area, thousands of conversions, and certifications,,

Let me tell you the Auto propane fables and fairy tales and homegrown perversions I have witnessed,

lmfao
I recall the joy of cold weather starting of two old shop vehicles that ran on propane, one was a Chev 2500' with two tanks under a box in the bed and the other was an old post office cube van. As a high school kid I also got a pretty significant burn to my forearm when unscrewing an extension tube as I released the fill nozzle, for those not in the know the contents of the extension tube get vented off out ports on the side of the fill nozzle when one stops filling. I sure didn't have my arm there again when releasing the valve! My entire left forearm turned cherry red and peeled pretty badly afterwards. To think of the paperwork on such an injury in this day and age....
Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
I recall the joy of cold weather starting of two old shop vehicles that ran on propane, one was a Chev 2500' with two tanks under a box in the bed and the other was an old post office cube van. As a high school kid I also got a pretty significant burn to my forearm when unscrewing an extension tube as I released the fill nozzle, for those not in the know the contents of the extension tube get vented off out ports on the side of the fill nozzle when one stops filling. I sure didn't have my arm there again when releasing the valve! My entire left forearm turned cherry red and peeled pretty badly afterwards. To think of the paperwork on such an injury in this day and age....
Or the cabi that packed his propane tank to 100% full when it was minus -10 C outside, then went home and parked his 75 impala inside his heated garage attached to his house, him and about 13 other cab drivers( all his cousins) all got blown out through the wall of the east side Vancouver house, when the tank vented propane and the furnace sucked in the fumes,,,

They all survived,

But feared propane,

Never got their damage deposit back on the rental house,