Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 10:39 AM

Default Spray Foam Backstop?

Hi All,

I am curious about using spray foam insulation as a backstop so I don't lose any more arrows into the trees at my acreage... It would not be used as a target, but just something to stop them from going into the bush.... I've heard it can leave a residue on an arrow, but since it *should*be rather infrequent that I am hitting the foam insulation, I can deal with cleaning the odd arrow.

Is the foam dense enough to stop an arrow? Or will I go straight through? How deep would the foam need to be? I'll be shooting a Mathews Z7 at 60lbs.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-14-2017, 10:56 AM
Banned

No, it's no where near dense enough. You will have to spend more on spray foam than a new target.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Default rigid insulation

Go to one of the big box stores (ie Home Depot) and get yourself some rigid insulation. They come in 24x96" pink sheets and are 1 1/2" up to 2" thick. They make great backstops. They don't get damaged from rain, arrows come out fine without residue and are fairly inexpensive. You may need to double them up depending on what your are shooting (field points vs. broadheads).

But since you have an acreage I would just go and get some hay bails and pile those up.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Would hanging up some carpet work?

Or would that mess up the arrows too much?
Old 06-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodeemus1 View Post
Go to one of the big box stores (ie Home Depot) and get yourself some rigid insulation. They come in 24x96" pink sheets and are 1 1/2" up to 2" thick. They make great backstops. They don't get damaged from rain, arrows come out fine without residue and are fairly inexpensive. You may need to double them up depending on what your are shooting (field points vs. broadheads).

But since you have an acreage I would just go and get some hay bails and pile those up.
Do the squares work well enough to stop an arrow? I shot into a hay bale once, and my arrow sunk right in, never to be found again...

The reason I asked is I know a fella who had a "botched batch" of the insulation, so he was gonna do one up for free for me.

When you use the pink sheets, do you stack and compress them? Or do you line them up vertically?
Old 06-14-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

Don't use Home Depot foam products! Especially if yo have an acreage. Trust me, I've been through it all before. I have a construction company and have used several different types of building materials to shoot targets with. Sure SOME work, but none last, then it's back to the drawing board.

I once made one out of a tire and several layers of soft board and spray foam, cost me about $80 in material, only lasted a couple months. The best home made target I have ever made was when I cut a bunch of 6" strips of soft board (felt board) 4' long then stacked them 4' high, ran a ready rod through each side and bolted a 2x8 top and bottom. That target lasted a long time, but it wasn't cheap and took a long time to build.

Just go buy one of those bags for $60-$80 and shoot the heck out of it, then once its shot out all you need to do is buy a replacement cover for $20. That's about the best advise I can give you.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:04 PM

I used the spray foam to remake a target I had... so I gutted it then spray it with spray foam then covered it and taped it closed so it would hold the density .... stopped my vaps well .... even stopped a ghost 410... best would be to get a box and have an industrial spray foam guy to fill it if you have that option... it doesn't leave a film on the arrow... the white foam that guys used years ago did leave a film on the arrows
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-14-2017, 10:39 PM

You can also buy some 2 part expanding foam from most taxidermy supply places. It's used for making taxidermy forms. It's much denser than the spray foam from hardware stores.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:44 AM

My son and I shoot on our acreage. I had the same issues. Went down the road to the local farmer and bought 6 small straw bales. set up a nice little range and have been shooting at it all spring. No arrows have been lost. In the fall Ill use the straw as mulch in the garden and flower beds. Cheep and easy range.

J
Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Search up target backstops on AT forums, lots of good cheap material ideas to hang behind.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Banned

This looks simple & cheap... I'd make it stand a bit more vertical though.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:49 PM

The most important thing is to shoot.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:27 PM

I found that Horse stall mats work really good and will stop carbon arrows out of a compound if you don't use it for a target. Buy the biggest one you find and hang it on a 2X4 frame. Put your bag, block or 3D target in front of it and you will not loose anymore arrows and it doesn't damage them either. Nice mat neutral color also so it's not too much of an eye sore on the acreage.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:44 PM

As cheep as it may seem it will not work good.
Best thing to do is build yourself a 4'x4' target and it will catch the
strays.

I've used the spray foam years ago to rebuild my 3D buck, but found
the spray foam sticks to arrows making them almost impossible to pull
out.

If you happen to have a block or a yellow jacket then simply build a 4'x4'
backstop filled with either cotton or plastic.
That would be the most economic way to go. :-)

Horse stall mats are a great idea, I seen them sold at Tracktor Supply Inc. down
here, about 25.00 for a 4x8.