Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-23-2012, 03:14 PM

Default Wolverine Trapline survey

Hi folks. As I mentioned a while back, the Alberta Trappers Association in partnership with the Alberta Conservation Association is conducting a wolverine research project here in Alberta. We have several trappers contributing to the pilot project out in the field but any trapper holding a RFMA is encouraged to fill in this survey.

The survey can be accessed here: http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/images-projects/wolverine_status_questionnaire_Final_electronic-1.docx

Once completed, email to: mike.jokinen@ab-conservation.com

It's just as important to know where the wolverines aren't, so feel free to fill it in regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gulo ID 4.jpg (92.8 KB, 564 views)

Last edited by Rob Miskosky; 02-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

I filled mine out. The video on the ACA website is really cool! It is unfortunate but most of the RFMA holders I have talked to are reluctant to fill these out because of the wolf study being discontinued in mid stream after some trappers contributed alot of time and effort and the lynx study which seems to have fallen off the plate as well.

It didn't help either when Gordy Klassen refered the wolverine as the next quote..."poster child" animal to be put into the endagered species list by SRD. This was in his presentation at the recently held Large Carnivor Seminar hosted by the MD of Bighorn.

I hope all the trappers fill the ACA forms out and we get some information on an unique animal that there appears to be very little known about.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM

Just sent the survey in to mike this am, I know when i talked to Bill he mentioned wanting gps coordinates and what the wolverine was doing and so forth but there is nothing on the survey that asks for it? Brian do you know if your seeing them then if they ask for more info? I sent some info in the email anyway as i recorded most things in a journal this year. I am glad there is people still wanting to make a difference and i can tell already this isn't and pathetic excuss of a study like the grizz was. I dont know much about the wolf or lynx study perhaps outdoorsmen you can fill me in a little?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

I hope this study is allowed to be completed. The wolf study (Nordegg) was curtailed when the next phase involved neutering. The lynx study (Nordegg) just seemed to fold up. Nothing new on their website for at least a year and a half. The trapppers I know that submitted fur snippits for dna samples have never heard anything back. The cougar study (Nordegg) done seems to be the only one so far that was completed and has some interesting data out. I don't believe it but quite a few of the trappers I talked with are saying this is just a study to get the wolverine protected and off the quota system. From what I have seen so far I don't believe it and will continue to help where I can. I was suprised at Klassen's comments about it at the seminar mentioned above.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:19 AM

This is our study and if it fails it will because we trappers didn't step up. However that's not happening, we are having good results. This study was brought about by the ATA and the ACA, (who have proved to be a friend to the trappers), because of the concerns you guys are stating.

Gordy is probably right. There will be an element inside of ASRD who would see the wolverine as a charasmatic species and not above using them to accomplish their own agenda. So what else is new?

Well what's new is instead of being run over by that agenda we're doing the research needed to start finding out the true story of wolverines in Alberta.

As a trapper I do not want to trap any animal that is in trouble but I am convinced we have a sustainable population and the present quota system is not based on science, and we're doing a poor job of wolverine management. Many traplines could sustain increased harvest.

We all logically know that habitat change is the biggest threat to wolverines not trappers. I'd suggest that trappers fill out the basic survey but add in what ever additional information you'd like. Track locations or sightings would be awesome.

Thanks for all the interest and a big thanks to everyone who has filled in the survey. Heres the pic of the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gulo Feb 25.jpg (53.7 KB, 586 views)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM

I have a few pics from my line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DNA pics 186.jpg (114.5 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg DNA pics 243.jpg (112.8 KB, 608 views)
File Type: jpg DNA pics 194.jpg (114.6 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg DNA pics 233.jpg (114.6 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg DNA pics 227.jpg (114.3 KB, 578 views)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned

Default Fantastic!!

WOW, nice pics. That's a fantastic specimen of a wolverine. Good Job!!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Turbo, I imagine there were lots of other pics over the time the wolverine was there. How long do you think he was at the bait?
Also Brian, by the length of the camera time how long did your hits on baits stay around?

In the case of both wolverines did they take all the bait eventually to stash it or just eat a bit off and then go?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 PM

wolverine hung around for a couple hours at a time. They mostly chewed away but when they could get larger chunks they hauled them off and I assume stashed them
Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Just saw a wolverine South of Bonnyville...1/2 a mile from my house. Very surprized to see one that far South, and that close to houses, mine is not the only one. Unfortunatly no pic, I was checking for Mink sign along a creek on private land.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM

Wow that's unusual but seing them in Airdire and St Albert so who knows. You physically saw it?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Yes, Deer hunting right by home. Neibour said he saw it a couple days earlier, and I didn't belive him until I saw the unmistakable tracks in the snow. Then there it was, same area my neibour saw it in. Must be a carcass under the snow in the area that it is feeding on. Hopefully some clown doesn't shoot it because he has never seen one before.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM

I have enjoyed looking at the pics posted so far. Anything new with this study? Any new pics to be posted?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Just came across those pics - outstanding. I'd love to see one.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM

The study is going again this winter. We have 30 trappers with camera setups across Alberta. I've been getting video and photos and will post some later.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 PM

we have lots up north here.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:25 PM

NWT - seen a few over the years hunting caribou on Gordon Lake Winter road
Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 AM

Default Local Wolverine

Guys, just for the record, had a wolverine in my horse pasture by Wabamun lake last year. I believe they are more common than we think. Probably moving into the fringe boreal forest as result of heavy logging in foothills.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:29 PM

Default response

interesting grey wolf Did you see it personally?
Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Default Pasture Wolverine

Brian, yes my wife spotted it first, I took out the binoculars so got a very clear positive ID.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 AM
Banned

Default Funding Shortage

I see in the last ATA magazine there is a shortfall of funds for the Wolverine Study for this year. This study sure got off to a good start and some real good data, pictures and encounters recorded. I find it fascinating what has been discovered about wolverines so far. See the ACA website for project information.

Brian maybe a sticky on AO would help generate some funds. I hope this project will keep going to give us a much better understanding of the wolverine and it's behavior.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM

All research is funded from different revenue streams and I volunteered to raise money from the trapping community. I've been some what successful but we can use more funds.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:31 AM

So far three females and two males have been collared. Great results in a short time.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Banned

Good show!! That should obtain some interesting information! How far apart were the captures? I guess what I mean is are they from totally different areas? (North Alberta, Foothills etc.)
Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Good show!! That should obtain some interesting information! How far apart were the captures? I guess what I mean is are they from totally different areas? (North Alberta, Foothills etc.)
I guess it's all a secret...LOL
Old 12-23-2013, 10:29 PM

National Geopgraphic has an interesting show with great footage on a wolverine raised by humans. There's a short video segment at
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...the-wolverine/
Old 12-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
National Geopgraphic has an interesting show with great footage on a wolverine raised by humans. There's a short video segment at
http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...the-wolverine/
I saw that one. Very interesting and well done.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:10 AM

Sorry for delay in response. 7 wolverines collared now. All are located in NW Alberta in the Rainbow Lake area for now. Also doing work up in Bistcho Lake area.

While Steve's tame wolverines are cool to see in action, they're fat and domesticated. Doubt they could survive on their own.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

Thanks Brian! It's going to make for some very interesting data!!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Trapline cabin

Brian, enjoyed your latest article in April AO on your line cabin build with your family. How did you handle the permit with Forestry/F & W, or did you just follow the 98 guidelines and let them know your plans. Please PM me with details. Thanks Wolf