Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-10-2017, 08:57 PM

Default Unique Power Ram sets

We've got a bit of a discussion going on in the BADS thread and I thought I'd start this one to avoid further derailing of Hunterdaves thread.

I was interested to hear Thunderf/x was using camlocks in conjunction with power Rams. It's something which had previously crossed my mind but I dismissed. Maybe I've been underestimating the number of coyotes backing out of my snares?

One unique (I think?) set I've been working on is using a wolfmaster ram with 55 inches of cable. When I build the snare I include a wire whammy and a BAD. This allows me to make a nice coyote size loop and still have a fair bit of cable left. I use some 9 wire as a snare support. I can then hide the Ram around the backside of a tree or brush to conceal it. I don't have many of these out but it seems to be working on the catches I've made.

I tried a similar thing last year using a double ferrule as a whammy but I found since there is no swivel I was always fighting a twist in the cable. The wire whammy allows me to twist the snare into the proper position.

I have another idea utilizing two Rams for a fence set but it hasn't progressed beyond the idea rolling around in my head.

Last edited by Tfng; 01-10-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM

No camlock on this one or BAD but it is upside down!
works fantastic and easy to hang and set. This one is anchored at the spring coil. I have now changed it up to anchor by the non trigger eye end.
This set has caught two so far.
Snare loop is actually suspended but the photo makes it look like its on the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upside down ram.jpg (95.3 KB, 222 views)

Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 AM

That's a nice location! Did you add that paige wire in there? It seems most of my coyotes don't cross that close to the post.

I like the upside down ram, it's up above the line of sight. Seeing as how it's in a fence there's no danger of someone walking into it. It'd be nice to hang them from a tree like that but it doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 AM

That's a nice location! Did you add that paige wire in there in a previous year? It seems most of my coyotes don't cross that close to the post.

I like the upside down ram, it's up above the line of sight. Seeing as how it's in a fence there's no danger of someone walking into it. It'd be nice to hang them from a tree like that but it doesn't seem like a good idea.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:39 AM

Why not?
Hang it from a tree upside down. It is just hanging lightly by a nail. Looks good and keeps things off the ground where his nose is way too often. I do not see anything wrong with it and it works. I have them hanging that way from the top wire of a fence too except with light tie wire so it breaks away when pulled!
Hopefully, someone with more experience will chime in soon.
That set is untouched other than the RAM.

Last edited by Thunder/FX; 01-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM

My concern was when its hung upside down the arms travel up instead of down. No big deal for a coyote but I get the odd nosy person checking my snares. None have permission of course but people don't recognize the power stored in that ram.

Maybe I shouldn't worry about it, I don't know.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't worry, it'd be a he'll of a surprise.