Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 09:26 PM

Default Snow blade for a quad - need some recommendations

I’m in the market to buy a new or used snow blade for a quad. Looking for recommendations on brands/features. Thx!
Old 10-21-2020, 10:30 PM

A lot of manufactures for atv plows. Warn, Meyer, Western, Kolpin, KFI ETC... first question is how big of an ATV as you don’t want to go so wide that your machine won’t be able to move it when pushing a full load of snow. I guess depending on how much snow you get is a factor as well. One feature I like and I wish my truck plow had was a tapered blade. Having a tapered blade allows the snow to stack higher on the outside. Same theory as a highway plow. Left aide is say 16” tall and right side is 24” tall. As for brands my personal plow is a Meyer and I have had very good luck with it these past 3 seasons. I would most likely look at one of them or possibly a Warn just because they are prett synonymous with the atv world. Expect to pay for the name though... oh one other thing depending on the surface your plowing you may want a rubber or poly cutting blade vs a steel one. Especially if your driveway or sidewalk is some type of decorative concrete etc...
Old 10-22-2020, 06:44 AM

If the Can-Am version of a snow blade could be modified to fit other brands of ATVs, I think I would look at those. UHMWPE blade combined with a top mount pivot. Been looking at those, but the price tag is too high.

I'll stick with my snowblower for the time being I guess.

J.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:56 AM

I've had a Moose plow with manual lift and center mount (under the engine) on a Honda Rubicon. It was an excellent plow, but when you removed the Moose skid plate that serves as the mounting plate for the plow attachment arms had 4 steel "hitches" that protrude down and hang up when you are 4-wheeling with the quad and no plow. I thought that was a big draw back to that system. Also the plow does not raise very high with the center attachment, just a few inches above the ground.

I have a Warn plow (sold by Yamaha) on a Yamaha Grizzly now. The lift is the stock Warn winch on the Grizzly. It raises the plow WAY TOO FAST unless you modify the Warn lift system, which I did using a frame with a boat trailer roller attached to the front rack, and an 8' piece of seat belt fabric in lieu of winch rope. Works well now, you can control the lift and lower height with the winch control. The front mount on the Warn doesn't interfere with 4-wheeling when the plow is off, but the blade tilts lower to the near side when you have the plow angled either direction. Overall, I am not as impressed with the Warn as I was the Moose, think it is a tad poorer quality (thinner), and the blade floats are inferior as well on the Warn. The Warn with the front mount will raise way up for pushing snow into a taller pile versus the center mount Moose. Good luck!
Old 10-22-2020, 11:16 AM

I ordered the mount for my machine from the states. When I looked into it, there was a huge variance on the price of the mount. My local dealer wanted double for the same thing.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:32 AM

Get the Warn used one over 20yrs. Easy on easy off I have the one with the push tube, Also mine lifts up and down with the winch.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:42 AM

I plowed countless thousands of tons of snow with my 2002 Yamaha Grizzly with a 50" blade. Unless it is hard packed you will be amazed what it will push.
I had a 60" Moose with very aggressive tires. All this crap of plastic blades and so on is not required, unless you are plowing in your living room.

I have heard that some of the can am UTV's are not suitable for plowing though, they are too high strung and require high RPM to make any power.

Check kijiji- actually I think I may have one lying here, if I do you can have it. I will check today

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2020, 11:46 AM

For around my acreage I use a Quadivator 60" on a 2004 Bombardier OUtlander 400. Raising and lowering the blad is via the winch. Connects with HD ratchet straps at the front and through your hitch at the rear. No brackets required on the bike. Changing the angle of the blade is the only thing I need to get off for, there's a rope on a release that allows you to turn the blade from side to side. The blade has some adjustable skis for height adjustment.

http://www.quadivator.com/blade.html

I found mine on the Facebook market place, but I notice there's a dealer locator on their website.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Yamaha Grizzly with 60" Warn blade. Order from and delivered by Amazon.ca because local prices were way out there...this was three years ago. I enjoy using it ....up/down via the winch and manual blade angle adjustment.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Warn makes a great universal fit plow that is easy to put off and on, just two quick connect pins and hook up the winch. They also make an electric lift that is really slick and does not use the winch. If you use the winch, take your regular cable off and use an 6 foot piece of synthetic rope or nylon strapping. Makes the up and down way more controllable and it is far easier on the winch. Also doesn't put a wear spot on the end of your long winch cable. I have had a 54" Warn, push tube centre mount on my Quad for 20 years. It has plowed hundreds of miles of snow, only thing I have to replace every couple of years is the wear bar that bolts to the bottom of the plow, I quit bothering with the little ski pad things at all, about $85 a pop off Amazon.
https://www.warn.com/plow-systems

If you have the right quad many make plows for their units. The OEM plows by Polaris for example are really good, despite the fact I don't like Polaris machines.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-22-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:08 PM

There is a complete setup on facebook in Vermilion for $250
PM.me your cell # and I will text the pic if interested

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2020, 04:47 PM

I just put the warm provantage 60” tapered snow blade on and love it so far. Had to swap out the metal edge for a polymer one for the paved driveway. Using it on a Honda 500 with no issues.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecutter View Post
For around my acreage I use a Quadivator 60" on a 2004 Bombardier OUtlander 400. Raising and lowering the blad is via the winch. Connects with HD ratchet straps at the front and through your hitch at the rear. No brackets required on the bike. Changing the angle of the blade is the only thing I need to get off for, there's a rope on a release that allows you to turn the blade from side to side. The blade has some adjustable skis for height adjustment.

http://www.quadivator.com/blade.html

I found mine on the Facebook market place, but I notice there's a dealer locator on their website.
These work awesome, I have the 60 inch version which I used with my quad. Sold the quad and made an extension so I could use it with my side by side. Works great, a wider blade could be used with sxs but I'm fine with a couple extra passes. Changing the angle worked for me with quad without getting off, not on sxs. Nice thing is it's not manufacture specific, transfer as needed.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:29 PM

I have a 220 pound 13 year old. Works great. Hard on fuel. The odd tantrum, but responds well to the threat of unplugging the Internet.