Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2014, 06:31 PM

Default Going to Placentia, Belize. Any tips

We are heading here in a couple weeks time. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on the area in regards to fishing. I am bring some spinning gear with me. I have fly fishing gear but don't have the proper fly fishing gear. Any ideas or suggestions on the area, guides, your experience etc would be greatly appreciated. The place we have is north of Placentia on the ocean side. Just wondering things like if you catch stuff from shore in the ocean or in the lagoon, can you find local guides to show you around or take you out. Thanks
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM

You're going to a placenta in Belize!?

Sorry, haven't done SW flyfishing, but would be interested in what the experience was like and seeing some photos, when you get back.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 PM

Good area for Permit I believe. Also lots bonefish and some tarpon.

Tarpon tip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn1bsyPCzUU

Last edited by goldscud; 02-07-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
You're going to a placenta in Belize!?

Sorry, haven't done SW flyfishing, but would be interested in what the experience was like and seeing some photos, when you get back.
I'll for sure post some pics when I get back, hopefully of a couple fish with any luck. Should be interesting, never really been anywhere much outside of Alberta or BC so it should be an interesting trip. I got a bud that fishes lots that advised me on some spinning rigging so hopefully that helps a bit.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Good area for Permit I believe. Also lots bonefish and some tarpon.

Tarpon tip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn1bsyPCzUU
Thanks gs. I guess permit like eating small crabs lots so I have some good bait hooks and was thinking of just finding some crabs and fishing them by hooking the crab and chucking it out with a weight to sit on the bottom.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:00 AM

I looked into fishing in the caribbean some time ago, when I was thinking of going there. There are flies that are designed to look like crabs. This one is an especially good example:

I would guess that by varying stripping speeds, and by letting it sit occasionally, you could get a pretty lifelike presentation.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Thanks gs. I guess permit like eating small crabs lots so I have some good bait hooks and was thinking of just finding some crabs and fishing them by hooking the crab and chucking it out with a weight to sit on the bottom.
http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Gulp!...product/59452/

Get a bunch of these with some good hooks if you are spin sating for them

Bauer flats crab in tan if you are fly fishing for them
Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM

I caught a nice sized permit off the beach two days ago with a nine wt fly rod.
If you spin cast walk a long the beach at night with a flashlight a find little blue crabs cut them in half and put them on your hook and cast out in the morning. Lots of Permit cruising the Oceanside of Placencia. When getting a guide get pricing on multiple day trips, I don't think you can go only once! Lots of baby tarps Behind Placencia in the lagoon. The lagoon is very very big comparing it to the average lake in Alberta. The best fishing is the Cayes and flats off shore up to the reef. Up to 20 miles offshore from Placencia. You can look for cheaper fishing than the guides by looking for local fisherman with not so polished pangas. They all know where the Permit and Tarpon are. I would not tell any of them you want bones. Tell them you are interested in permit and Tarpon and you will get many shots at bones anyway. The people are very nice and helpful.
Permit are very difficult to fish with success. Imagine trying to sneak up on a herd of just shot at Elk. Casting long distance with great accuracy is the norm.
Be warned, very addictive. Go out on the Cayes with a guide and your gal, she will love it if she never takes a cast.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:36 PM

Thanks so much for the replies so far.

Lannie, what is the deal with not telling them you want bones? What would a local or guide charge you for a day roughly? Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:26 PM

You're on the right track - just catch some little crabs, keep them alive in a bucket, and then hook them through the side of their shell with a circle hook. That way they stay alive and provide lots of fish-attracting action. Use a float if there's any current, (wine cork works fine), cast out and let it float away. They only need to be a foot or two under the float. Learn about circle hooks (you don't 'set the hook' on a strike). They're used almost exclusively when fishing in Florida.
Bring a small dip-net with you, - flipp'n rocks at low tide will yield lots of little crabs but catching them with bare hands is a challenge!
Make sure you have some heavy mono to use as a leader, but your main line can be as light as you wish.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Thanks so much for the replies so far.

Lannie, what is the deal with not telling them you want bones? What would a local or guide charge you for a day roughly? Thanks again.
Set your goal to Permit or Tarpon. You will always have bones close by to take shots at. Guide rates run from 250 to 400. You will want more than one day so set up a deal on those terms. I just made a deal for three days with one guide for 275. US/day which I believe is good value. You can share a boat which works out very well if you are mostly wading. If you are trying to catch Tarpon and need to take turns casting on the deck of panga its one guy at a time. I Like to bring my gal and take snorkeling breaks. Every cast is mine and I do a trip every 2 days. Lots of different fish will end up on your hook. I got a couple of Jack Cravellies (spelling)yesterday that look close to permit and fight really well too.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 AM

Thanks Lannie for the tips, muchly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:42 PM

Try to track down Ian Cuevas, a local guide who took good care of me a few years ago. I think he guides out of Stepping Stones Resort but can work independently too. He resides in Monkey River which is a few miles south of Placentia. He has a good boat and can take you out for bonefish permit and baracuda; also, he is a knowledgeable fly fisherman/guide. We caught a lot of small bones and had a few shots at permit but couldn't get them to take my flies. Trolled up some barracudas which are a blast if you don't care about your flies surviving very long!
Good luck!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:11 PM

I have fished with Ian Cueves a few times now, he is awesome. he will supply fly gear if you ask him in advance. I believe I paid $300/day with him, they are long days! here is his info:
Ian Cuevas
633-6852 or 660-0735
email iancuevasfishguide@yahoo.com
please post pics