Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Default Broken Shimano rod

Long story short, my rod ended up broken between the second and third rings down from the tip (see the attached image). Anyone has any advice on how to fix it? It's a Shimano rod that may be covered by the limited lifetime warranty but I don't have a slightest idea where the receipt is anyway. It's a decent rod, not too expensive but very nice to my hand and I like(d) it very much and would rather fix it if possible. Previously, I only had a couple of cheap "nobody-cares-about" type of rods broken in a similar place and I simply tossed them, so I have no experience with this type of damage.

For those interested, to make the short story a little longer, I went fishing on Saturday evening/night (22:45 to about midnight). There was light rain and it was perfect. I started with a fly rod, then switched to the spinning rod with a floater. A few minutes later, I put the spinning down on the rocks not far from me and picked up the fly rod again. Some time later I went back to spinning. It was fairly dark by then. The first cast after I picked it up was just fine, as usually. The second cast was the same; however, it was pulling back weird and I pulled out the floater and the broken tip. I have no clue what had happened. There was no indication of anything being wrong until I started pulling back the very last time and I mean nothing seemed to be wrong. So yeah. I was pretty disappointed. My best guess to what had happened was that the end of the rod ended up lying in between the rocks so that when I picked it up, it got cracked. But I think I would have noticed it. I am usually pretty careful with my equipment and don't go "rough" on it. So yeah, no clue.

The fishing itself, was awesome to the point of breaking the rod. I pulled out at least two dozens of walleyes (almost all with the fly). Funny thing is that I did not have a single bite in about 1.5 hours of fishing on the followings two nights at the same spot.

Appreciate all advice, folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5140.jpg (73.2 KB, 97 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 AM

I had a rod that had broken and I went into a small store sort of like the fishin hole in Edmonton and they contacted shimano and ended up getting me a new rod without me having the receipt. Might be worth a try.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:41 PM

My experience with a broken Shimano rod with "Lifetime Warranty" wasn't very good once they switched to no longer providing lifetime warranty. I shipped it to them at my cost and they didn't cover it under warranty. Similar circumstance as you.

You could contact The Reel Doctor in Edmonton and see if he has any suggestions, or the Fishin' Hole. They no longer do over the counter exchanges though.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-19-2017, 02:02 PM

Aside from Canadian Tire, who do not carry this kind of rods and if they did, they probably would not care to help a guy out anyway, I only have Wholesale Sports two hours away from me. So going into a store to figure it out is not really an option. Not in the near future anyway.

SamSteele, I figured as much when I read over their warranty card on their website and decided to not even bother with it since I expect the result to be just like you had described.

It seems like the only solution is to actually fix it myself or have someone do that for me. i prefer the former and it seems that the latter is unlikely anyway due to me being fairly far from anything, really. The easiest way to do it would be to throw a tip on it and be done with it. Not a fan of doing it that way, but I am not aware of any other way of putting it back together.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:06 PM

You might want to check out the Mudhole site to see if they have a repair kit option? I know that they sell rod building materials and tools. They are out of the States though.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 07-19-2017, 02:13 PM

Thanks mate, I will check it out.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 PM

I've sent my shimano crucial rod in 3 times. Ya I know it breaks a lot lol,
I also fish a lot
Sent it in using this form. You have to pay shipping.
Get a new one every time.
My original rod had lifetime warranty, they always send back one year limited warranty rods-
But I state that in my report form.
http://fish.shimano.com/content/sac-...orm_Canada.pdf
Worth a shot
Kevin
Old 07-20-2017, 03:53 PM

All breaks like this can be repaired. I have done close to 100 rods over the years.
1. Find a fiberglass tip section that fits well into the upper broken section.
2. Mark it where it sticks out from this tip section.
3. Cut the fiberglass tip section about 6" below the mark.
4. Insert the fiberglass section into the bottom broken section from the joint side.
5. Shake and slide it up into position, and again mark where it shows up and makes a tight fit with that bottom broken section.
6. Find a wooden dowel that you can push up the bottom broken section to keep the fiberglass insert in place.
7. Remove the fiberglass tip section, and cut it 3" below the lower mark and 2" above the upper mark.
8. Mix a batch of 30 minute epoxy.
9. Spread some inside the bottom broken section with a bamboo cooking skewer, making sure to get the epoxy down below where the bottom of the insert would be.
10. Spread some epoxy into the upper broken section as well.
11. Push the fiberglass insert into the bottom broken section with the dowel/stick.
12. holding it in place with the dowel/stick, push the top broken section onto the fiberglass inset.
13. Wipe off any epoxy squeeze out.
14. Make sure the fishing guides align, and wrap the joint with some masking tape to keep it together, and straight while the epoxy sets.
15. Once the epoxy has set, remove the tape, and gently scrape or sand off any excess epoxy.
16. Wrap the break spot, about 1" below to 1" above the break with guide thread.
17. Seal the guide thread with an oil based polyurethane, 2-3 coats. Since I have the gear, I would throw it onto my rod wrapping machine, and coat it with rod epoxy, leaving it rotating in the machine for 24 hours.

This sounds like a lot of work, but it is quite easy, and if you have a number of rods to do (my last bath was 26 rods from two northern lodges), it can go very quickly.

PM me if you have any questions.

Vic
Old 07-20-2017, 07:31 PM

Can you not find a piece of wood dowling that would fit inside the 2 broken pieces, say about 8-12 inches in length, with 1/2 going into each section. Slap the glue onto the dowl and also where the rod pieces fit together. Hold the 2 pieces of rod together till the glue firms up. Then go fishing. Or something like that.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Can you not find a piece of wood dowling that would fit inside the 2 broken pieces, say about 8-12 inches in length, with 1/2 going into each section. Slap the glue onto the dowl and also where the rod pieces fit together. Hold the 2 pieces of rod together till the glue firms up. Then go fishing. Or something like that.
Won't work. The filler piece needs to be tapered, and then needs to be about the same strength as the broken piece. Wood doweling that diameter has absolutely no strength. A piece of old bamboo rod in decent condition would be a much better choice.

Vic
Old 07-21-2017, 04:41 PM

Send it back to Shimano warranty centre in Peterborough, Ont. Best rod warranty in the business. Of course they can't cover everything as some people drive over them with trucks and such but if they can they will repair or replace it.
Always option #1 with shimano.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Stickfix in Calgary. They just repaired my GLoomis and I could not be happier. 50 bucks and it was done.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:34 PM

Default glad we were able to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
I had a rod that had broken and I went into a small store sort of like the fishin hole in Edmonton and they contacted shimano and ended up getting me a new rod without me having the receipt. Might be worth a try.
Thanks for the kind words we are always willing to try and help out where we can I know a few higher ups at shimano so thus the reason you have a new rod, The Reel Doctor