Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Question cartridge question

I'm reasonably new to shooting and am wondering which brand of ammo hunters have found works best for killing big game like elk. I have a .300 win mag and have been practicing with federal power-shok 180 grain shells. There is a lot of choices out there and many of them are similarly priced, I'm trying to narrow the choices a bit.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:28 PM

well sport!
the short answer...all of them!
the long answer...none of them!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Honestly the most important thing is where it goes.....If you are shooting a .300 then any brand that you can shoot into 2 inches at 100 yards will do just fine. Seeing as you are a new hunter put more emphasis on the hunt and the experience than the bullet choice IMHO.

You can read here and in the magazines why one thing is good or bad. Just focus on making a good humane one shot kill whenever possible and you can judge by the results (once you have personal experience with) what will work for you.

That being said I use Winchester Power Points and Sierra Game Kings and Hornday Interlocks in my .300 and it has killed Elk, Moose, and Deer with one shot (mostly) very few follow ups and has always lead to meat in the freezer.

LC
Old 09-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Good to hear.... I'll keep practicing and trying different ammo. thanks for the advice.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:47 PM

One thing to add....more expensive doesn't equal better (and this coming from the guy who shoots Weatherby's!.....but I also reload for them )

If buying ammo I would buy the cheapest, best shooting (in my particular rifle), suitable (varmint loads for varmints, deer loads for deer) ammo there is from a known manufacturer (Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc...).

Marketing is designed to get hunters not animals remember that!

LC
Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Accuracy will determine which bullet weight and brand your rifle likes.
180 grain to 200 works best for me in the 300 mag.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
I'm reasonably new to shooting and am wondering which brand of ammo hunters have found works best for killing big game like elk. I have a .300 win mag and have been practicing with federal power-shok 180 grain shells. There is a lot of choices out there and many of them are similarly priced, I'm trying to narrow the choices a bit.
It says on the package what the correct grain should be for the type of animal, even up to Bison, so Elk would be on that list somewhere, and a .300 Win Mag is a modern ammunition. What grain does the box recommend?

Someone told me something and they used the word "bonded" bullet when describing the quality of the ammo, so if it says that somewhere, than it is fit for use.

If it does not work, than you can sue for damages.

Last edited by tolkcraft; 09-05-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:55 PM

Id just focus on which brand shoots the most accuratley in your particular rifle
Old 09-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Id just focus on which brand shoots the most accuratley in your particular rifle
X2. It doesn't matter what it says on the box. If your rifle doesn't like one particular grain of bullet or manufacturer move on to the next choice. Have fun with it. And like someone already stated the elk doesn't care if you use the $80 box or the $50 box. Enjoy your hunt and make sure you know your rilfe and YOUR LIMITATIONS when deciding if you are going to take that 8000000 yard shot. Good clean kills are what everyone should and hopefully on this forum strives for.

Good luck on your hunt

Joe
Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkcraft View Post
Someone told me something and they used the word "bonded" bullet when describing the quality of the ammo, so if it says that somewhere, than it is fit for use.

..... bonded means that the jacket is "bonded" to the core it has nothing to do with quality it is more describing a characteristic of it

..... Not sure where you get your information from....What does it mean to you if it doesn't "work"....it doesn't go "boom" when you pull the trigger??
LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 09-05-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:

You really need to stop listening to the people that are telling you such nonsense.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 AM

I had some Game King ammunition and it had the animal logos on the box. I think that it was the Game King that does that, and than I had Fusion ammunition which might not provide that kind information. I have also heard of the "match" ammunition which is what they use for shooting targets, and some say that they can be used for hunting. Anyway, if you stay with the "game" ammunition than you at least have the right type.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 AM

Thanks again, folks. It's good to hear what the people who 'know" have to say. After a trip to the range and a couple out into the woods, I have a feeling that I'll put many rounds through this rifle over the years to come. So far the Federal Power-Shok shells are consistently putting holes in pieces of paper.