Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2007, 02:56 AM

Question Sunrise/Sunset table Question

Like the title implies. If your City/Town is not listed in the sunrise/sunset table what do you guys use to determine legal hunting times? The closest city/town that is listed? Like useing "Corination" if you lived in Medicine Hat? I have heard some guys use the Sunrise/Sunset times that are shown on "The Weather Channel" or other similiar means (Local Newspapers, ect) for the area they want to hunt. Is this acceptable?
Old 10-29-2007, 05:54 AM

I would just use the time that is closest to the longitude you are hunting.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:03 AM

You can go by the closest town, or go to Enviroment Canada's website find the weather for your town and it will give you the sunrise and sunset for it and it is way more precise.
Also most GPS's have a built in sunrise sunset feature.
I'd also be leary of relying on the published sunrise sunset tables from the regs they have from time to time contained some errors.
Always double check with another bonifide source.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-29-2007, 07:41 AM

I use my GPS. It is exact for right where I'm at that day. Some times you'll see 5 or 6 minutes difference from one spot to another in the same WMU. I push it right to the last legal minute but I always have my GPS with me to prove I'm on the right side of the law.
Surprisingly most days legal light ends a long time before the dim or can't see period that many call the end of the day.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 AM

I am usually done before legal time as in low light conditions the old eyes have a hard time.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 AM

Try to use the closet town with similar longitude but also latitude. The closer the better.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:10 AM

Thumbs up Thanx

Thanx for the info everyone. I figured it would be better to ask the experienced hunters here instead of takeing the chance and being wrong. It's my second year hunting and the first with out an experienced hunter with me. I am also takeing my cousin out for his first deer hunt. We got lucky and got drawn for White-tail Doe and Mule buck/doe in WMU 118. I'll keep you all posted on our journey. hopefully we will get some nice pics to go along with the story. I am going for my fist Mule Buck and White-tail buck this year so with any luck I'll find something nice.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 AM

I remembered trying to help one of my sons in his school work about getting a explanation about sunrises along the same longitude and the reason for the differences. You can't use a time in the north or south just because it's on the same longitude as you are. Lethbridge is located 112° 48 longitude, Edmonton is located 113° 31 longitude and Calgary is located 114° 10 longitude. Lethbridge is the most easterly, then Edmonton and lastly Calgary. So using longitude it should stand to reason that sunrise would be first in Lethbridge then Edmonton and lastly Calgary. The sunrise/sunset times for November 30, 2007 are Lethbridge 8:05am/4:34pm, Calgary 8:16am/4:34pm and Edmonton 8:25am/4:19pm.. I personally would use the published times closest to the area that I'm hunting in and wouldn't push the limits.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:29 AM

Default Spoke to a Warden

I asked this very question a couple of years ago when a warden visited our camp. His advice was to go by the listing in the regs closest to where you are hunting. He told me that taking a violation of a few minutes to court was like trying to get a conviction on a speeder for 52 in a 50. It isn't going to happen. His advice to me was if it's a blatent violation you will be prosicuted. Given the tables may not be precise for your exact spot, your watch a couple of minutes fast, the wardens a couple slow just use common sense and you won't end up in the fire.