Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2014, 08:01 AM

Default cat creek

Anyone know anything about this creek out in kananaskis. Just saw pics of a cool waterfall you can walk to and was wondering if the creek has decent fishing. Trying to find some new spots for the summer
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM

If your talking about Cataract creek. Yes you can but after the flood all the roads leading to it were washed out. Zero access last year I tried to get there. You couldn't even get to the k-country boundary.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
If your talking about Cataract creek. Yes you can but after the flood all the roads leading to it were washed out. Zero access last year I tried to get there. You couldn't even get to the k-country boundary.
Cataract was my first thought as well, but if you do a quick search you'll see that cat creek is a different stream. From Longview along the 541 / 40 you pass by cataract where it joins the highwood and continue past the turnoff to the 940 as well. The parking lot for cat creek interpretive trail is on the RHS of the highway a few km past the turn to the 940 (with the highwood and cataract being on the LHS).

I'm also a bit curious to hear what kind of replies you get as well since I'm always trying to get out and check out some new water every year!

Rycoma - just a note, but the road into cataract is open again. I believe it's only open between the highway 40 and the campground, but it's my understanding that there will be access to cataract again this year. You can check the road closures by going to this webpage
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM

Not cataract creek. It is cat creek I'm talking about on the north side.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:19 PM

That's the best news I've heard all day
Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 AM

Agreed Ry, hopefully they can get that entire road up and running sooner than later. Such a great area.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:38 PM

I haven't fished it yet. It has a pretty low flow and shallow by virtue of its location, so over wintering will be tough. Might get lucky with some small guys in the deeper water
Old 02-22-2014, 04:26 PM

Fish it! Post results.

unless you catch a bunch of 16"+ cutties, in which case just PM me

I've found that very few creeks DON'T hold fish... I spend most of my time on creeks that other folks just drive over. I won't get too many monsters that way (it does happen sometimes), but I'll often find myself sight fishing for hordes of little cutties or brookies if I'm stealthy enough.

If it's a highwood tributary, I'm sure you'll find some fish there.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire