Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 AM

Pse's in AB maintain breakers, transformers and protection systems in substations and generation facilities so the work has a large component of out of town. Power Lineman maintain lines, structures that ether and leave substations. Distribution lineman maintain more at the municipal level (25kv and below) and transmission lineman with altalink maintain towers and larger structures (69 kv and above). Altalink transmission lineman probably spend the most time out of town if that's your thing.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:19 PM

Thank you for the insights. Is becoming a PSE more of a natural progression from being lineman or is it something that one starts early in their career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishead View Post
Pse's in AB maintain breakers, transformers and protection systems in substations and generation facilities so the work has a large component of out of town. Power Lineman maintain lines, structures that ether and leave substations. Distribution lineman maintain more at the municipal level (25kv and below) and transmission lineman with altalink maintain towers and larger structures (69 kv and above). Altalink transmission lineman probably spend the most time out of town if that's your thing.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:03 PM

I think for most people it is an either or situation. Both trades deal with high voltage. Which by the way shouldn't scare you off. Electrical tech from nait or sait is a huge bonus if you want to crack the nut of getting into the utility world. Don't that there is a lot hiring right now but check web sites regular. Here is a hint Epcor, enmax, city of red deer, city of med hat, bc hydro, fortis the list goes on and on positions do come up you just have to keep watching
Old 03-15-2016, 09:19 PM

I'll keep an eye on those websites and start pounding on doors next week. Thank you
Old 06-08-2016, 08:40 PM

Bumpity bump.....I have been hunting for a position on days off without any luck. Does anyone have any updates on projects or can nudge me in the right direction? I definitely didn't realize the economy was this bad

I am also not 100 percent sure what my resume should look like when trying to make a career change from oil and gas into an entry level labourer for a utilities contractor. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on how they made the switch or what one should write/do?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 PM

I'm in the trade, my advice is this, if you have steady work now, hang in there and finish your ticket if you haven't already.

It's awful slow out there right now, especially for some of the contractors. Most of the utility companies aren't hiring. But it will improve.

Also apply at some of the REA's as well, Battle River, Equs and Rocky REA. I think a couple of them have elec chickens on staff, might be an in.

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode."
Hillbillyreefer
Old 06-08-2016, 11:05 PM

Thanks very much. I never thought of the REAs. I'll keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opalsasquatch View Post
I'm in the trade, my advice is this, if you have steady work now, hang in there and finish your ticket if you haven't already.

It's awful slow out there right now, especially for some of the contractors. Most of the utility companies aren't hiring. But it will improve.

Also apply at some of the REA's as well, Battle River, Equs and Rocky REA. I think a couple of them have elec chickens on staff, might be an in.

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

Hillbillyreefer
Old 06-10-2016, 01:31 PM

I would think that you would be making a big mistake for not first finishing your apprenticeship as an electrician no matter what your future plans may be.

Are you aware that Atco Electric and other utility companies do hire electricians. These electricians work in technical positions such as maintaining and servicing sub stations and remote diesel generators. Generally in a warm, dry and clean work site.

You may regret some day that you did not have your electrician ticket to fall back on.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the reply and showing concern about my future. Unfortunately, I am not an apprentice electrician so finishing that is not an option. I work on the service side of Oil and Gas. It probably makes it substantially more difficult to switch careers but it is was it is and things will get better eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
I would think that you would be making a big mistake for not first finishing your apprenticeship as an electrician no matter what your future plans may be.

Are you aware that Atco Electric and other utility companies do hire electricians. These electricians work in technical positions such as maintaining and servicing sub stations and remote diesel generators. Generally in a warm, dry and clean work site.

You may regret some day that you did not have your electrician ticket to fall back on.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferac View Post
Thanks for the reply and showing concern about my future. Unfortunately, I am not an apprentice electrician so finishing that is not an option. I work on the service side of Oil and Gas. It probably makes it substantially more difficult to switch careers but it is was it is and things will get better eventually.

The OP is a 3rd year electrical apprentice, and I believe that is who they are referring to.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:59 PM

Would anyone be able to provide an update as to the status/health of the utilities industry? Specifically getting in as a labourer/1st year lineman.

I spent all most every off day in the summer driving to companies in BC/SASK/MB but they all had stacks of resumes from >2nd year apprentices.
Essentially, it was an epic failure but a fun process nonetheless.

What is the current word on the ground?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:38 PM

Slip on a pair of Vibergs and knock on doors. It works.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 PM

Good to know. I'll keep pounding on doors and something will eventually happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Slip on a pair of Vibergs and knock on doors. It works.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Would anyone be able to provide an update as to the status/health of the utilities industry? Specifically getting in as a labourer/1st year lineman.

I spent all most every off day in the summer driving to companies in BC/SASK/MB but they all had stacks of resumes from >2nd year apprentices.
Essentially, it was an epic failure but a fun process nonetheless.

What is the current word on the ground?
No improvement since the original post.
Can't speak for all utilities, but Atco Electric is definitely not hiring for the line trade.
AE is driven by O&G and until things change they will be slow.

I would think the best bet would be the Epcor's and Enmax's but perhaps with the slow down and downsizing thats hit other utilities, entry level positions may be few and far between
Old 10-18-2016, 10:35 PM

Thank you very much. A few people I know at Enmax say that they have downsized and getting in as a labourer is very difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
No improvement since the original post.
Can't speak for all utilities, but Atco Electric is definitely not hiring for the line trade.
AE is driven by O&G and until things change they will be slow.

I would think the best bet would be the Epcor's and Enmax's but perhaps with the slow down and downsizing thats hit other utilities, entry level positions may be few and far between
Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM

Bumpity bump to the top. Does anyone have input/insights into whether activity has picked up for the trade? I am specifically looking for a labourer position with a chance to apprentice later. Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 PM

I see all kinds of Vallard and many smaller outfits doing a bunch of construction around Edmonton. Not sure if you are interested outside of where you're from though.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Don't wait for an apprenticeship position, apply as a summer student/laborer!! Then you've got a 2-3 month window to bust your ass and prove you wan't it!! For myself if you've shown determination and drive to get passed that you'll be given the full time offer with the 1st year option.

Otherwise there's always the trade school option, Lethbridge has a pricey but good pre-employment school specifically for the line trade. They approach companies for you as a field experience position. Here we have 3 major companies that recruit from there. In my experience usually 75% end up hired post school and head straight to work
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I see all kinds of Vallard and many smaller outfits doing a bunch of construction around Edmonton. Not sure if you are interested outside of where you're from though.
Same. I have a neighbour who lives a block away from me that is some sort of field supervisor or some highup with Valard, Next time I see him, I'll ask if they're doing any major hiring for labourers.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 PM

Thank you. I'll have to drop by and hand out a resume.

Quote:
Old 06-23-2017, 10:15 PM

One of my sons buddies starts Monday for a line contract outfit. Keep your ear to the ground and go for it when positions open.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-23-2017, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I looked into Lethbridge College and spoke to a few students in Spring 2016 and they indicated that they were not finding jobs because of the oversupply of workers at the time. I will head down the labourer route, hopefully land a labourer position and work my ass off for an apprenticeship. The only thing I am currently worried about is my resume, as it has O&G on it (the same company for 4 years) and I am not sure how to verbally prove to a recruiter that I won't get up and leave when oil prices rise. I can explain it to them but it sounds arrogant so I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cuz1 View Post
Don't wait for an apprenticeship position, apply as a summer student/laborer!! Then you've got a 2-3 month window to bust your ass and prove you wan't it!! For myself if you've shown determination and drive to get passed that you'll be given the full time offer with the 1st year option.

Otherwise there's always the trade school option, Lethbridge has a pricey but good pre-employment school specifically for the line trade. They approach companies for you as a field experience position. Here we have 3 major companies that recruit from there. In my experience usually 75% end up hired post school and head straight to work
Old 06-23-2017, 10:25 PM

That would be greatly appreciated if you don't mind. If mentions any strategies, that would be great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Same. I have a neighbour who lives a block away from me that is some sort of field supervisor or some highup with Valard, Next time I see him, I'll ask if they're doing any major hiring for labourers.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 PM

It's great to hear that he found a position. Do you happen to know how he heard about it and where the general location is? Is it in Drayton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
One of my sons buddies starts Monday for a line contract outfit. Keep your ear to the ground and go for it when positions open.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I looked into Lethbridge College and spoke to a few students in Spring 2016 and they indicated that they were not finding jobs because of the oversupply of workers at the time. I will head down the labourer route, hopefully land a labourer position and work my ass off for an apprenticeship. The only thing I am currently worried about is my resume, as it has O&G on it (the same company for 4 years) and I am not sure how to verbally prove to a recruiter that I won't get up and leave when oil prices rise. I can explain it to them but it sounds arrogant so I am not sure.
I just took on 4 students last month from the program, O&G background is a tough hurdle,, everyone I've spoke to with that background seemed burdened at the though of hard work for a less dollar out the gate...
Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 PM

PM sent. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cuz1 View Post
I just took on 4 students last month from the program, O&G background is a tough hurdle,, everyone I've spoke to with that background seemed burdened at the though of hard work for a less dollar out the gate...
Old 07-06-2017, 07:26 PM

Heading out tomorrow and Monday to drop off resumes across the province. I have personalized cover letters, resumes, and references printed out. I plan on wearing nice pants and a nice shirt. Does anyone have any final insights/advice/suggestions? I am pretty excited so I am trying not to forget anything

Have a nice night
Old 07-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Good luck!

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

Hillbillyreefer
Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Heading out tomorrow and Monday to drop off resumes across the province. I have personalized cover letters, resumes, and references printed out. I plan on wearing nice pants and a nice shirt. Does anyone have any final insights/advice/suggestions? I am pretty excited so I am trying not to forget anything

Have a nice night
Epcor Union IBEW 1007
Lots of different electrical trades. Streetlight, Signals, Lineman, Substation, Underground and Trolley. Lots of Construction jobs and operator positions as well. Not sure if they are hiring right now but I would check them out.
https://www.epcor.com/about/careers/...arch-jobs.aspx
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 PM

Thank you. I have them on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Epcor Union IBEW 1007
Lots of different electrical trades. Streetlight, Signals, Lineman, Substation, Underground and Trolley. Lots of Construction jobs and operator positions as well. Not sure if they are hiring right now but I would check them out.
https://www.epcor.com/about/careers/...arch-jobs.aspx