Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2020, 03:13 PM

If I'm hunting. PB&J x3 are always packed. Nothing better on a packout/ drag out to boost up your energy. I also pack a bag full of gummy bears.. When you have 80# of Elk quarter on your back and 2km trip back to the truck a few of them stuffed in your gob will make you feel like Superman. lol
Old 10-21-2020, 04:11 PM

Sandwich for hunting? Not me. Beef jerky and pepperoni sticks for me until i get back to camp for dinner

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2020, 05:53 PM

Special BLT's done with rye bread, butter, bacon, romaine, tomato, thin sliced onion, salt and pepper, then good mayonaisse. Makes my hubbie go wild.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:25 PM

Morning sandwich with coffee; cinnamon raisin bagel with a very liberal amount of Nutella

Lunchtime; Jalapeño cheddar bagel with ham & swiss, mustard/mayo.

I love jerky but in November it takes about 40 minutes to chew a single piece!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:39 PM

Bread & a can of Oysters can be pretty good.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:52 PM

Holly man... some of you guys have pretty “developed” tastebuds!

Anyone here eat green onion ‘n butter sammiches? Mmmmm major acid reflux but worth the pain.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
Holly man... some of you guys have pretty “developed” tastebuds!

Anyone here eat green onion ‘n butter sammiches? Mmmmm major acid reflux but worth the pain.
I was thinking it, but didn't want to say anything. I remember as a kid watching my Opa making headcheese, and blood sausage, and liverwürst, after slaughtering (and catching all that fresh blood in the stainless bucket when my dad would cut the pigs throat)....

Three things I won't eat, ever. On a sandwich with sauerkraut, or horseradish, or hot mustard....even my dogs wouldn't eat it, sorry.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-21-2020, 07:44 PM

Smoked Channel Cat on Fergasa with Cream Cheese, Red Onion and Capers
Old 10-21-2020, 07:51 PM

During hunting season I buy the lumberjack sandwich from Safeway that comes on an entire French loaf for about $9.99. Cut it into six pieces and is good for two people for the day.

I always joke that I couldn’t even buy the ingredients and make it myself for that price.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:57 PM

A great breakfast sandwich is toasted rye bread, mayo, mustard and a thick slab of head cheese

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:02 PM

Head cheese....have you seen it made? Do you know what it is?? Erkk.....the only thing worse is blood sausage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_cheese

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloo...20by%20country.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-21-2020, 08:03 PM

Safeway Deli makes a fantastic sammich ....... smoked turkey breast, roasted red peppers, red onion, pesto, mayo and havarti .... with your choice of veggies WAY better than Subway and cheaper
Old 10-22-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Head cheese....have you seen it made? Do you know what it is?? Erkk.....the only thing worse is blood sausage.

I used to make head cheese when I worked at Burns Meats in Winnipeg, quite gross looking but pretty tasty when you picked it out of the vat LOL.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2020, 07:19 AM

This morning I had what I call a "bohunk". I fried up a couple of pieces of kubasaw and put a slice of the kub between two of those mini donuts. Not the healthiest, but great with a hot coffee. You won't find these downtown either.

BW
Old 10-22-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Yup I used to help make both head cheese and blood sausage as a kid on the farm, good stuff 👍 👌 in fact we used to clean our own casings for the sausage now thats a ****ty job, literally 😑

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 PM

Starts with your favorite bread - I like pumpernickel or an Italian roll - the chewy torpedo kind ...

Then dress some shredded iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, and tomato in a bowl and add a splash of red vinegar and olive oil some salt and pepper.

Pile on Sopprasetta or Calabrese (spicy Italian salami), some beer sausage or salami of your choice, and some honey ham (or black forest) shaved thin but piled.

Top that with provolone or Swiss.

Add some mayo to the bun and add the dressed lettuce, onions and tomato.

You can also add Ajvar (a pepper spread that comes in hot or mild if you like).

Make sure you have a garlic dill pickle or two and some banana peppers on the side to munch on. I often have some roasted red pepper too or some artichokes.

Nevermind baloney or peanut butter .......... which is great ........ but this is the pinnacle of sandwiches.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This morning I had what I call a "bohunk". I fried up a couple of pieces of kubasaw and put a slice of the kub between two of those mini donuts. Not the healthiest, but great with a hot coffee. You won't find these downtown either.

BW
You win.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I was thinking it, but didn't want to say anything. I remember as a kid watching my Opa making headcheese, and blood sausage, and liverwürst, after slaughtering (and catching all that fresh blood in the stainless bucket when my dad would cut the pigs throat)....

Three things I won't eat, ever. On a sandwich with sauerkraut, or horseradish, or hot mustard....even my dogs wouldn't eat it, sorry.
Oh man! I know. I saw my grandfather do the same in the barn and then my grandmother stirring the pot cooking and tasting as it cooked. The smell of iron... unforgettable....
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 PM

Default Sammies

Thick slice of red onion, cheddar cheese, mayo & pepper, wash it down with favorite beer. Tastes best on Saturday afternoon while the wife is out getting her nails done.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Sammich...not sandwhich..... .....unless

SAMMICH(N)

A sammich is a true work of culinary art - a term reserved for only the holiest and mightiest of all sandwiches. Any old schmuck can throw ice cream between two cookies and have an ice cream sandwich. ​ Sandwiches make a good snack, but sammiches are forever....

Sandwich means a dish or foodstuff where two or more slices of bread serve as the wrapper or container of some other food, whereas A sammich is a type of sandwich. Sammich is a term reserved for only the holiest and mightiest of all sandwiches. A sammich is a true work of culinary art; a feast on a bun, if you will....

A sandwich, with connotations of extra goodness. For example, if you pour gravy on a roast beef sandwich, you now have a roast beef sammich

Now if what you folks chuck together doesn't fit the criteria of a sammich then so be it....but I tell ya mine do

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 10-23-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:44 AM

Shaved venison topped with onion, sharp cheddar, pickles and mayo heated until the cheese just starts to melt served on rye bread.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-23-2020, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Shaved venison topped with onion, sharp cheddar, pickles and mayo heated until the cheese just starts to melt served on rye bread.
SAMMICH

Old 10-24-2020, 12:24 AM

I love leftover meatloaf with mayo and dill pickle in a sammich.
Had that yesterday as a matter of fact.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:45 AM

Default Headcheese

I love headcheese from the grocery store. I got suckered in by my mother to make it like they did on the farm. Germans from Russia recipe. OMG! When it was completed I could not eat it. Cutting the pig head and brain in half is what did it for me. BEL
Old 10-24-2020, 11:38 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
I love headcheese from the grocery store. I got suckered in by my mother to make it like they did on the farm. Germans from Russia recipe. OMG! When it was completed I could not eat it. Cutting the pig head and brain in half is what did it for me. BEL
Dam eh.....but it would have been one helluva sammich at the end though....

Old 10-24-2020, 12:20 PM

My “working in the office sandwich” light Rye, roast elk, mayo, red onion and a li’l salt. It’s heaven ...every bite.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Kind of amazed at the large number of people who use regular Mayo. To me that is relegated to Chicken, Turkey, egg salad or tuna salad, as in all of the delicate flavoured ones. Everything else gets a spicy dressing or a good quality mustard, especially red meats, pork, various sausage and ham.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Kind of amazed at the large number of people who use regular Mayo. To me that is relegated to Chicken, Turkey, egg salad or tuna salad, as in all of the delicate flavoured ones. Everything else gets a spicy dressing or a good quality mustard, especially red meats, pork, various sausage and ham.
I’m a mayo guy, hated it growing up then I tasted home made mayo and a lightbulb went on. Nowadays I’m fine with Hellman’s. On heavily flavoured fillings I like flavoured dressings, mustard etc. Otherwise I like to taste the meat.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Starts with your favorite bread - I like pumpernickel or an Italian roll - the chewy torpedo kind ...

Then dress some shredded iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced red onion, and tomato in a bowl and add a splash of red vinegar and olive oil some salt and pepper.

Pile on Sopprasetta or Calabrese (spicy Italian salami), some beer sausage or salami of your choice, and some honey ham (or black forest) shaved thin but piled.

Top that with provolone or Swiss.

Add some mayo to the bun and add the dressed lettuce, onions and tomato.

You can also add Ajvar (a pepper spread that comes in hot or mild if you like).

Make sure you have a garlic dill pickle or two and some banana peppers on the side to munch on. I often have some roasted red pepper too or some artichokes.

Nevermind baloney or peanut butter .......... which is great ........ but this is the pinnacle of sandwiches.

I will be trying this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2020, 01:47 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I’m a mayo guy, hated it growing up then I tasted home made mayo and a lightbulb went on. Nowadays I’m fine with Hellman’s. On heavily flavoured fillings I like flavoured dressings, mustard etc. Otherwise I like to taste the meat.
got into the mayo seen when I was over in Europe...fries with mayo...I remember sitting on the side of the street waiting for the bakery to open as the sun was rising so I can get a few broetchen's and a chunk of Liverwurst....wash it down with some fine red wine......maybe that is what got me into fine sammiches?