Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 07:05 PM

Default Now that servers make 15$ what has changed.

Don't see anq less servers in the places I frequent. Alberta always had far higher restaurant prices than B.C, Sask or Man and we still do. Service hasn't improved but you also don't see help wanted signs in every restaurant window.

I rarely tipped before and now I never tip. How many of you are still tipping regualrly, seeing as how the servers are now well paid?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 PM

It's not $15 yet, it goes up a dollar in October to $12.20, then 2 more staged increases to get to $15 by the end of 2018
Old 07-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
It's not $15 yet, it goes up a dollar in October to $12.20, then 2 more staged increases to get to $15 by the end of 2018
We already had the 12.20 bump, this October takes it into the 13's
Old 07-15-2017, 07:20 PM

Except for poor service, I always tip. I will continue to tip for good service when min reaches 15.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:30 PM

everywhere I have been the service has been good. I tip when service is good. The part that has always bothered me is cheapskate pinhead owners telling their staff to live on tips. Pay peanuts get monkeys I guess.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Don't see anq less servers in the places I frequent. Alberta always had far higher restaurant prices than B.C, Sask or Man and we still do. Service hasn't improved but you also don't see help wanted signs in every restaurant window.

I rarely tipped before and now I never tip. How many of you are still tipping regualrly, seeing as how the servers are now well paid?
Why wouldn't you tip? That's always being customary in the food service industry where you are waited on. If you have good service from a server you should tip them for doing a good job and making sure your experience at the resteraunt was an enjoyable one. If the experience is poor, it is not always the servers fault. Just because the food was not good doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. The server is not back there cooking your food. He or she only delivers the order to the kitchen and they prepare it. I know a lot of people base their tips off of food quality. That should not be the case.

The fiancé put herself through college and is still currently a server. What you may not realize is that if there is no tip they have to pay out the kitchen and the bar a certain percentage out of their pocket. By not tipping you are dropping their hourly wage down to pay out the others that don't recieve the tips for the work they perform. On average it's about 7-10% per bill. On a $50 bill it could be up to $5. Doesn't seem like much but when you go from $13 an hour down to $8 an hour that hurts.

After seeing her come home from long 10-12 hours days and being dead tired I always tip my server. To anyone who doesn't tip I would love to see you do what they do. 5-10 tables at all times, and keeping them all happy and making sure their experience is enjoyable. I couldn't do it and I'd love to see others try.

Just my 2 cents.

DR
Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger5143 View Post
Why wouldn't you tip? That's always being customary in the food service industry where you are waited on. If you have good service from a server you should tip them for doing a good job and making sure your experience at the resteraunt was an enjoyable one. If the experience is poor, it is not always the servers fault. Just because the food was not good doesn't mean you shouldn't tip. The server is not back there cooking your food. He or she only delivers the order to the kitchen and they prepare it. I know a lot of people base their tips off of food quality. That should not be the case.

The fiancé put herself through college and is still currently a server. What you may not realize is that if there is no tip they have to pay out the kitchen and the bar a certain percentage out of their pocket. By not tipping you are dropping their hourly wage down to pay out the others that don't recieve the tips for the work they perform. On average it's about 7-10% per bill. On a $50 bill it could be up to $5. Doesn't seem like much but when you go from $13 an hour down to $8 an hour that hurts.

After seeing her come home from long 10-12 hours days and being dead tired I always tip my server. To anyone who doesn't tip I would love to see you do what they do. 5-10 tables at all times, and keeping them all happy and making sure their experience is enjoyable. I couldn't do it and I'd love to see others try.

Just my 2 cents.

DR
Are you telling us the servers "pay" the cooks/bartenders whether or not they get a tip?...really?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

To me, this is an irrelevant variable. Regardless of what the server gets paid, I weigh the quality/quantity of the food/meal, the service received, and the price/value of the meal to determine tip amount. Typically, tips get spread between servers and cooks so am good to use this type of formula.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 PM

When I was young I was aserver in high end restaurants. I also cooked in some for a few years. As a server I appreciated good tips but I provided EXEMPLARY service, far and above anything you see in 90% of places today. If I got that kind of service I would tip but I sure as heck won't for the just doing their job service you get most places.

Also, I really don't care who screwed up my dining experience, if my server or the manager can't make it right do u really believe a tip is still warranted. You must be kidding.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Default What's the standard of good service?

"Good Service" whats that look like?
- acknowledged when we enter
- clean premises
- waters while reading the menu?
- friendly demeanor
- a comment if the kitchen just got slammed with a big group order
- food served at it's appropriate temp and properly prepared
- come ask if it's to our liking and checking on drinks
- one more check on drinks
- plates cleared as we finish
- don't handle my glass by the rim

Is that worth 15%?
What warrants 20% or more?
Old 07-15-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

DR
No offence to your wife's place of work, but if this is truly the case then this is not a great situation for many reasons...
Old 07-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

DR
That is just absolute bull excrement. If this is a mid end place charging $8 for a bowl of soup, $30+ for a steak or chicken meal, $3.00 for a glass of ice decorated with colored water and another $7.50 for dessert, they are making money and can afford to pay their staff. Time to move on to the next place. Turnover is always high in restaurants, it seems, this may be why.
My daughter worked at Brewhouse Lloydminster, and if patrons skipped out on the bill they took it out of the waitresses cheque. She ended that deal quick. These goddamn restaurant owners need some reform.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Well for me good service gets no tip. I tip when the aervice is beyond the bottom standard. Because frankly why should i give you more money for doing your job the way you are supposed to. The wage increase just makes me more rigid in this. Also bartenders dont get squat unless they make me a decent mixed drink im sorry but piviting 180° to grab a beer does exactly qualify for more money.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Except for poor service, I always tip. I will continue to tip for good service when min reaches 15.
Me x 2.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

DR
I have never worked as a server in a restaurant, but have known several friends that have. None of them have ever paid the cook or bartender when they were not tipped, so anyone that is working for such a place shouldn't complain about it if that is a one in a million restaurant that is deducting pay and they choose to keep working there. There must be more to this story that we are not hearing about. I know of two local restaurants that have their servers put all the tips into a jar, and at the end of the shift it gets divided to everyone, even the lazy folks that didn't put any in. I refuse to tip at such places, and have told the servers that I will give them the tip directly, and if I hear that they threw it into the commons jar, I'll not tip there again. I also don't believe that restaurants are the only place to tip good services rendered, often even a little extra coffee money to mechanics and hairdressers and such can make someones day.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:28 PM

It's none of my business who tips. I always have and always will based on the service given. However, on occasions when things have been a gong show, I have not. Those occasions are when the wait staff made me wait an inordinate amount of time, screwed up my order and were rude about it etc.... stuff in their power to change.

As for the surprise by many of you that wait staff have to "tip out" on their sales at the end of their shift leads me to believe that many of you did not work in restaurants growing up. I worked in many restaurants and bars in my university days (mid 80s to early 90s). Each and every establishment made us "tip out" a certain percentage of our ring out to bar staff and kitchen staff, the idea being that they contributed to the dining experience that you were benefiting from. To my recollection, I don't remember anyone complaining, it just was what it was. You would work hard to give every table good service, as you knew that if they didn't tip you, it was actually going to cost you a bit. My memory is foggy, but it was like 1.5 - 2%. But back then you had to work for a job so you didn't whine because you knew that they could easily replace you.

Those days just engrained the practice in me. I generally tip between 10-15% and have done 20% on occasion where the server's great work just topped off a wonderful evening.

Each to their own.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:43 PM

I always tip. If it is great service I tip 20%. I did once tip 50% to a server who, on her own, recognized that my steak was not done to my specifications. I was comped the steak and given a brand-new one by the manager. For a table of eight she made out very very well when she could've ignored the situation in which I would not have complained in front of others.

With really poor service I tip a dollar just so they know that I did not forget to tip.

Frankly, if you don't tip you're a dink.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 07-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
I always tip. If it is great service I tip 20%. I did once tip 50% to a server who, on her own, recognized that my steak was not done to my specifications. I was comped the steak and given a brand-new one by the manager. For a table of eight she made out very very well when she could've ignored the situation in which I would not have complained in front of others.

With really poor service I tip a dollar just so they know that I did not forget to tip.

Frankly, if you don't tip you're a dink.
Service has to do with whom simply delivers the product to your table. But what about the cook? If you've sent the steak back, maybe the cook spit on it's 2nd serving and the server delivers it with a smile, and you're a happy camper. Just saying.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Service has to do with whom simply delivers the product to your table. But what about the cook? If you've sent the steak back, maybe the cook spit on it's 2nd serving and the server delivers it with a smile, and you're a happy camper. Just saying.
I was a line cook. You are right. It happens. Not nearly as much as you think. Usually it was because it was the servers fault, not the customers. We had special ways of getting back at the servers.

Which is why I never complain. I just tip accordingly. In this one case it was the server that recognized the error. If I got spit, I got spit and it was tasty well grilled spit and no worse than anything I ate on purpose in Korea.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Rich people eating in restaurants.

Can't relate
Old 07-15-2017, 09:31 PM

Default Spitting

When I worked at Denny Andrew's American Bar back in the 80s, you didn't want to bug the bartender/wait staff for water at last call, as they were busy maxing out on tips to finish off a shift. Let's just say that lots of saliva was inadvertently shared.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
I was a line cook. You are right. It happens. Not nearly as much as you think. Usually it was because it was the servers fault, not the customers. We had special ways of getting back at the servers.

Which is why I never complain. I just tip accordingly. In this one case it was the server that recognized the error. If I got spit, I got spit and it was tasty well grilled spit and no worse than anything I ate on purpose in Korea.
Agreed 100% was a line cook as well, the good servers play a huge part in what comes out of the kitchen. For you guys that don't believe in tipping hopefully you are not a repeat customer as karma will eventually catch up
Old 07-15-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
When I worked at Denny Andrew's American Bar back in the 80s, you didn't want to bug the bartender/wait staff for water at last call, as they were busy maxing out on tips to finish off a shift. Let's just say that lots of saliva was inadvertently shared.
That's disgusting. As a kid I worked in restaurants and I NEVER put up with people spitting in someone else's food.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallardMan View Post
That's disgusting. As a kid I worked in restaurants and I NEVER put up with people spitting in someone else's food.
I never said I did. I just said it happened. Lots more than one would think. I can only imagine what cooks did, as they seemed to be the roughest characters.

At McDonalds as a teen, I witnessed many burgers hit the floor and be quickly be picked back up because the kids were afraid to get in trouble from a slightly older, power-tripping teen who was the supervisor. I also witnessed a person spit on the grill in the morning to see if it was hot.

Last edited by sns2; 07-15-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:00 PM

Denny Andrews bahahaha, I would be surprised if a drink you ordered back in the day didn't have saliva in it.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Banned

This will age me, I'm sure. While I was attending university in Lethbridge, I would come home to Calgary on weekends. I was employed as a security guard for Pinkertons at the Palliser Hotel. Each morning, my tour of duty took me through the kitchen where I had to ring in my clock. One one occasion, I actually saw a staff member spit into the vat of clam chowder that was meant for the famous luncheon.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 PM

I tip

I dont need some 16 yr old kid to kiss my ass and do handstands. Just bring me my order correctly and be nice. And the more you fill my glass, the better. Simple.

Ive seen *******es belittle, be sarcastic to and basically treat some kid like crap. Those are the guys who save up all year from their menial jobs, to go out for supper once a year and they play like they're a bigtimer.

You will get 30-40% from me every time, regardless of what the bill is. You could drop my steak on the ground and delay me 30 minutes. I don't care.

If you cant tip, stick to McDonalds, leave your 25 cents change in the box so you can tell everyone how you sent a kid to camp......
Old 07-15-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I tip

I dont need some 16 yr old kid to kiss my ass and do handstands. Just bring me my order correctly and be nice. And the more you fill my glass, the better. Simple.

Ive seen *******es belittle, be sarcastic to and basically treat some kid like crap. Those are the guys who save up all year from their menial jobs, to go out for supper once a year and they play like they're a bigtimer.

You will get 30-40% from me every time, regardless of what the bill is. You could drop my steak on the ground and delay me 30 minutes. I don't care.

If you cant tip, stick to McDonalds, leave your 25 cents change in the box so you can tell everyone how you sent a kid to camp......
I know her!!!!

/thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I tip

Really? Orky Dorky.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:48 PM

Never realized there was that many cheap people on AO.....wow

Mack