Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Default Unusual Catch

When I pulled a triggered black hole mole trap the other day found only intestines. Never saw that before, didn't think moles were canabalistic and since the trap was not uncovered did a re-set. Today, found the trap 10' from the hole with a weasel inside. Damned unfortunate because he obviously had figured out how to get into mole runs.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 PM

Have caught weasels too unfortunately. They're the good guys!! Have also found salamanders and garter snakes in the traps. You have to watch for the voles that get caught butt first as they have some wicked teeth!
Old 07-23-2017, 02:33 AM

I've been dealing with one of those furry *******es today...twice filled the trap with dirt

Wonder what a firecracker would do.....
Old 07-23-2017, 08:45 AM

We had a Vole the other day, the boy thought to fill the hole with water, so he stuck the garden house down a few holes and a couple minutes later the little bugger came right out. Caught him in a coffee can and away it went.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Default Fillin with dirt??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I've been dealing with one of those furry *******es today...twice filled the trap with dirt

You've got a smart one to deal with! I use "The Giant Destroyer" cartridges on those guys. You can get them at Peavey Mart for sure,; don't know about Crappy Tire or? It gives off a poisonous sulpher gas when ignited. First, you find as many of the burrow entrances that you can and dig a bit to make sure the tunnel inside each is fairly clear. Then close off all the entrances but one; I use small pieces of plywood with a rock on it to seal the gas in. Clean out the last entrance wide enough so that you can place the lit cartridge into the tunnel. Then, making sure you have a piece of plywood and a rock or weight ready beside you, light the cartridge and place it well into the entrance. Best if you can put it into the actual tunnel. Obviously you DON'T WANT TO BREATHE THIS STUFF IN so take a big breath before you light it up. Cover the entrance and stand back. If you see too much blue smoke coming out of any of the tunnels, quickly add more dirt. I have used these cartridges on large infested areas and couldn't believe how effective they are. Good luck!!
Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post

I trapped out the pocket gophers on our trap and skeet ranges last year. I found that setting the traps at about a 30-45 degree angle(entrance to trap facing down) helped to catch the ones that would back fill the traps. It took almost a week to get them all, as we had about a dozen of them , and a lot of tunnels were established.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

Install a Pest Pool

Use 4 litre plastic bucket buried with top level with surrounding garden contour,

fill with water to inch below top of bucket,

place 2 parallel sticks ( sticks 1/2 inch wide and flat) place the 2 sticks parallel a couple of inches apart , across the bucket ( sticks to be pretty much even with dirt)

The dirty little SOB's for some reason can't resist falling into the water and they do not paddle water for long,

And it works 24/7 , replace water every few days, even if there is already a " floater in the pool" more others will take the plunge,,,,
Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM

A rotto tiller works good for a while.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Since I already have it, I reset the trap using elk's idea, tuned the trigger, and camouflaged the entrance of the trap with leaves so he has to get farther in to investigate...I hope. If I don't get him in the next day or so, I'll take things up a notch. To be continued...
Old 07-23-2017, 02:16 PM

Success!! Two hours and got it. I put some large dandelion leaves on the bottom of the tunnel, in front of the trigger and over the trap. Also angled it like elk suggested. Problem is, its a female with big tits. About the only time that's a problem. Reset the trap so we will see.

Stupid pics not uploading. Lol. Kill a deer, nah, everyone knows what a deer looks like. Kill a mole, HOLY CRAP LOOK GUYS I GOT EM!!!!