Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Default Scrapes and Rubs?

I know it's still way to early to start finding new scrapes and rubs but I was wondering when new ones start showing up in the whitetail woods? I would like to monitor a few with trail cams as it seems I'm having one heck of a time trying to get bucks on film(or should I say electronic memory) this year. Does, moose and black bears are all I seem to get on trail cams in an area that has a 2:1 doe to buck ratio. Also wondering if anyone has advice on the best places to find them or creating your own mock scrapes? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBucks4Me View Post
I know it's still way to early to start finding new scrapes and rubs but I was wondering when new ones start showing up in the whitetail woods? I would like to monitor a few with trail cams as it seems I'm having one heck of a time trying to get bucks on film(or should I say electronic memory) this year. Does, moose and black bears are all I seem to get on trail cams in an area that has a 2:1 doe to buck ratio. Also wondering if anyone has advice on the best places to find them or creating your own mock scrapes? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Most bucks are still in velvet, so when they start peeling, u will start to find scrapes and rubs. I've heard of guys pulling the tip of the tree over, and tying it to the base with string, creating a licking branch. Have heard it works, but have never tried it myself. Let me know if u try it and it works! Good luck
Old 09-10-2011, 09:55 PM

What type of trees do most of you find rubs/scrapes on or under?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Coniferous trees are a favorite in areas I hunt...scapes near/under them.

LC