Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 AM

Default Apa vs Hoyt

I realize you favor what you have and they're both great bows but I'm Looking to buy a back up bow and interested in these two manufacturers.

I don't think it's apples to oranges here over their entire product line so Would like opinions on overall value for money, reliability, quality etc. What would you get and why?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Hoyt ever minute of every day apa shouldn't even be in the same sentence with Hoyt and bow tech. Wouldn't shoot a apa if they were free
Old 07-19-2017, 12:05 PM

My first bow I got was an APA Mamba 7. Not having anything to compare it to and being very green in the archery world, I thought it was a pretty damn fine bow. I shot it for a year and a half. Last year I decided to upgrade and picked up a Hoyt Nitrum 34 from Jim Bows.

There is literally no comparison between the 2. Same draw weight same draw length my Hoyt is easier to draw, better let off, better back wall, theres less vibration, less noise. It balances better in the hand. Its night and day difference in every way I can think of. The bow hook and the sharpener in the handle were nice features on the APA but thats not enough.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:42 PM

you will have to shoot them and pick the one you like the best for you everyone is different ... they are both great bows .... I like the fact I don't need a 1000$ bow press to tune my bow or change out strings, as well it is one of the most tunable bows on the market and again you don't need a press to do that as well...
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-19-2017, 07:59 PM

Id say if i was looking for a backup bow Id probably get the same kind as what I already have.
Unless you really wanna try something new have at it. Both be good choices.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Banned

I'll put it to you this way, if you buy both, you'd have an apa as a backup bow.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 PM

I own a 2013 APA viper nano. Its a great hunting bow: smooth, quiet, tuneable, reliable. I don't think Hoyt has a model that compares in those respects and I have no intention of changing. Sort of how the "tale of the tape" doesn't tell the whole story.

as far as twin cam, top end models the Hoyt bows are far more advanced and shootable across the board.

But it begs the question, why buy a backup? Sort of bassackwards ain't it? Get a new bow with whatever desired improvements you like and make your current one the backup, even if that happens after this season.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 PM

Default Bows

Wow people crack me up
I have had several top of the line bows Mathews , Hoyt , bowtec , elite , I bought a APA m7 about 7 years ago and hated it . Said I would never own another but once again my adection for buying bows had me buying the new APA M32 And wow do I love it , will it be the best bow I will ever shoot problly not but I love everything about it now . People need to go in a dark room and try about 8 differnt brands of top of the line bows I think once you were done you would walk out of there surprised it didn't have the name stamp on it you thought it would have . Short of it is try them all people buy what feels the best .
Old 07-20-2017, 05:37 AM

Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews z7 View Post
Wow people crack me up
I have had several top of the line bows Mathews , Hoyt , bowtec , elite , I bought a APA m7 about 7 years ago and hated it . Said I would never own another but once again my adection for buying bows had me buying the new APA M32 And wow do I love it , will it be the best bow I will ever shoot problly not but I love everything about it now . People need to go in a dark room and try about 8 differnt brands of top of the line bows I think once you were done you would walk out of there surprised it didn't have the name stamp on it you thought it would have . Short of it is try them all people buy what feels the best .
Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Default backup

I was looking for a new bow. Went to a number of archery shops. Took my arrows and release. Had them set up a lot of bows to the draw weight and length I shoot. I tried PSE, Hoyt, Bowtech, Bear and anything else they could bring. I did this over several months and kept track of my likes and dislikes. I was interested in the draw cycle for ease of drawing in the tree stand, valley and hold at the wall, how it fit my hand and how it felt at release. Speed was a tiny consideration.
I am loyal to only the one I like best "today".
I would recommend that you try as many as you can and please don't be influenced by the name on the limb.
I bought the M32.
Garry
Old 07-20-2017, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping my current bow will be a secondary and
I guess I am looking to replace it with something new.

I'm not happy with the shop where I bought it as the draw length is too long for me and he won't even arrange to acquire the length mod for me even though I asked. And I can't buy directly from Saskatchewan either apparently.

I hear so many good things about Hoyt I wanted real user feedback.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:21 PM

I shot both a M32 and CS34 side by side. The Hoyt felt much better in the hand and dead on the release, found the APA to vibrate but that was with nothing on it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Had a Nitrum30 and now have a Viper Nano for me the APA is a far better bow. Better draw cycle,way better back wall ,user friendly easy to tune(cam lock). As far as customer service goes you can't beat APA,go on their web site and watch the videos.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I'll put it to you this way, if you buy both, you'd have an apa as a backup bow.
This is succinct. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
Had a Nitrum30 and now have a Viper Nano for me the APA is a far better bow. Better draw cycle...
Comparing the draw cycle on a dual cam to a single cam is going to give you a very different experience
Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 AM

Don't make a decision without shooting a Bowtech Reign 7.

LC
Old 07-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I agree with this statement. Even the Reign 6. I walked in to JimBows and tried the too end bows from Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, Elite, whatever they had. For me it came down to choosing between the Hoyt Pro Defiant 34 and the Bowtech Reign 6. I went with the Hoyt based strictly on the draw cycle and the feel of the release. That being said, I could go back and get the Reign tomorrow and be very happy shooting either one.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM

My first and only bow is the Hoyt Nitrum 34".
Old 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM

They aren't in the same league. APA's are 40 off at WSS though. Not bad as a back up bow.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:15 PM
Banned

Agreed with lefty I love my reign 7 I'm not brand loyal either I've owned pse Mathews Hoyt bowtechs. I've arrowed more with pse then anything. I liked the elites as well
Old 07-30-2017, 10:19 PM

Default if you like to do things yourself...

and you don't want a bow press. the APA is easy to tune on your own. If you're having trouble you can call them and Nibal will talk you through it.

I'm happy with my Mamba 6. I shot the nitrum, the reign, even the no cam/game cart. It comes down to preference. some have more vibration, some are smooth. It's about trade-off. Harsh draw cycles don't bother me. IMO nothing is smooth if it has wheels compared to my 65# pronghorn trad bow.

shoot them both, make up your own mind and don't look back, whatever you decide.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC

X3

Elkster
Old 08-03-2017, 10:05 AM

I'm sure all the big name bows are vary capable, just depends what fits you best. i started out with APA then got caught up in the carbon craze and purchased a hoyt carbon element and had a few issues with it to start(including a crack) but was all taken care of eventually. I had spoken with hoyt directly and they were great however the company that imports them to canada can't remember their name, but they were absolute crap to deal with. Never had any issues with my APA Though.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutie View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping my current bow will be a secondary and
I guess I am looking to replace it with something new.

I'm not happy with the shop where I bought it as the draw length is too long for me and he won't even arrange to acquire the length mod for me even though I asked. And I can't buy directly from Saskatchewan either apparently.

I hear so many good things about Hoyt I wanted real user feedback.
I've owned 2 APA bows over the years and now shoot Hoyt. I don't want to get into a pizzing match on this forum so if you pm me I will tell you my APA experiences and why I shoot what I do now.

Have a good one,

Norm
Old 08-03-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
This is succinct. Love it.

Comparing the draw cycle on a dual cam to a single cam is going to give you a very different experience
And there is the kicker. Most people don't compare apples to apples. Most wouldn't even notice the difference in design, and many dealers and shops would fail to point them out. Do yourself a favor and go to a reputable bow shop and become informed. Don't rely on internet advise to guide you to your next purchase. Go try them, touch them and talk face to face with informed people.

Jmo,

Norm
Old 08-03-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
... I don't want to get into a pizzing match on this forum ...
Norm
Well THAT'S boring
I thought the whole reason the Internet existed was for pizzing matches haha
Old 08-04-2017, 07:01 PM

I like them both. Why not shoot what your local shop guys sell and like working on? If your guy loves Hoyt or Bowtech he will tweak it into a arrow smacking machine. Most likely they have had extra training from the manufacturer on how to get the most out of the brand. Not to say a top end shop couldn't work on most equipment but they may not know all the quirks.