Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM

Default Newbie Fly fisher.

Hey everyone, I'm new into this fly fishing stuff and I was told you can only use certain flies with the wild trout, is there certain flies that they only feed on or is just randomized? How can you find out what they like!

Just looking for tips an such thanks!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM

There is a million different options for flies to imitate natural feed and attractor patterns. Wild trout will bite whatever fly they consider food or angers them at the time.

For choosing flies think of what food source it is they are feeding on at that time in the system you are fishing. This is a good starting point.

It is really just like any other form of fishing just different gear.

If you have a species and body of water you plan on fishing I bet members here could give you some suggestions on flies to try
Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchslayer View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new into this fly fishing stuff and I was told you can only use certain flies with the wild trout, is there certain flies that they only feed on or is just randomized? How can you find out what they like!

Just looking for tips an such thanks!
Not sure what part of the province you are in but there are many hatch charts available to help give you an idea what flies to use here is a link to just one of many.
http://www.countrypleasures.com/hatches_and_tackle.php

Elk hair caddis, stimulators, copper john, pheasant tail nymph, wooley buggers foam hoppers are always good flies to start with for trout. It really depends on what areas and time of year.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Banned

Match the hatch reads are your best friend.
Simple but true.
Good luck.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:22 PM

Start with native cutthroat, they aren't terribly picky over what fly or less than stellar presentations
Old 02-17-2014, 11:50 AM

When I started I just went with some basic patterns, experimented on different water until I found what worked consistently and then built up from there. My box usually had a few bead head pheasant tails, a couple san juan worms, some elk hair caddis, a royal wulf or two, and a couple of stone fly patterns. They seemed work wherever I went. Have a look at Jim Mclennans books and that should get you started. Which part of the province are you in?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Icky fly works has a a couple starter packages for the bow and alpine and basic dry and wet fly kits look up top right you will see icky 10 percent off on flies for members to.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM

PM me I have compiled several links to all the hatch charts I can find in the Calgary area.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM

where are you planning to fish and what time of year...
Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 PM

Smile

Perchslayer, there is a very easy way to know what flies you should use. First of all no matter what stream, river or lake your fishing at. Do a bit of research and not just on a forum. Talk to your local fly fishing shop. Go to a meeting of you local fly fishing chapter. Like, Northern Fly Fishers, or the Hook and Hackle club. Talk to people who fish where you fish. Or where you would like to fish. Or take a lesson. Most fly shops offer lessons in casting, fly tying and entomology.

If it's trout your after and by your question you asked specifically about "wild trout". Don't look past stocked ponds and lakes with hatchery trout in them. They can give you some success and confidence when starting out. Confidence means not only in the fly that your using. But also in fly fishing in general. Too many people pick up a fly rod and expect that it will be easy to cast and easy to catch fish. Nothing worth while is ever easy.

Here is a link to all the ponds and lakes that were stocked in Alberta for 2013. For the most part the list remains the same each year. http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Sto...s/Default.aspx

For what flies to use there is a very simple method. Find out what bugs live in and around the waters you want to fish. Be observant. Look around. See what kinds of bugs are flying around the area. See if any bugs are landing on the water your wanting to fish. Turn over some rocks near the edge of the water and see what is living on around and under them. Watch the water to see if there are any feeding trout, and look to see if you can see what they are feeding on. That will give you an idea of what flies to use and what color. You don't always have to "match the hatch" perfectly. Sometimes a close imitation will be good enough for a hungry trout. Wild trout and hatchery trout will both be just as eager to take a fly.

Good luck out there,
Tight lines.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks everyone, I can already tell all your advice will be helpful! I just want the ice to melt now sick of ice fishing wanna get out on the water not the ice! lol