Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM

Default Anyone have any experience with toxic broadheads

Looking for some first hand info on the toxic broadheads been watching and reading lots online and thinking about trying some out this season for my archery moose. So just wondering if any of you have used them before.

Thanks
KW
Old 06-25-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

Cool

IMO you will need a fair amount of kinetic energy to realize optimal success.
They are a rather different design than most, and I have heard of several vertical bow hunters being less than impressed with them.

Not really apples to apples, my experience is with medium-heavy crossbows. Only shot a few targets, and one whitetail buck with these. Chew the hell out of targets btw. Whitetail was a pass-through at 3/4 angle (in behind last rib, out through opposing carotid artery). Incredible results. Extreme blood trail, and went less than ten steps. The "meat worms" they refer to in their adverts are real. Impressive. Shot was taken at almost exactly 50 yards.

But to put that into perspective, I was shooting a measured 285 pound Excalibur Matrix 380 with 400 grain arrows. That set-up produces over 125 foot pounds of kinetic energy.

One of my Buddies shoots an even heavier crossbow (Excalibur Matrix 405). He frequently hunts wild boars (ranched) in Alberta. And he uses Toxic broadheads exclusively - for a reason. Never had anything less than a pass-through, always had extremely good blood trails, and all recoveries have been short. The kinetic energy of his set-up is even higher than my own.

As noted, I have heard some complaints form a few of my buddies shooting lighter vertical bows as far as penetration goes.

From that I'd suggest if you are shooting heavy enough draw poundage, with a heavy enough arrow, they will perform well for you. If either of those conditions cannot be met, there might be something a tad better out there...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 06-25-2017, 05:10 PM

They core, not cut. Deer size ok....but there are better choices.

LC
Old 06-25-2017, 06:24 PM

So you wouldn't use them for moose lefty?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:52 PM

they don't core like it does on a watermelon ... I have heard nothing but bad reviews
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-26-2017, 02:16 PM

Reviews for penetration aren't great and they are apparently noisy as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 AM

Default Toxic

Shot an elk at 40yds, 500gr arrow around 300fps, arrow tipped with Toxic. Arrow did not pass full through but was poking skin opposite lung side. Used my knife to make a small slit and retrieve head. Elk made it maybe 40 yds.
They shoot straight and got it done for sure. Arrow head is as new, for sure reusable.
I am a broadhead junkie, so I have moved on to a bunch of other heads.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
So you wouldn't use them for moose lefty?
I wouldn't, not a fan of the design at all.

LC
Old 06-28-2017, 08:04 AM

I had a less than ideal experience with them. Shot a cow elk at 21 yards and got very little penetration. I am shooting a 80 lb bow with 538 grain arrows going 289 fps and my kinetic energy is 99.6.

I managed to track her and put a slick trick into her killing her. The toxic hit one rib going in and just entered one lung. 4/6 half circle blades broke off as well.

I will be sticking to my slick tricks that give me pass through's on elk every time
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM

Ya I'm a broadheads junkie need to try everything not sure why but that's how I am haha. Picked up a pack of them to try out maybe I'll use it on my doe this year.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:42 AM

No personal experience with them but my brother did try them out and have a tough time tuning them. I'd give them a pass
Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Went to Cabela's Saskatoon and see in the Bargin Bin, Toxic 100gr on for $35.00 - regular 50 something. I too pondered buying these but after watching a days worth of archery reviews online I went to Wasp. People I talked to at Cabela's had no answer as to why Toxic is discontinued......?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:29 AM

my buddy dropped a beautiful mule buck with a toxic broadhead last year.
theres a some videos on youtube of guys dropping deer and seen one of a moose go down pretty quick from one. I tried them and found to fly all over the place. maybe its just me , don't know
Old 07-04-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

I have a buddy who has few harvests with them loves them lots of dead elk and deer I've seen the blood trails quite impressive
Old 07-04-2017, 02:41 PM

I ended up getting them for pretty cheap at bass pro and shot them yesterday I got a decent group at 30 yards which I wouldn't be shooting any farther then that. I didn't notice them being as noisey as people claim. Will have an arrow in my quiver with one on it this fall. I'll try them on my doe.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:31 PM

I can't stress my opinion enough - on moose sized game, they get almost NO penetration, and if you hit bone, they almost stop dead. Two years ago I finally got my prairie moose draw, and after three wounded bulls (all three I hit exactly where I was aiming and less than 40 yard shots), I switched out to my tried and true Montecs and got my bull the following week. I might have hit the shoulder blade with one of the shots, but definitely not with the other two. I think I got unlucky and hit ribs with the other two shots - either way, the arrows stopped - and one shot it actually "bounced" back.
I'm an outfitter, and a couple years ago had a guy up who killed a mule deer with a perfectly placed shot with a toxic broad head. He said they were great for whitetails back home, so maybe the problem was with the thicker bones on the bulls I hit - I don't know. All I can say is that I would rather stick with simple, one-piece broadheads. I can't say enough about Montecs.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Banned

I've seen the wounds from them il see if I can get some pictures his toxics had no issue going through ribs and shoulders. Only broad head failure I've seen was a 3 blade rage
Old 07-04-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I can't stress my opinion enough - on moose sized game, they get almost NO penetration, and if you hit bone, they almost stop dead. Two years ago I finally got my prairie moose draw, and after three wounded bulls (all three I hit exactly where I was aiming and less than 40 yard shots), I switched out to my tried and true Montecs and got my bull the following week. I might have hit the shoulder blade with one of the shots, but definitely not with the other two. I think I got unlucky and hit ribs with the other two shots - either way, the arrows stopped - and one shot it actually "bounced" back.

I'm an outfitter, and a couple years ago had a guy up who killed a mule deer with a perfectly placed shot with a toxic broad head. He said they were great for whitetails back home, so maybe the problem was with the thicker bones on the bulls I hit - I don't know. All I can say is that I would rather stick with simple, one-piece broadheads. I can't say enough about Montecs.

Arrowed a 4 th moose in one season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post

Old 07-06-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagevalleyoutdoors View Post
i can't stress my opinion enough - on moose sized game, they get almost no penetration, and if you hit bone, they almost stop dead. Two years ago i finally got my prairie moose draw, and after three wounded bulls (all three i hit exactly where i was aiming and less than 40 yard shots), i switched out to my tried and true montecs and got my bull the following week. I might have hit the shoulder blade with one of the shots, but definitely not with the other two. I think i got unlucky and hit ribs with the other two shots - either way, the arrows stopped - and one shot it actually "bounced" back.
I'm an outfitter, and a couple years ago had a guy up who killed a mule deer with a perfectly placed shot with a toxic broad head. He said they were great for whitetails back home, so maybe the problem was with the thicker bones on the bulls i hit - i don't know. All i can say is that i would rather stick with simple, one-piece broadheads. I can't say enough about montecs.
wow
Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's cool, you can wound as many animals as you like, so long as you don't tag them!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
It's cool, you can wound as many animals as you like, so long as you don't tag them!
Really? Inexcusable behavior among our crew...

Wondering,
Nog
Old 07-21-2017, 09:55 PM

Cabelas in Saskatoon has them on sale.

Discontinued. No one knows why.

In the bargain bin, believe they are $34.99 for the 3 pack 100gr.