Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2020, 01:36 PM

Default Moose Hunting Tips

I spent 10 days archery hunting in 504, and in those 10 days, I had only 1 real encounter where I called a bull in to 15 yds but couldn't get him far enough out of the willows for a chance to let an arrow fly. I was set up and prepared for him to step out downwind of me but he came straight in with a stiff crosswind between us.... we grunted and raked willows at each other for several minutes and at 1 point, I thought I was about to get run over. It was definitely the highlight of the trip but certainly would have been better if I could've gotten him to move 20' and out into the cut line. I've chalked this one up to "That's how hunting goes.." Any tips on getting a moose to move a short distance? I did try to circle downwind of him to see if he would circle with me but it didn't work.
On another occasion, I was walking in to a spot where the rancher had told me he'd seen a cow and a bull hanging out nearly every night for at least a few days. On my way in, after doubling back because of a flooded cutline, I unexpectedly came across a cow standing on a crossing cut line at about 80 yds. I was definitely busted at that point. I figured it was the cow that I was told about and that there was 2 options for the bull:
1. He's bred her and gone
2. He's there and in the bush where I can't see him
I opted to chance #2 and backed off out of sight and started grunting and raking the trees. No response after about 15 minutes.

If you're archery hunting and a moose- bull or cow- unexpectedly crosses your path, how do you handle it?

On calling-
How long do you call in a single location? I tried anywhere from 45 minutes to 5 hours. Calling only worked once for me and the response was immediate. It was luck to set up in the right spot that time.
There was another day when a bull was standing in a spot that I had been calling 5 hours earlier but he bolted as soon as he saw the truck and I never saw him again.

How far do you move between calling locations? I was on foot and calling in spots that were 1-5 miles apart. I would always start in the am in the place I was calling in the pm.

Cheers
-C
Old 10-19-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyh View Post
I spent 10 days archery hunting in 504, and in those 10 days, I had only 1 real encounter where I called a bull in to 15 yds but couldn't get him far enough out of the willows for a chance to let an arrow fly. I was set up and prepared for him to step out downwind of me but he came straight in with a stiff crosswind between us.... we grunted and raked willows at each other for several minutes and at 1 point, I thought I was about to get run over. It was definitely the highlight of the trip but certainly would have been better if I could've gotten him to move 20' and out into the cut line. I've chalked this one up to "That's how hunting goes.." Any tips on getting a moose to move a short distance? I did try to circle downwind of him to see if he would circle with me but it didn't work.

On another occasion, I was walking in to a spot where the rancher had told me he'd seen a cow and a bull hanging out nearly every night for at least a few days. On my way in, after doubling back because of a flooded cutline, I unexpectedly came across a cow standing on a crossing cut line at about 80 yds. I was definitely busted at that point. I figured it was the cow that I was told about and that there was 2 options for the bull:

1. He's bred her and gone

2. He's there and in the bush where I can't see him

I opted to chance #2 and backed off out of sight and started grunting and raking the trees. No response after about 15 minutes.

If you're archery hunting and a moose- bull or cow- unexpectedly crosses your path, how do you handle it?

On calling-

How long do you call in a single location? I tried anywhere from 45 minutes to 5 hours. Calling only worked once for me and the response was immediate. It was luck to set up in the right spot that time.

There was another day when a bull was standing in a spot that I had been calling 5 hours earlier but he bolted as soon as he saw the truck and I never saw him again.

How far do you move between calling locations? I was on foot and calling in spots that were 1-5 miles apart. I would always start in the am in the place I was calling in the pm.

Cheers

-C
If there's lots of sign around I would be calling a lot more than once every 5 miles are you getting out of your truck and calling that's a lot of walking.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2020, 03:41 PM

Default calling

I call for 2 hours, then spend another hour hanging around or travelling into and out of the area I just called into in the morning sessions. Just this early October I was calling in the pm, 300 yards from a rut pit near a pond and nothing came in. the next am I backed off about 600 yards up a poplar ridge and called down into the area previously called from. It was a crystal clear calm morning, nothing came in in two hours. We packed up the quads and slowly travelled down toward the area of the rut pit. A 37 inch bull stepped onto the cutline. He was coming late to the call, but hanging around the area called into has payed off many times for me.
Old 10-19-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
If there's lots of sign around I would be calling a lot more than once every 5 miles are you getting out of your truck and calling that's a lot of walking.

I suppose I could've explained that a little better. It's an area right on the edge of a bunch of deeded land, lease land and crown land with one road in and out. There's numerous lease roads and cutlines in the area. I'd drive along the main road and park at a cutline or lease road and walk a quarter mile or 1 or 2 miles, find one or two places to call in that distance. As the crow flies, of all the places I parked and walked, is probably 5-7 miles for the two farthest points.

Let's say you walk 2 miles in one direction, and there is moose sign around... how often do you call in one place? How far between calling spots?
Old 10-19-2020, 04:17 PM

I guess it depends on how fresh the sign is if there's Rut pits around if there's a Rut pits around I would spend a few hours at least and more than likely come back the next morning or that evening

Old 10-19-2020, 08:16 PM

If I'm busted from a moose be it by sight or sound, I will grunt as i walk towards them and keep a tree or something in between us. Bulls do this lots of the time anyways. Usually i can get to 20-40 yards and a clear shot as long as they dont wind me. Doesn't work all the time but you will be surprised how much walking noise/movement you can get away with if they think you are a moose. And sometimes this will pull bulls in that are nearby a cow if they think you are hitting on their girl. Don't be afraid to use aggressive tactics.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:35 PM
Gone Hunting

First off, an hour in one location is just getting started.

Second, they will sneak in on you so if you hear nothing, don't bet there is nothing.

Third, they can hear you ten times as far as you can hear them, and they can pinpoint your location from hundreds of yards away.

Forth, never try to put the sneak on a Moose, you'll get busted 99.9% of the time.

If you called one to within 15 yards your calling is fine, wait him out, he'll move when he wants to.

Wayne has good advice, returning to where you called the previous evening or that morning has resulted in many a Moose in the freezer.

Actually, everyone's advise is spot on as near as I know.

I almost forgot, when they start raking willows, that's a challenge for you to go to them, reply in kind then wait. Don't rake again unless he does.
Make him come to you.

A little trick if they hang up, trickle some water into a puddle if such is nearby.
Make em think there is a cow with the rival bull. That will usually get them moving your way.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 10-19-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:59 AM

As previously stated, calling in the evening will often get you a bull in the morning and vice versa. If a spot looks moosey (yeah thats a word) I'll make sure Bullwinkle has lots of time to wander over.